Luftwaffe Colours 2

Shar2

Luftwaffe Colours 2

AK Interactive

boxart.jpg

Paints can be a very personal item to the modeller who can and will stick with one particular manufacturer or at the very least a specific type. The choice of paint in the current market is huge. Well, now there is another set of acrylic paints to choose from, released by AK Interactive, who are probably better known for their weathering products and are also increasing their line of paint. The set comes in an end opening box, with the 17ml plastic bottles contained in a plastic tray inside. This set has been designed for German aircraft, and contains eight Luftwaffe colours,

• RLM 72
  • RLM 73
  • RLM 78
  • RLM 79
  • RLM 80
  • RLM 81
  • RLM 82
  • RLM 83

bottles.jpg

According to the blurb on the bottles they can be both brushed or airbrushed which please a lot of modellers. Once the bottles have been shaken very well colour density looks pretty good, and if they are anything like their armour colours they spray and cover well. Although I haven’t used them with a brush, I cannot see why you shouldn’t be able to get a good finish with them. On the back of the box there is a useful colour chart of which colours go together and depict six aircraft in various schemes. These being two desert schemes for the Me-109, one for an F and one for a G, one scheme for the Arado Ar-196, one for the Junker Ju-52, (the float equipped version being shown), one for the Arado Ar-234 and one scheme for the Fw-190D.

Also included in the package AK interactive sent to us were two bottles of thinners. The standard thinners, in a 60ml bottle is specifically for thinning the paints when using an airbrush and, according to the information on the side of the bottle has been designed to prevent clogging and jamming. The second bottle contains 100ml of what AK Interactive call their Nitro Thinners, a nitrocellulose based thinners which can be used with, again, according to the information on the bottle ,any other brand of acrylic paint. It can also be used to clean brushes and air brushes after use. How well either of these thinners works will only be known when I use them, which will probably be on my next build. After which I will be able amend this review accordingly

Conclusion
This is another set of very useful and well thought out selection of paint colours. The ease of use I’ve had with their previous paints should mean that when I get to use them the results will be just as pleasing. Since my next build will be for a review, it will be good to try these products at the same time.

Highly recommended, subject to testing

Paint set
bin.jpg

Thinners
bin.jpg

Nitro Thinners
bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of
logo.gif

• Like 1

I have never used these paints before but, I am always open to trying new things. Most of my paints now are acrylic & thin well with water. I also use Tamiya acrylics which thin well with isopropyl alcohol. I note these paints have their proprietary thinner. I've always felt that these proprietary thinners cost a lot for a little. Can anybody who has used these paints advise if they work well with the alcohol based thinner as well or, will they thin with water? I've noticed Tamiya acrylics don't particularly like water

Allan