Junkers G 24 he, scratch conversion from G 24 by Plasticard

JWM

Hi

Next old Junkers: the G 24 he. This was late variant of G-24, a civil airplane, a precursor of Ju-52. Variant G 24 he was that one used in Greek (Hellenic) airlines.It was mobilized to army in 1941 and likely some must survived, since they are photos of it in Luftwaffe markings, so apparently after conquest of Greece by Germans in 1941. The model is a scratch conversion of early version: G 24 produced by GDR company Plasticard and then by Revell. I have difficulties with finding good drawing of this machine, there discrepencies between different scatech. Tha basis was an article in Small Airforces Observer and them I collected many photos in the net. Below are examples of materials I was able to gather mostly in net.

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania Junkers G24

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania Junkers G24

{Edit 2017: I reduced to only two schemes, while swiching to Flickr. I cannot find in my comp 3 other photos now}

I made this model in 2006, together with F13, K43 and W34.

She looks like this:

junkers g24 DSC02514junkers g24 DSC02518junkers g24 DSC02517junkers g24 DSC02515junkers g24 DSC02516junkers g24 DSC02513junkers g24 DSC02512junkers g24 DSC02511junkers g24 DSC02510

The conversion was about vertical tail, engines, propellers, canopy, u/c and some small things as well.

There are two photos I made before painting:

junkers g24 w trakcie 2junkers g24 w trakcie

Silver is original kit, grey are parts made of Humbrol body-putty on pieces from plastic plates, light blue are some scratch parts and creamy colour are resin parts made by myself. From resin two side propellers and tail are made. The tail I made copying some surface in resin (by silica "negative") and then cutting it and forming into desired shape. The canopy was glued from separated flat windows.

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 18

Thank you Tony, Joachim and Blue Monday for warm support :)

I appreciate that you like it - I have to confess, that this model remains one of my favorite of my collection.

The Luftwaffe painting (see one of archive photo) would be even more interesting perhaps - is seems that it has yellow wing tips and side engins and likely a part of central engine too, spinners and front of cental engine is black or red? - and the rest is unknown...

"VEB Plasticart" - (Thanks Joachim for correction!) - so it oblige: it must be Plastic and Art ! :)

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Hi Jerzy-Wojtek,

your models are definitely no mainstream subjects! Like your research and scratch-building abilities very much. Good job with the resine props. I have always problems with air bubbles in my casts.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Another inspirational build JWM :)

I have a Bolivian W 34ci languishing in my 'to do' pile, which I was planning to convert from the MPM W34hi (the ci has an open cockpit).

You are showing us that even when there are corrugations involved, these things can be done!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Thank you Mario, Darby and Clif for nice comments! :)

your models are definitely no mainstream subjects!

I am chosing some rare items, perhaps just to amuse the Audience. However - there is something in it , really. Belive or not I do not have yet any ready Ju-88/188/388 nor B-24... Actually I did one Ju88 in my life (40+ years ago, the Airfix one), but I do not have it now. Still I have more than five of each of those families waiting for their turn. On opposide I have done for example three Ju-87, seven Spitfires, four Hurricanes, four Me109, three FW 190, five P51... - so I should consider to make a post with one of them :)

I have always problems with air bubbles in my casts.

Bubles happens to me sometimes also, but then I am filling holes with epoxy putty. BTW - I am using very slow fixing epoxy glue (24 hours to be stiff) as resin. One have to avoid vigorous mixing - then air is not trapped. I was trying vacuum removal of air bubles but it does not work OK - some volatile components of epoxy also were removed in vacuum and my epoxy became more soft.

Thank you Mario, Darby and Clif for nice comments! :)

I am chosing some rare items, perhaps just to amuse the Audience. However - there is something in it , really. Belive or not I do not have yet any ready Ju-88/188/388 nor B-24... Actually I did one Ju88 in my life (40+ years ago, the Airfix one), but I do not have it now. Still I have more than five of each of those families waiting for their turn. On opposide I have done for example three Ju-87, seven Spitfires, four Hurricanes, four Me109, three FW 190, five P51... - so I should consider to make a post with one of them :)

Bubles happens to me sometimes also, but then I am filling holes with epoxy putty. BTW - I am using very slow fixing epoxy glue (24 hours to be stiff) as resin. One have to avoid vigorous mixing - then air is not trapped. I was trying vacuum removal of air bubles but it does not work OK - some volatile components of epoxy also were removed in vacuum and my epoxy became more soft.

Hi Jerzy-Wojtek,

I see that you have a lot more to share in the future! Interesting insight in your techniques. Resin casting is a thing I do not too often, as the components are quite expensive and can´t be stored for a long time. I use an epoxy glue called Stabilit Express (perhaps it is sold in Poland, too) for the air bubbles and finish the surface with normal putty. Not very professional, but it works.

Have a nice Sunday

Mario

• Like 1

Thank you Mario and Perdu!

Mario: The epoxy glue I am using to copy parts is a Distal (prod. Libella, Poland), 24 h version. That which you mentioned I did not met. And epoxy body putty I use is a one for car repairing... It becams fix after 10 minuts.

Perdu: I am playing with scratch build since 35 years, at least. This is the most nice in doing models, isn't?

I am again rescuing my old threads from some bucket to Flickr. Today Junkers: K43, W34, G24, Ju 52, F13, and two Ju 86 (R and SAAF Z - both converted from Italeri kit) perhaps I will manage to do also three Ju 87. 

This conversion of G 24 was one of my beloved, so please forgive me returning it back to Forum...I hope some new members have not seen it ... If anybody nees

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Colin1967 said:

particularly in casting your own parts.

Colin, many thanks. It is not that much difficult. Much easier then playing violin - but anyway one day you need to start practice :) But seriously - just try . I am using a silicon from a tube (bought in a general store) and epoxy glue. Immerse part in silicon and coat it entirly. You have to wait about week for getting silicon ready. Made a trials on some spare parts. Important not to left any air bubles between plastic and silicon. After a week you can cut carefullt silicon with sharp knife, remove plastic part from form and put resin glue instead (I prefere slow glue - 24 h fix). Some people advices polimerization of resin in vacuum, but I have negetive experience with that. The surface of plastic should be untouch - no paint, even no saning. Otherewise you have to use some de-adhesion medium (like thin layer of oil) but here my experience ends. I already casted parts for whole model or almost whole model (For example  in Caproni 309,310 I used many parts copied from Italeri 311, in Northrops Gamma  2e and Delta I used parts copied from Williams Bross Gamma 2a/b, Airspeed Envoy is based on copiy of Pavla's Oxford etc... ). But even more interesting is possibility of copying propellers, engines, tyres, cowlings etc. When I've started doing this a wide filed for scratch conversions opened... Therefore I am reccomending this.

Bernd - many thanks! 

• Like 1