Yellow propeller tip dimensions.

Rick Brown

Chaps.

Just pondering this one and I'm sure it's been covered before but I can't find it.

I'm just doing a 1/48th Spitfire mkxiv and I'm looking at the prop and wondering how far down the yellow tip went.

Was there an exact measurement? Was it dependant on many things?

Etc etc.

Rick.

I go by Mark one concave monocle in the belief that if it looks right then it's fine. I don't know exact measurements but we've all done one or two either too shallow or too deep and we know just by looking it isn't right. Gut instinct, but not after eating cabbage

• Like 1

Hi Rick, I'm sure there was an exact measurement, which I seem to remember translated to 3mm in 1/48. Just squinting at my ruler I wouldn't have thought it was 4mm but could have been 2mm.

I'm sure someone who knows what the hell they're talking about will be along soon.

• Like 1

It makes one pine for those old kits that showed the demarcation as a raised line on the blade. Inaccurate I know but made painting a lot simpler. These days I just paint most of the prop tip yellow then mask off for painting the black part of the blade.

• Like 2

It makes one pine for those old kits that showed the demarcation as a raised line on the blade. Inaccurate I know but made painting a lot simpler. These days I just paint most of the prop tip yellow then mask off for painting the black part of the blade.

Yep, that'd be a good idea again! You could always sand down the line as much as possible so you could just see it.

Mind you, bet the manufacturer would get the line in the wrong place.

I always undercoat the prop, spray most of the end yellow then mask and spray/hand paint the rest f the blade.

I tend to find Vallejo MA black brush paints pretty well and saves on getting the Iwata out.

Rick.