A-1H Skyradier, 1st SOS, NKP RTAFB 1969

Hi - after many months work, the big Spad is done! You can check out the build thread in the works in progress section - thanks for looking!

IMG_1544_zps942300cc.jpg

IMG_1545_zps6bfdfeef.jpg

IMG_1552_zpscf54613a.jpg

IMG_1558_zpsa373b28b.jpg

Here's one of the scratched wingtip drop-down lights found on USAF machines - made from pewter sheet and clear thermoform:

IMG_1541_zpsfd1f70a9.jpg

The rudder locking mechanism - note that the rudder is angled left, hence some slack for the wire on that side

IMG_1543_zps5a225dd4.jpg

IMG_1537_zps5fa21f96.jpg

IMG_1538_zps699fb7b6.jpg

IMG_1542_zps5916e3d1.jpg

• Like 11

I didn't go mad on the underside weathering as it will mostly be hidden… but leaking oil is a must. If anything, this is TOO clean

IMG_1526_zps48c5cbdd.jpg

The landing gear struts have red painted locking mechanisms to prevent the gear from accidentally being retracted whilst the aircraft is parked. These were simple to make from pieces of pewter sheet. Remember to put RBF tags on stuff like this! Mine are from HGW

IMG_1525_zps2c64d138.jpg

IMG_1524_zpsbd1b7126.jpg

The canopy had a huge mould seam right down the middle. I removed this and after a few dozen polishing sessions this is how it turned out. There are one or two minor flaws visible in the right light. However, I decided against covering the transparencies in future at this late stage as I didn't want it to go wrong. With me, future always seems to either pool (causing blemishes) or go wrong in some other way. I just don't trust myself / it enough to risk ruining the only canopy I have. In any case, it looks OK to me.

IMG_1512_zps5e50b391.jpg

Oh yes - the yellow grab handles are another feature missing in the kit - I made mine from stretched sprue held in the right position whilst it cooled. I attached them VERY carefully with simple plastic cement.

And some more images of the model…

IMG_1523_zps437edcf5.jpg

IMG_1522_zps25fe239f.jpg

IMG_1521_zps9320fe0c.jpg

IMG_1518_zpsab405f34.jpg

IMG_1514_zps969467e6.jpg

IMG_1510_zpsaf103dd7.jpg

IMG_1516_zps3854ac33.jpg

IMG_1506_zps79cc1c2d.jpg

IMG_1519_zps80006e36.jpg

IMG_1505_zps36ee9de7.jpg

IMG_1508_zps9a18f96b.jpg

IMG_1507_zps63839a08.jpg

Here's that 'washed out' rudder - a FUBAR with the dullcote. I think it looks kind of cool!

IMG_1536_zps1cf08476.jpg

hand painted commander's stripes - they look better to me than decals, but 3 mil too far forward compared to the other side - uh-oh! Nice red dive brake interior. Dragon's head decal a little too far forward. Zotz decal originally had a small red square just ahead of the dragon's tongue. I finally figured out that Zotz must have thought it was part of the marking - it isn't. In fact, the little red mark is the red reflective strip found on either fuselage side.. behind the dive brake you can just see the 'towel rail' antenna, which I made from flattened sprue (note - the real thing isn't round but 'flattened')

IMG_1535_zps7a62e702.jpg

I added Verlinden dry transfer data stencils to each weapons pylon for extra realism. You can just see the red trim tab in this photo - I saw that 'Miss Eileen' had this feature in a photo of the real aircraft found in the Wayne Mutza book.

IMG_1533_zpscacb3217.jpg

Dirt, dust and oil… the red wing jury strut was made from plastic rod and brass wire. Strangely, Trumpeter don't seem to include these in the kit, but for folded wings they are essential.

IMG_1531_zps1b5bb611.jpg

IMG_1513_zps3fb76de3.jpg

The engine was built and assembled in stages. Mount first, then engine, then exhausts, then attach that lot, add cowling and finally prop. The prop is from AMS resins and is a big improvement on the kit parts.

IMG_1529_zps6526d96e.jpg

IMG_1530_zps63c0c23e.jpg

IMG_1527_zps0384491f.jpg

IMG_1528_zps4b68c740.jpg

The folded wing was one of the last things to be attached. Various levers and wires had to be added at this stage:

IMG_1532_zps89cb76c0.jpg

comments welcomed as always - thanks for following my build!

Edited by richdlc
  • Like 12

thanks guys!

You'll notice that a wing has been removed. I've scratched a simple cradle / wheeled trolley for it. Once my custom made base and case arrive later this week, I'll make a simple concrete surface to replicate a hangar floor. I'll then display the removed wing, along with a figure to illustrate scale. I have to be careful what I add because I've already entered this in a certain class for Telford - any more additions and it will turn into a diorama. As much as I like doing dios, I think this one is better off in the class it's entered for. I'll update this thread once the base and ther bits are complete, which should hopefully be very soon

• Like 1

Cracking stuff - can't beat a good Spad (I might be just a teensy bit biassed!!) but that is a great Spad. Lovely work and loving the attention to detail - never seen that rudder lock before....

Certainly deserves to place well - good luck at Telford!

ATB
Rick

Absolutely lovely work, particularly around the lovely oily mess these things made! The detail work around the engine and wings is superb, I look forward to seeing it at Telford, I hope you do well, it certainly deserves a prize for the amount of work you've put into it.

Good Luck

Rich