Trying to finish off a failed STGB project. ProjectIM@S F-14D

Dazzio

Hello one and all,

I started this project back when the F-14D STGB was on. I did have every intention of actually finishing it off. However my modelling time is few and far between nowadays :( So I had the great idea of putting this up in the WiP in the hope that the interest from other people will force me to actually get somewhere with it!... That's the plan anyhow and I am going to stick to it! I will start from the beginning with all the groovy pictures then I will upload the current state of play. Here we go :)

13518397865_a1a4ff9b3f_b.jpg

13518718674_7aab2177e8_b.jpg

13518708114_2ed6ed078b_b.jpg

13518452373_6e02852ab6_b.jpg

13518681354_78a03f88d7_b.jpg

13518420913_1af6220bcf_b.jpg

I am really nervous about that mould line down the middle of the canopy. I have been given great advise on how to deal with it, I'm just a little worried that I will fluff it up.

13518482225_4ea30d368b_b.jpg

That is the last that anyone ever saw of it on the STGB. I did work on it, I just never go around to posting the pictures up of it. So here is the work up until now. Gotta love all of those decals...

14408503830_5ced65c4e5_b.jpg

The Pilots and WSO's IP's, I decided it wasn't worth going all out on them as you will not be able to see them. Now I am not too sure...

14572106566_19af722713_b.jpg

First time I have actually used etch. I am really happy with the dry brushing, first time it has really worked for me. I can not remember if those colours are correct or I just decided to throw them down to make it look more important....

14408503430_e05acef009_b.jpg

As of yet the cockpit isn't finished, still need to sort out some belts or something. The vents over the Gatling Gun where utter dog poo. Gotta use a fair bit of filler on that load of fun.

14615216253_6ac06685bb_b.jpg

Air intakes and the fuel tanks, not much to really see here tbh. I like the way these things go together tho.

14608255721_de83314acb_b.jpg

This is as far as I am at the moment. I do intent to have the flaps and slats open. Even still, she is a big bird. I am not used to making models this size as the vast majority of mine are 1/144. Hopeully this will give me a much needed KUTA to sort this one out, lord knows I need it!

Hopefully there will be more pictures soon. I have another... 4 of these IdolM@ster aircraft to make, so I had better get a move on huh?

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hello Everyone,

Finally had some time to get a little bit more done this week, still trying to finish off my Mustangs and Hurricane (nearly there!!). I am not looking forward to the decals for this one...

15472487537_8530c8c41d_b.jpg

Finally managed to get my hands on some liquid gravity, so that front nose cone and been filled to the max with it. I am really liking that stuff, will make the 1/144 models easier to weigh down! You can see the vent's I said where ugly holes where, I am hoping that has been sorted out with the green stuff..

15472316138_cc333b20da_b.jpg

Got the air intakes attached to the main body. Had fun getting them attached, think I am going to have to blast the whole model with white to sort out the internal colours. I can see myself getting through a few cans of Tamiya Primer... :)

15471820119_8aa779939c_b.jpg

Down the air intake nozzle, in reality the first compressor blade is not that shiny... must of been the flash. Shame it isn't seemless, maybe next time.

15038312133_932a85f78c_b.jpg

That is the business end of a jet turbine, looks a little better, I am not too sure if the white I have used is too bright/clean. Well being a Japanese plane, I am going to go with the assumption that the maintenance staff known their shizzle

15471819919_4f8a798009_b.jpg

One of the nozzles, I have tried using Alcad 2 Burnt Iron, I have misted on several coats. Wasn't too sure if putting it onto a black primed surface is working or not. Seems okay... guess time will tell when I get it on the end of the plane.

That is where I am up to thus far, I never thought there would be this much work put into this...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Good on you Dazz for resuming work and nice progress to boot. Hope the build continues smoothly for you from here, and looking forward to seeing the end result - it will certainly be different.

cheers,

Andrew.

The canopy seam can be removed easily, this is my method. Firstly use the edge of a new scalpel blade at 90deg to the seam which no doubt will be a fore and aft type. Just use the blade lightly and try to stay on the seam. What I do next is use a really worn piece of wet and dry and start to rub the canopy. I then follow with micro mesh from 3600 down to 12000 grade. Use each grade at 90 deg to the last. So for unstance if you start with the wet and dry in a fore and aft motion then the 3600 will be across the canopy and so on. Always use plenty of water and don't skimp on changing to the next grade. Once you are happy with the finished canopy wash under fresh water, allow to dry then dip in Klear and allow to dry. Like I said this is my method but I'm sure there are other methods available. Try it on an old canopy if you have one.

