Started the Big Fella!

Started the Airfix 48th Lightning today too. Mostly painting the fiddly bits and making up the sub assemblies.

It's going to be 92sqn version OOB 'cause the missus likes it. Progress so far is mostly relating to the tub:

259hphg.jpg

2dtfgj.jpg

11ql6h2.jpg

Still needs a bit cleaning up but I'm happy. Currently finding nooks and crannies for nose weight. As I tend

to stick to the one scale this makes a really interesting comparison to the WWI Camel build running alongside,

Two single seaters fifty years apart.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, after having been defeated by dodgy decals on my Camel and failing to finish it, I have resolutely decided this one WILL be finished in time. To that end here is the current state of play:

An overall view of construction, the kit went together quite well with one or two exceptions

34ngrb7.jpg

6fo129.jpg

r2no81.jpg

First fit problem I had was with the lower wing panels, my kit seemed to lack any positive stops to stop the lower panels "sinking" into the top panel which made a little raised edge in places.

2h89yra.jpg

My biggest issue was with the nose - the wheel bay has a very precarious location method. I did the best I could but again the knock on effect has resulted in a raised edge at the front of the cockpit (could it be in a worse place!?). I also have issues with the poor fit of the nose intake ring, its going to need a bit of filler. All this said I think I still want a couple more in the stash when time and money allows. Still very much enjoying this GB and very impressed and jealous of everyone else's progress and skill. As always comments and criticisms welcomed.

Ta-ra for now.

• Like 1

That is good progress. Strange that this is the 1/48th kit and yet almost everyone building the 1/72 Airfix kit has had a similar problem with the nose. You would have thought that Airfix could have fixed the nose better, as I think that the 1/72 is a scaled down version of the 48th one. Hope that the rest of the kit is not so troublesome.