Hi folks,

I hope this is OK here, usually the Warhammer Chaos stuff crosses over between sci-fi and fantasy. If not let me know and I'll move it to one of the figure subforums.

This was one of those impulse purchases which had a life of its own - it came out yesterday, I built most of it last night and primed it this afternoon. Now I have to figure out how to paint it!

15009437903_be54868fa2_b.jpg

Fit was excellent and the joints are mostly hidden by the surface features. I have run some CA into one or two to clean them up, and I need to do a wee bit more based on these pictures.

15629623445_d30ac232b4_b.jpg

As is often the case with the bigger GW kits there were three versions to choose from. Three styles of mouth/tongue, three styles of belly, three riders. You also get forward and back versions of both legs and arms allowing for a wee bit of variety in pose.

(The threes are very apt in this case since that's a magic number for Nurgle, the Chaos god of filth, rot and disease, whose minion this is.)

I went for the guy with the grinning Nurgle face, and didn't add the second belly mouth - a bit too much like vagina dentata.

15629621585_cba99f73bb_b.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the first model I've built where boils were used as alignment pins...

Will

• Like 4

Oh, and the sacred number of Nurgle is seven and its multiples, not three. :)

I went and looked it up and the internet says you're right! Three must be something though because Nurgle's sigil has three balls like a pawnbroker. Lots of threes on this model as well - the boils in the chaos icons, the groups of nails.

Be thankful that I didn't go for the really gross rider options - one of them had a melted face half morphed into a spike, and the other was a cloud of maggots and flies!

If you like this kind of thing there's an even bigger and grosser one coming out next week - the Glottkin:

http://www.games-workshop.com/The-Glottkin

99120201024_TheGlottkin01.jpg

Will

I just had a look at that site and yeah - I can see why you didn't go with the second belly. As funny and as well sculpted as that is, it's still pretty gross. I like the rider with the horn growing from his head as well.

A good feature it liked was the 360 degree rotating image. That was very cool.

Looking forward to seeing you work your magic with paint

Si

Hi Will,

Have you seen the GW paint tutorial on YouTube for this? I watched it last night and now i want one! Might point you in right direction on where to start.

I look forward to seeing this progress as i really enjoyed your treeman build.

Regards

Steve

Thanks guys, I did watch it (athough without sound) and I thought it was really good. They planned out a very approachable way of getting good quality results - e.g. the blending by stippling with a large brush.

I wasn't wild about the scheme though - it meant quite a lot of the model ended up being a sort of dark afterthought, although I guess that did focus attention on the mouths, and help lift the rider out of the top of the mount.

I'm thinking something paler and pinker for mine?

I'll probably not be able to make a start since I want to get a couple of things finished for our club competition next week. I could almost do this, but I think it'd be pushing it and I really want to get the Mark IV and the Anshan done instead.

Cheers,

Will

• 2 months later...

Well I haven't got any more done on this one yet but I have finally started painting some wolves which I assembled and primed last year:

15609721613_09bf9fcf6f_b.jpg

These are actually Fenrisian Wolves (from the 40K sci-fi universe) but I'm using them as fantasy Dire Wolves to go with the ghosts I did before. I think they're amazingly nice models and make the official dire wolves look a bit rubbish.

The plan is to paint them as black wolves (but keeping some cream and red under the longer fur) and add glowing green eyes to indicate the dire-ness. That should tie them into the ghosts without looking too silly. I hope.

So far they've had black primer, and an airbrushed basecoat involving buff, red-brown and black with a blue-black-grey sprayed along the top and flanks. I haven't yet worked out if I'm going to highlight them lighter, or with pure black.

Cheers,

Willl

• Like 2

The wolves have had some drybrushing and glazes on the fur, followed by traditional highlighting on the paws. Black is a weird colour - it's hard to highlight well although it shades OK. I'm trying to keep blue in the mix for the longer hair to sell that as inky black.

16261477665_158974a27e_b.jpg

15641573453_5ba588f9f5_b.jpg

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

I probably should :) I'm doing these to get them done and hopefully get my hand back in at the same time, then the Maggoth Lord is the next monster to paint. I'm on holiday at the moment which is great, but so is my daughter which means I haven't got as much painting time as I'd hoped!

I spent another couple of hours trying to define the fur volumes a bit more. I went around the edges with black wash and then added a couple of highlights to the shaggy edge hairs.

16261616922_17f5ee1cdc_b.jpg

I've also done some tidying up to the washes (which hasn't been 100% successful, I think one of them has deposited some matting agent as it was a bit old - if you look in the crevices some are a bit light?) and other bits and started blocking in the faces.

Will

Really nice work Will. I'd love to stick a red LED in the base and under light them red, I bet they'd look proper evil then!

I sat and watched loads of the GW painting videos as well, learnt a lot on brush painting technique!

• Like 1

Thanks, I like the idea of underglow - I painted these to give them paler bellies per real wolves, but it does look a bit like lighting.

I did the eyes and started the mouths of the other four today - I thought I should take a pic to see if the tongues were too pink, but I think they're OK. The bright gums and teeth will be toned down (and then highlighted again) with a brown wash.

16251248826_1a78486b03_b.jpg

I remembered to put the catchlights in the eyes this time, and have been back and updated the first wolf too.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, look forward to see what horrible things you do with your Maggoth Lord. Which rider are you going to make?

I finished the mouths and teeth (I think) and worked up another face. I like the left side but the right side has come out a bit blotchy and I think the highlights need sharpening up/toning down.

15666617074_d494a90d4e_b.jpg

16103167487_18b1d35b73_b.jpg

Varying the patterns of the white fur is quite fun, it's not going to do anything dramatic but it makes them look like individuals.

Three faces to go!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1