Fujimi 1:72 F4 Phantom FGR2 - 17 Sqd RAF Bruggen 1972

Ok well my obsession with Phantoms continues and in particular I love building the Fujimi kits as they are superb. Indeed this is my fourth Fujimi Phantom this year and I only have one left in my stash! Its a shame we haven't seen more of them since Amerang became the main importers of Fujimi kits - in fact if anything there seems less of them about now than earlier this year!

So this kit is out of the box with the exception of the decals which are the excellent Model Alliance RAF Germany part 1. I used Gunze Mr Color for the paints and various Alclads for the engines and pods and of course Matte varnish to finish it off. I think it is one of my favourite builds of the year.

So now I need to finish of my Hasegawa 1:48 Phantom - Fleet Air Arm!

Any comments welcome

Chris

2014-10-24111204_zps34808ca3.jpg2014-10-24111153_zpsc2bb5bc1.jpg2014-10-24111510_zps841f30fc.jpg2014-10-24111448_zpsa29bd729.jpg2014-10-24111159_zps8cd69438.jpg

• Like 30

Well that certainly brings back happy memories for me, as I worked on XV462 when I served on 17 squadron at Bruggen from December 1971 - june 1974.

It was the best posting of my RAF career, and I LOVED the Phantom FGR 2. You've done an excellent job there, Chris, and I can only hope my 1/48 FGR 2 comes out as good as yours ! :goodjob::thumbsup::cheers:

• Like 2

Hello Chris,

Like Phantoms, like well done models of them and as I live not far away from Brüggen, I like your build even more. Agree with what you said about the Fujimi Phantoms. It´s a shame that good kits of them are hard to find meanwhile and that they are so expensive.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Lovely job! I'm part way through one of these (will be finished in 43sqn markings) and yours has inspired me to get stuck back in.

One annoying thing about the Phantom though, is that if you are brush painting (like me), trying to paint between the splitter plates and the fuselage is a nightmare!!!

GJ

• Like 1

Lovely job! I'm part way through one of these (will be finished in 43sqn markings) and yours has inspired me to get stuck back in.

One annoying thing about the Phantom though, is that if you are brush painting (like me), trying to paint between the splitter plates and the fuselage is a nightmare!!!

GJ

When I do my F-4's I always dry fit the splitter plate, mark the edge with pencil, then paint it before assembly . . . Seemples ! :thumbsup:

Many thanks for all your kind comments - I love building these kits and with the British Phantoms you could easily fill up you house with the variety of schemes! I have to say that since I started using Gunze paints the finish I am getting on these kits is much much better.

Chris

Very nice indeed, cannot have too many grey & green phantoms.

Edited by Canberra Fan