Handley Page HP 42

diamant

Hi guys

I would like to share with you the latest model made by my father, Raul Hrubisko.

She is the Handle Page HP 42 made from the Contrail kit.The model is quite big. I believe she looks really good.

410233402.jpg

410233403.jpg

410233404.jpg

410233405.jpg

410233406.jpg

410233415.jpg

410233419.jpg

410233418.jpg

Cheers

Santiago

Edited by diamant
  • Like 12

Another beauty. I've never been able to summon the courage to face the Contrail kit, even when it was more available many moons ago. And it is not one that I can see as a profitable choice for any injection manufacturer in these times (though I've been surprised before). The type has an unwieldy dignity that fits a lot of planes from that time period. I probably would have been inclined toward a civil scheme, but the yellow undersides set it off well. I think your dad did a DH-91 also, didn't he? They would look interesting together.

What a fabulous model and one of my favourite aircraft -naturally!

I'd love a Contrail kit, hens teeth though and very expensive. I doubt I could do it justice in the scratch build department, your Dad's model looks truly splendid indeed.

I think if Airfix did ever release such a kit it would sell simply for being so different, especially if the new style box art we know and love was applied imaginatively.

• Like 1

I'd love a Contrail kit, hens teeth though and very expensive. I doubt I could do it justice in the scratch build department, your Dad's model looks truly splendid indeed.

I think if Airfix did ever release such a kit it would sell simply for being so different, especially if the new style box art we know and love was applied imaginatively.

Have you ever built the Airfix 1/144 scale HP 42? Certainly not my preferred scale but, I built one years ago more or less as a novelty. It actually builds into a very nice (albeit fiddly to assemble) model. Quite large even in the smaller scale. Still have another one which I will one day do as a joint build with the Revell Junkers G.38

Allan

Have you ever built the Airfix 1/144 scale HP 42? Certainly not my preferred scale but, I built one years ago more or less as a novelty. It actually builds into a very nice (albeit fiddly to assemble) model. Quite large even in the smaller scale. Still have another one which I will one day do as a joint build with the Revell Junkers G.38

Allan

I'm aware of the 1:144 version but I'm a staunch 1:72 man myself.

Do the moulds still exist for the Contrail kit? Could it be re-released despite it being a basic offering? I'd buy it... :-)

I think the forms were iherited by AIM and I remember rumours of reissuing the kit on this forum or on ARC but nothing came out of it and I stopped pursuing as I found the original Contail kit.

Very nice, was tempted once by it, but never really had the time to do i, especailly after reading a build article in SAM many moons ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Sorry for my late reply. Many thanks for your comments. He is now doing the Airspeed AS5 Courier.

I think your dad did a DH-91 also, didn't he?

Yes, He actually done two DH 91. One from the kit and the other one from scratch.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961864-de-havilland-dh-91-albatross/?hl=%2Bhavilland+%2Balbatross

Unfortunately we still waiting for the decals to complete the BOAC one.

Cheers

Santiago

• 2 weeks later...

outstanding work & very helpful as i wish to do the airfix version & was struggling to find colour scheme details. can i ask which 42 this is as i can't quite make out the name or serial number.

Edited by spaddad

• 2 months later...

That's a great model, my compliments to your dad!

Cheers,

Carlos

I'm aware of the 1:144 version but I'm a staunch 1:72 man myself.

Do the moulds still exist for the Contrail kit? Could it be re-released despite it being a basic offering? I'd buy it... :-)

Unfortunately the Contrail kit is way off the prototype. Not only it misses a lot in chord in the upper wing, but the fuselage cross section is very wrong.

That's a great model, my compliments to your dad!

Cheers,

Carlos

Unfortunately the Contrail kit is way off the prototype. Not only it misses a lot in chord in the upper wing, but the fuselage cross section is very wrong.

If it's not too far out I'd still go with it. The ones I've seen built look good and it truth be told I reckon there are so few references that I'd struggle to notice. Do the drawings still exist? I wonder if Airfix (ideally, -the byword for quality kits these days :thumbsup2: ) could do a kit just from the plans alone, especially now LIDAR is all the rage and the real aircraft is extinct.

If it's not too far out I'd still go with it. The ones I've seen built look good and it truth be told I reckon there are so few references that I'd struggle to notice. Do the drawings still exist? I wonder if Airfix (ideally, -the byword for quality kits these days :thumbsup2: ) could do a kit just from the plans alone, especially now LIDAR is all the rage and the real aircraft is extinct.

I think that enough drawings are available to make a good kit. Len Whalley sells a lot of them: http://aeroplans.webspace.virginmedia.com/index.html

Good scale drawings by Len were published in the November 2007 issue of Model Aircraft Monthly: http://www.aeroteca.com/product-en/22426.

Just had another look at the kit and most fuselage errors can be corrected, but it's no easy task. And I'm not talking about too large corrugations. However, I think that it would be easier to take a block of balsa, detail it, and vacuform a new fuselage. Well, I am a nit picker...