Airliner III Group Build Chat

feoffee2

12 minutes ago, TrojanThunder said:

Looks like you will just have to update your build thread Alan, I think you may not be able to add any more photos to the gallery. Try by all means though.

Love to see the pictures where ever you post them.

I can see the there now, Troj. By the wonders of Photobucket (Rhymes with.....) it took me ages and three tries to get them copied!

Voted.

The Heron and the Sea Devon both inspired me to look out my own 'historic' attempts.

The collection of 1/144 airliner liveries was mind-blowing. Great work guys.

But, I finally went for the Junkers F.13. 'Futuristic' aircraft in a bonkers 'Metropolis' sort of way, great build, exotic location (yeh, I know Reykjavic is about as near to me as Paris!). I just love it - I'm going to get one and build the only British registered F-13.

• Like 1

looks like there is a clear run away winner - and well deserved too. This has been a great GB and I've enjoyed being a part of it

Thanks to the mods - especially Ray - always there to lend a gentle nudging hand or words of encouragement! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well done to Ian on producing a lovely winning model. In the end my preference was for the SAA DC-4 but it was a very difficult decision to have to make, there are a lot of high quality builds here.

Thanks to all who took part and made it such an enjoyable GB to be a part of. I managed to reduce the stash by two and I am well on the way with the A320 build that I started - I'll post photos over in the RFI section when it is finished.

I look forward to meeting you all again in Airliner IV at some point in the future. :)

• Like 2

Congratulations Ian, and thank you all for your participation over the last few months. I was pleasantly surprised to see 90 entries and have 40 finished, it was a great effort by all. 

You've all done very well! (in my best Mr Grace voice)

Looking forward to seeing those unfinished airliners in the Aircraft - RFI forum one day soon and on behalf of Luke (feoffee2) and I again thank you all for the great spirit and contributions by all in the GB.

If you are still hankering to contribute airliners to next year's GBs then a few candidates are the Made in Great Britain, Radial Engines Rock, De Havilland, Prototypes and Flying Boats GBs. I have a BAC 1-11 and Lockheed Constellation earmarked for some of those :D

• Like 2

Well, I wasn't expecting that sort of response!

Thank you to everyone who voted for me, and for everyone who took part in the GB as well as Ray, Luke and anyone else involved in running the show.

I had trouble choosing who to vote for and was split between Mitchem's beautiful DC4 and Skodadriver's awesome Britannia. It took a long time to choose, in the end I plumped for the DC4 purely on the strength of the spinning prop photos, I love a model with 'life'! Dave you'll have to get your wife's hairdryer out next time!

I definitely enjoyed participating and following all the builds and really hope there will be another one soon. In the meantime let's make sure we all post lots of airliners in RFI and try to promote our thing!!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2

i'll add my congratulations too Ian.  Your top billing was amply deserved.  I loved Mitchem's spinning props but I always fix mine in place with Krystal Kleer so the hairdryer would just melt the model!

I thoroughly enjoyed participating in my first Group Build and as I said earlier I learned a lot as well.  It's just a pity we have to wait until 2018 for the Boeing 737 STGB - I'll need to find another way of addressing my withdrawal symptoms.

Thanks to Ray for keeping everything moving along smoothly and for being such an encouraging and supportive host, and also to Enzo for his admin work.

The DC-6 is now back in primer and I hope to have it in RFI sometime in the New Year although I have also committed myself to this and this.  The second one is pure madness. Wish me luck!

• Like 2

Congratulations Ian - that win was completely deserved! And Skoda, good luck - those are some very interesting liveries. I presume you'll be using decals for VQ-BAS, and masking all the squares on the Germanwings one?

6 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

The DC-6 is now back in primer and I hope to have it in RFI sometime in the New Year although I have also committed myself to this and this.  The second one is pure madness. Wish me luck!

Two very nice schemes there and good luck with the Germanwings A319. I'm also looking forward to seeing the DC-6 once you have it completed, I still have to decide on a build for the Radials Rock GB and this could be one for the shortlist.

Allow me to add my congratulations to Ian on a stunning build - worthy winner by a country air mile !

Embarrassed to bits that I managed to squeak into second place, as Dave's Brittania was a real corker. All I can say is thank heavens for my wife's hair dryer !

Special thanks to Ray and Luke for keeping us motivated, although the day job still managed to prevent me from dragging my 747 over the finish line.

Until the next time.

mike

• Like 1

7 hours ago, POTKC said:

Congratulations Ian - that win was completely deserved! And Skoda, good luck - those are some very interesting liveries. I presume you'll be using decals for VQ-BAS, and masking all the squares on the Germanwings one?

Yes indeed.  Ascensio decals for VQ-BAS and masked/handpainted squares for D-AKNF which will be a long-term project  :crosseyed:

2 hours ago, mitchem said:

Embarrassed to bits that I managed to squeak into second place, as Dave's Brittania was a real corker. All I can say is thank heavens for my wife's hair dryer !

mike

Absolutely no need for embarrassment Mike, I'm more than delighted with taking bronze at my first attempt.  Apart from the decals my build was OOB whereas you had to modify the engines and, of course, get those props to spin!

• Like 1

Well done Ian, a beautiful One Eleven and thoroughly deserved win. Also well done and thanks to Ray and everyone who participated in the GB, some inspiring builds, enjoyed my first GB and will be back for more in future group builds.

• Like 1