Edited by Darby
  • Like 1

Darby, thank you for the "method"... Is that the correct term?? I'm gonna give that a go, if I fluff it (I have no spares to work on) I will have to buy a vacform one. We will see what happens later on. :)

Nimrod and Andrew, thank you for the encouragement, I completely forgot about the KUTA GB! Nevermind, it'll be interesting to add this. :) hope to keep you entertained :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

• Like 1

Last night I had a little time off from seeing the other half, how did I spent that time? Sorting this little one out. Think I am at the stage where I can start painting it. I have got to mix up the paint for it tho.

15673990442_253d07396e_b.jpg

Had some fun trying to make this little thing, I still have got to dirty it up a bit, but least the white is on. :)

15648673656_40541b9d83_b.jpg

tried making some rudimentary seats, need to sort those belts out, but they work I think.

15673989802_104c9a4d5b_b.jpg

Here are the nozzles all fitted to the tubey bits. Might have to tidy them up a little bit...

15672412435_2a862e01d4_b.jpg

This is where she stands as of last night, gonna give her a shot of primer and see what joins need sorting out and such. I am not predicting too many things that need sorting out.

15672412715_eb39510dea_b.jpg

The lovely under side look, I will have to try and sort out that join somehow, dunno where that came from. I decided to have all of the plyons on her, just because I could.

15648707086_6862b8e5f9_b.jpg

Here is my other project, been making this one or the last 2-3 years now. I will get her finished, gotta sort out those guns tho..

As always, tips and advise is greatly recieved. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've done some more work on this wee beastie over the holidays and the last few days. I have done a few firsts with this model. First one is that I have used Halfords White Plastic Primer. It covers really well, but as a primer I've found it to be totally useless. I have also airbrushed Mr Hobby/Gunze Sangyo paints. I have also tried to use the Ultimate range of products, this being the Airbrush cleaner and thinners. The airbrush cleaner is really good and works well. I've managed to mix the paint up and stuck the thinner in. The first go wasn't very successful, look below to see.

15614819914_f4e1f7d450_b.jpg

If you look towards the nose where there is a little over spray of the halfords primer. You can see that the paint was either thinned too much or the primer was useless. I do remember the paint puddling up when I sprayed it. So here I decided to make the paint thicker and give the aircraft a second coat. This gave me this...

15614820094_ab16f123d5_b.jpg

Second coat, looks a lot better. I have painted the other parts of the aircraft. I have yet to give the bottom a second coat, maybe a third as well. I'm going to get a gloss coat on the other little bits and hopefully start the wonderful task of decalling this lovely thing... yay...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 2

Come on Dazz, You are trailing way behind George.

Just think of the months to come, all those decals!

I've been using Halfords primer for years.

Nice thin coats is the answer. Too thick

and it will look like a furry snowstorm.

Allow at least an hour between coats too.

• Like 1

Come on Dazz, You are trailing way behind George.

Just think of the months to come, all those decals!

I've been using Halfords primer for years.

Nice thin coats is the answer. Too thick

and it will look like a furry snowstorm.

Allow at least an hour between coats too.

Think of all those decals?! Are you trying to put me off finishing this model?! Because thats the way you are going to do it! ;) I think this is George's forte, I am just encrouching on his turf. ;)

As a paint the Halfords primer is great, but as a primer, it sucked. The paint I was airbrushing just didn't want to stick to it. Maybe I was doing something wrong??

Great to see this one back on the go, Dazz!

Dermot

Thanks Dermo, I am hoping to get some proper time with this little lady tomorrow. Hopefully at least starting the decals. :)

Thank you both for the encouragement :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio

Most odd with the primer.

I've micromeshed it and/or

polished it with bits of old

T shirt (wash before wearing again)

and acrylic & enamel have both stuck.

That's Tamiya, Humbrol ,Vallejo and

various American brand locally bought

rattle cans. Must be the air where you are!

• Like 1

Most odd with the primer.

I've micromeshed it and/or

polished it with bits of old

T shirt (wash before wearing again)

and acrylic & enamel have both stuck.

That's Tamiya, Humbrol ,Vallejo and

various American brand locally bought

rattle cans. Must be the air where you are!

