Airfix Lancaster 1:72 - Gibson's Lancaster

FZ6

After being inspired by seeing the two Lancasters recently fly down the Derwent Valley I decided that I had to get out my new Airfix Lancaster and build it.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967818-derwent-flypast/

15310665851_916d51532f_b.jpgDerwent Lancaster Flypast by Marks CVS, on Flickr

I started this build before I realised there was a group build on but as I have not got too far with the build yet I decided I'd Join in with the Group Build.

Lancaster001_zpsb4a6c1a9.jpg

I have bought a bit of aftermarket for this kit. An Eduard Zoom set, some Master gun barrels Decals by KIts-World an I thought I would give the paint masks a try from AML for the main camouflage. The decal sheet is good value and has codes for all 19 Lancasters as well as some generic codes and serials and as a bonus it includes the markings for one of the Tornado GR.4s that took place in the flypast last year. Perhaps I didn't need to buy the Airfix kit just for the markings after all.... I only decided to get the Eduard Zoom set for the instrument panels. I thought the main interior set contained a lot of parts that won't be seen.

I think I'll end up with the aircraft representing Guy Gibson's Aircraft as I have an excellent three part article from Model aircraft Monthly which portrays aircraft where crew members had won the VC and I'd like to build some of these aircraft.

I've taken a few pics to show my progress so far.

I have not started with the aircraft but the upkeep mine and the excellent bomb trolley that comes with this kit. Fit is really good and cleanup is minimal and it looks really good when assembled. The only modification I did was glue a small piece of 10 thou plastic strip over the slot for the draw bar to make it workable. I've also assembled the David Brown Tractor from the fantastic Bomber Re-Supply set to go with it and the tractor and trolley make a nice model in their own right.

Lancaster002_zps7858ab09.jpg

The interior goes together nicely and is comprehensive for what you can see through the windows. It should look good when enhanced by the colour etch.

Lancaster003_zpsebb9f522.jpg

As a word of warning to anyone building this kit the wing spars are a little fragile and the openings for the spars are very tight so if you try and assemble it without cleaning the slots up first the spars can bend and break. Mine are hanging on by a thread now.

Lancaster004_zpse0faba31.jpg

This pic shows the fuselage dry fitted and serves as a demonstration of what can be seen of the interior.

Lancaster005_zps298db615.jpg

The Gun Turrets have also been assembled and seem to fit together really well. If I paint these now I can fit them at the end of the build. I'm going to thin down the ammo chutes on the rear turret as they are a little thick. It was when I removed the clear parts that I realised that there was a large scratch on the inside of the bulged bomb aimers blister so I'll be emailing Airfix for a spare.

Lancaster006_zps133b2c1b.jpg

Finally as I have made a tractor and cart I need to make a base to display the aircraft on which will serve nicely as a photographic backdrop for future projects. I have marked out a frying pan dispersal point on a piece of foam board. I managed to find a diagram with dimensions on another forum stating the diameter was 150ft this worked out a bit bigger than the piece of foam board but the thread stated the dispersals could vary in diameter and quoted other sizes which I could work with so I had to compromise a little but it looks ok. Just need to source a baseboard large enough.

I removed the wings from the sprue to see how the model would look on the base and I think it should be big enough.

Lancaster007_zpsd18c497b.jpg

Next job is to paint the Lancaster interior and vehicles.

• Like 4

Looking good so far but remember that the Dams Raid Lancs were not fitted wih H2S so you can remove the box from the cockpit and stick it in your spares box! This should be a nice little (well OK not so little!) diorama when it is finished,.....very atmospheric!

Cheers

Tony