1:72 F-22 build

skipy

So this is my first model aircraft since I was 8 and gluing airfix kits onto vaguely plane shaped objects (Most of them had two wings by the end, even the bi planes). Ive been modelling and painting for years but in the wargaming, figure painting and dollhouse furniture making worlds so this is all a bit of a change. I thought I would do a build thread so you can all see what a mess I make of it!

This is going to be a long build as I cant do much each day and I tend to go a bit overboard on details.

I bought a Revell F-22 kit in 1:72 and immediately found the fine detail was missing in some areas so I went off and purchased the three eduard photo etch kits for this model. That company does some amazing stuff but I'm not quite sure how much of the exterior detail kit I will use as they seem a bit on the thick side for the scale.

First mistake was thinking Revell plastic would behave like GW plastic and not need priming for small interior parts. So the remnants of black on the seat and cockpit are just bits that stuck and wouldn't be stripped easily. Lesson 1 learnt, prime everything! Wasnt a big problem in this case as I had decided to get the detailing kits after the intial painting so I would have had to have stripped parts anyway.

At the moment I'm detailing the wheels by drilling out sections and rebuilding the rear in between adding photoetch parts to the seat and cockpit.

A word of warning before you look down any further. If you have problems with messy desks then close this thread immediately as it seems I'm incapable of working in a tidy and ordered fashion.

snueAXJ.jpg

It seems a full frontal box shot is required in these things (this one is spread out on a bed no less!).

PkqOAF5.jpg

Yes I've had that cutting mat for years, yes I do need a new one and no I probably wont get round to buying one in the next few years.

f7asYxf.jpg

The seat belts do come painted but I figured I would repaint them with the seat so they blend in better. I would have to deal with those shiny buckles anyway.

h6YazCU.jpg

One side drilled out and the other side completely drilled out with a new centre. I need to add the brake system details next and it will also give me something to attach the brake cables to as there was basically nothing before.

If you see anything and think "for gods sake man don't do that!" then please do say as I'm always happy to learn.

• Like 6

Seat looks excellent! The seat buckles will be metal, so it's OK if they're a bit shiny I reckon.

Be interested to see how you get on with the intakes, I was building the Academy Raptor in the same scale and found that area very hard to get tidy. It's stalled in a box somewhere at the moment :(

Will

I went to get my W&N series 7 brushes out of their drawer to start painting the seat and found the bristles have half disintegrated on two of them! Never had an issue like this before but all I can think is that there was some moisture left in the brush and in the 12 months since I've used them they had started to rot or i had not washed out the brush soap as well as I should and that has eaten the fibres away. It was the lower half of both like the moisture had fallen to the bottom. All very weird indeed but they are around 8 years old so I dont feel too hard done by!

So yet more replacement stuff on order, this time some Rosemary & co series 301 synthetics to see how they work compared to sable. They are 1/4 the price so thats a plus

Looking good!

I'd be interested in seeing what you make of those brushes - I'm always on the look out for a good make.

The series 7s are fantastic, in the figure painting world they are basically the best you can get in the uk (dissolving bristle issues aside...) Rosemary and co series 33 kolinsky sable are also brilliant and about half the price. I just thought id give synthetic a go again after all these years and see what they are like now. I will let you know how I get on when they arrive.

Some very dull progress involving moving bulk heads and filling gaps but some photos anyway. Hopefully I can start some more detailing soon.

v2E7RHG.jpg

The photo etch applied to the console. Needs some light weathering and matt varnish

HpKb40b.jpg

Building up the brakes, the filler will be filed back when its dried

bNkH1yP.jpg

One side of the rear landing gear interior with the bulk head moved about 1.5mm back to allow room for detailing.

J4yStDw.jpg

Air intakes assembled with the front locating pin removed so it cant be seen

UNdMv6o.jpg

Interior moulding defects filled (is there a name for the circular dips?)

1rP9cIG.jpg

A black chair that will stay black for now until i get some new brushes that actually have bristles

• Like 1

Nice work!

The round thingies are usually called ejector pin marks - holes (or sometimes the opposite) left where the still-warm part is pushed out of the mould by metal pins.

Will

Nice work!The round thingies are usually called ejector pin marks - holes (or sometimes the opposite) left where the still-warm part is pushed out of the mould by metal pins.Will

Yeah, buy a Trumpeter kit and learn ALL about ejector pin marks :)

Nice work on the 22 so far. Are you going to go for the sheen that they have? Do you airbrush as well or just hand paint? I envy people who can hand paint well. I've never mastered the art of hand painting. Mine still looks like a child's effort.

MH

Nice work!

The round thingies are usually called ejector pin marks - holes (or sometimes the opposite) left where the still-warm part is pushed out of the mould by metal pins.

Will

Thank you, good to know the proper names for things so people know what your talking about. You don't come across them on figures very often.

Yeah, buy a Trumpeter kit and learn ALL about ejector pin marks :)

Nice work on the 22 so far. Are you going to go for the sheen that they have? Do you airbrush as well or just hand paint? I envy people who can hand paint well. I've never mastered the art of hand painting. Mine still looks like a child's effort.

MH

Thanks, I will be aiming for the sheen, the plan so far is a tiny amount of Vallejo air metallics in with grey and black. Will be doing lots of testing before touch the F-22, i suspect its going to be a really hard finish to get looking right.

I airbrush and hand paint. The only way I know to get a good finish over a large area with acrylic hand painting is to thin them down to ridiculous levels and paint it on in dozens and dozens (and dozens) of layers. Doing that on an aircraft would be nuts. The airbrush is just an amazing tool even if cleaning it is a pain.

Ive seen a couple of builds on here that are hand painted and they look amazing, I guess they use enamels which I have no experience with but I presume can be self levelling if your good enough to paint the right amount on.

• Like 1