I thought it was strange as well, I think what I will do with the Halfords primer from now on is to use it as a paint. Altho I might try it with Vallejo and see how that works out. I never polished it... might give that a go. As for the air where I am... I live on an island in the Thames thats below sea level (it really is an island!), being England and everything... :/

Todays progress, not worth a picture but I glossed some parts. Will be decaling some times next week. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

I live on an island in the Thames thats below sea level (it really is an island!),

I'd be building a boat if I were you.

Oh, and check ebay for pairs of animals.

The Halfords primers, when polished with old T shirt

come out with a great scale gloss effect.

• 2 weeks later...

The Halfords primers, when polished with old T shirt

come out with a great scale gloss effect.

I might have to try that later on then, I got a 1/24 car I want to paint white. This might be a good idea for it. :)

So I have done a little more work on it. I would like to declare that I hate Hasegawa decals, they are so thick and they hate bending around anything or even going into the recessed panel lines... I have sprayed the bottom of the fuselage and the wings have had their first coat put on. Hopefully I have enough paint to give the wings a second or even a third coat. Heres the tailplanes... I'm not impressed...

16131211099_f8b274bc60_b.jpg

Let me know what you think...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

So I done some more work on this one, I've finished spraying the wings, however when I went to gloss them, the gloss reacted with the paint on the wing tips and basically made it wet again to expose the primer... I dunno. I am hoping that it will be covered up by the many many many *many* decals I have yet to apply. Got the body work all done, looking to find a varnish that doesn't react with the paints before I go any further with the body paintwork.

16346323736_49d5f6918a_b.jpg

painted a few details on her, just looking to varnish it now.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Thank you Commonstar or the encouraging words. I hope not to let you down with my poor display in model making :P

I had a little time last night when I got home, so I decided to decal the wings... I friggin hate Hasegawa decals! I've taken George-USA's advise and bought 3 extra bottles of Micro Sol. Think I will need them... :/ So picture time...

16354207256_0b9f6b4b35_b.jpg

If you look at the bottom wing, you can see where the paint reacted with the gloss coat or done something. Luckily it looks like all of the "damage" will be hidden by the decals. Still not sure what has happened to this...

16380187005_cd13b97457_b.jpg

Here is where I am with the main wings. Luckily most of the damage was covered. But the Decals are different sizes! So I am going to have to paint the white on... yay! Got to cut the decals too where the flaps/slats are.

16378465541_c8920475c0_b.jpg

The underside of the tail planes. Hoping to get a gloss coat over this one to protect those decals as soon as...

Hopefully I will get some more time in the man-cave soon.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hello all, I had some free time over the weekend. So while it was raining I was decaling the Tomcat. After 3 hours I got this far... The wing to body stripes dont match up... completely forgot they had too... whoops!

16425599512_7d075d9937_b.jpg

Thinking I might make the wings swing back to hide the errors... hhmm.. :/

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to doing some more on this kit. I have to say I actually really hate Hasegawa decals! They are completely useless and break apart for no reason at all. I had fun trying to get Miura-chans decal on, I had to snap the tails off to get her on and even then the decals do not match the body work. I also have to cut off the padded things that are behind the wings, no idea what they are called mind. Don't even get me started on the ribbon decals... this one is giving me a proper fight alright...

16981240646_e12fcbfc8d_b.jpg

She doesn't look too bad there, but trust me... its bad.

16799829507_28a9136266_b.jpg

You can't see it too clearly, but the maintenance panel just infront of the intake is decal 120... jesus wept... I also had a massive failure with the underside decals. Instead of putting MirocSet on the wings, I picked up Decal Film without checking I slapped it all over the wing... the decal was already in the water at this point so I had no choice but to use it. Wiped off the decal film and took most of the purple paint with it... *sigh*... this model hates me...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Got a little more done on this one over the weekend. Getting to the stage where I just want the sweetheart finished. I have learned a bit from this one, will be fun touching up all of the white bits.

16876858858_56b32ab8a3_b.jpg

17063177482_dbb77c6fbf_b.jpg

16878427749_939606b567_b.jpg

The decals for the tails where completely useless (as you can see). So I am just going to trim them off and paint the rest. I had a few of the Sakura decals left over so I have basically just covered every empty space with them. The Fuel tanks are just meant to be purple, but I decided to girly them up too. :)

Getting there...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1