Red oxide primer

Monty Python

Have been looking at various sites for a decent match for red oxide primer as used on German WWII vehicles. As far as I can see, Humbrol Hu70 looks to be a useable match. Has anybody else got any ideas on this.

TIA

Chris

Edited by Monty Python

I dont know just what shade you are after but my Humbrol 70 is quite a pink, nothing like the darkish brick red its supposed to be like.

For use on bricks I add some Humbrol 10 dark brown.

I've found this photo (linked from a missing-lynx discussion) which is suppose to be original primer from war time. The area was purposely exposed when some zimmerit was scraped off this vehicle at the Fort Knox museum in the US.

-

stug_patton.jpg

Take into consideration monitor settings, but also the fact that during WW2, the German industry was using natural pigments in their paints, opposed to the synthetics of today. What that means is back then the colour batches could vary, so tracking down an exact shade of oxide primer isn't necessary unless you have an actual paint chip from the real vehicle to compare with.

Indeed as Graham mentions, the red primer found in model railroad paint lines is quite popular for this, while others may chose another brand or even mix their own. So it it seems it is a more personal choice since very few, if any, reveal what their decision is based on?

I know LifeColor (UA231) have bottled a primer specifically for this, but the swatch provided on the internet looks to have a hue of earthen brown:

0_0_productGfx_a574fd29025abe1a232926acd

regards,

Jack

Thanks for the replies, some useful help there regarding different brands. I have an old tin of Humbrol Hu70 which looks as though it's good enough for me. It turns out that what will be sprayed that colour will hardly be noticeable. I have a set of Tank Workshop radiators for the Tamiya Tiger 1 Mid version and after placing them under the grills, you'll probably need a magnifying glass to see them properly.

Everyone is right! (How often does that happen!) Unlike colour topcoats, primers - e.g. red lead, red oxide, zinc chromate - are formulated to a specific chemical composition, rather than for a specific hue. The appearances can vary widely depending upon manufacturer, production lot, application, etc. The primers were not intended to be seen so the actual colour was not that important. Some primer coatings are colourless. Adding pigment helps in the application, as the painters can better see what they've coated. As I understand it, red oxide primer is a reformulation of the old red lead, as lead can no longer be used in paints. During the war it surely would have been red lead primer, the same as used on ship hulls.

• 1 month later...

Red (iron) oxide exists in many forms and in both synthetic and natural versions as Pigment Red 101 and 102 (anhydrous iron(III)-oxide/ferric oxide) respectively.

It is not the same as red lead chromate which is Pigment Red 103 or as red lead (lead tetroxide) which is Pigment Red 105.

All forms existed in WWII. Humbrol 100 Matt Red Brown is a good "generic" for newly applied red oxide.

• 4 weeks later...

Chris,
I've been collecting WW2 German Militaria,Uniforms,equipment and parts of vehicles for the best part of three decades and I can assure you that in my collection of vehicles parts (now long sold!) there were at least 10 different shades of "kommis" (the German for GI,WD anbd so on)ROP,which is absolutely identical to the ORIGINAL Regio Esercito ROP (I still own a tin of it!) and a perfect match for the ROP used by the Russians and spot-on when compared to what the American used and,guess what....you can have the same just by checking at any shop storing automotive primers...IT'S JUST MINIUM/RED LEAD!Don't be too @n@l/obsessed,matey!
Here you go a picture of a WIP of mine primed with ROP I've bought at my local paint shop which is identical to a specimen I had...they made a spray can for me when they told me that they had the very same shade made by an Italian manufacturer!Along with it I'm posting pictures of other WIPS primed with ROP I've found in other shops...tell me which is which!Keep in mind that each and every one is a perfect match to some original item I own,in fact I'll use it as to prime the WIP I'll be working on at that moment!
Cheers
Manu
PC071158_zps98c2a7c7.jpg
436860_zps875fe544.jpg
429685_zps2077e722.jpg

Take a look here as well:
http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=76830
http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=76830
http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=81641

for some time i've been experimenting with primers as a way of pre weathering the top coat.i've found a large can of autotek or hycote red primer is excellent;doesn't look too far off,covers in one coat.at about £5 for a 400ml can,it will prime a hell of a lot of kits!even the mean machine ptimers,£1 a can at the local pound shop gives quite good results.i use the red on lighter schemes,and the black on darker schemes.with a little airbrush practice,some interesting finishes can be acheived

• Like 1