1/48th Mig-17, whats out there?

Shaun

I've just treated my self to a Hobbyboss kit and the SMER offering. The HB kit looks lovely in the box, up to their current standard. The SMER kit looks ok, but softer detail and a fair bit of flash, I bought the SMER kit only for the Egyptian rocket rails and fuselage pylons, but I may jet build it...

• Like 1

I built the SMER offering many years ago (Btw is was reboxed by Heller and Airfix, only the markings differed). It needed a lot of weight in the nose to avoid tail sitting and the nose forward of the cockpit needed huge amounts of superglue to button it up. Engraved but a tad heavy with it, non the less it looks very nice when finished.

Trevor

I remember building the Airfix boxing many moons ago. It was very reminiscent of the MiG and Sukhoi kits put out by OEZ in the 1980s. One of the very first Eduard etched brass sets was for this kit.

In the interests of completeness there was also another injection moulded kit - War Eagle I think? that was also boxed by Hobby Craft.

John

I have the current Smer edition, looks like a nice and simple kit!

just bought a Vacform canopy for my future SMER Mig-17 build from Tasman models in Australia

and Master Model canon muzzle brakes and pitots

will buy a Quickboost seat as well, but don't know yet if "early" or "late" will be appropriate!

will be an Egyptian one from the war of Attrition.. accurate decals? whats out there?

Yes, there was a MiG-17 kit (well, at least two there was also the Fresco-D version) from Hobbycraft-War Eagle. This is the MiG-17F Fresco-C version.

MiG-17Fs_zpsb6512972.jpg

Not 100% sure of it's issues, but IIRC, there are some fairly serious shape issues with the nose.

Edited by Don McIntyre

In short: if you already have one, build the SMER kit as the Hobbyboss kit comes with its own fit problems.

If you are starting from an 'inbound logistics' stage, get the Hobbyboss one as the SMER is not without its share of inaccuracies.

The Hobbycraft kit, in this day and age, can still be useful for the absolute beginners (it goes together pretty well) and double as a paint mule once finished.

...will be an Egyptian one from the war of Attrition.. accurate decals? whats out there?

In 1/48th scale, you have this, for example: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/ISL/Hi-Decal_Line/1.48/48001-48010/48005_MiG17F/HD48005.htm

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal10/9801-9900/gal9889-MiG-17-Giavasis/00.shtm

Edited by Diego
  • Like 1