link to original Star Wars models

Ooo Ooo! I think I spotted a bit of RR Merlin and DB 605 on an X-Wing! This will keep me occupied for hours.

Fascinating photographs...thanks for posting the link!

Regards;

Steve

A guy called tom Booth posted this on hyperscale....

I was visited the MagiCam (first Star Trek movie) and ILM workshops in the 70/80s and they both had a room (pretty big too) full of mostly Tamiya kits. Dozens of one kit, dozs of another, etc. The 12th F1s were a favorite. Maybe they got a good deal from MRC direct? Or did they just raid the LHSs from time to time? Made LOTS of good sense tho. Lots of great details for 'peanuts' compared to scratch building. Time's money.

There was also this...

NJIPMS member, Ed Minto, is hunting down every kit part used in the Star Wars ships

Pete

Superb!

In the close-ups, it's quite surprising to see how so many parts don't fit close at all, and there are big gaps.

I've always thought it interesting that many models used in film can actually look pretty shabby close up.

Before computer generated models took over models were created on a budget depending on how much "screen" time they got. Even with large amounts of screen time they were not as finished as many models on here. Point is it really didn't/ doesn't matter when used as a prop. In film they are lit differently and moving blurred images… very different to a static display model under a spotlight in your living room...

Good Find. On a related note here is a link to an astonishing fan made studio-scale model of the Nebulon B frigate. There's a crazy number of plastic kits involved in building that model. http://www.therpf.com/f10/medical-frigate-nebulon-b-studio-scale-build-170037/ It's also huge.

Ross.

• Like 1