SEAC Hurricane

Ian

Kit - Hasegawa 1:48 JT152.

Paint - All enamels, Humbrol & Xtracolour.

Decals - Almark roundels & kit.

Extras - Falcon vac-form canopy. Quickboost drop-tanks, gun barrels. Ultracast seat, exhausts. Eduard etch 'Zoom' set.

Hawker Hurricane IIc.

34 Squadron SEAC

India/Burma border

Mid 1944.

b62453a1-3459-4cc6-9754-f4efff8de28e_zps

809e06d7-decd-4d82-9246-19196e36dc3b_zps

1515eeba-d0cf-4790-b308-26bb0ab591be_zps

9f5db12f-b7ab-42dd-9f2a-2b6d3f79f3e3_zps

b5d20d01-cd8a-499f-bd04-f69cf333e42f_zps

9f77da0a-e012-4031-aa5f-3949f3d24bbf_zps

f9dfea9b-be30-4cc9-918c-81567dc73c37_zps

51e23922-20a1-4c8d-a562-dac12f9482b2_zps

This (and a Hasegawa Spit IX) were the first aircraft kits that I started after arriving here in NZ two years ago... Quite a sizeable time in the 'Pending' pile , but I'm fairly pleased with it, and it's only the second Hurricane I've ever completed in over forty years of modelling !!

As ever, thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. All questions, criticism and comments are welcome.

Ian

Edited by Ian
  • Like 24

Kit - Hasegawa 1:48 JT152.

Paint - All enamels, Humbrol & Xtracolour.

Decals - Almark roundels & kit.

Extras - Falcon vac-form canopy. Quickboost drop-tanks, gun barrels. Ultracast seat, exhausts. Eduard etch 'Zoom' set.

Hawker Hurricane IIc.

34 Squadron SEAC

India/Burma border

Mid 1944.

b5d20d01-cd8a-499f-bd04-f69cf333e42f_zps

f9dfea9b-be30-4cc9-918c-81567dc73c37_zps

This (and a Hasegawa Spit IX) were the first aircraft kits that I started after arriving here in NZ two years ago... Quite a sizeable time in the 'Pending' pile , but I'm fairly pleased with it, and it's only the second Hurricane I've ever completed in over forty years of modelling !!

As ever, thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. All questions, criticism and comments are welcome.

Ian

Hi Ian

well, it gets my very very picky Hurricane anorak vote.

A few comments/critiques.

the canopy seems to be a different colour?

The wing tips light are moulded with the frame, so if you don't paint the frame, they look too big. A very common glitch on Hasegawa builds BTW

see here - http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_iia/images/hurricane_iia_23_of_31.jpg

The exhaust stain is particularly good, but you missed THE Hurricane oil stain, Merlins leak a lot , and it leaks out the back of the engine compartment, then is blown back by the airflow, leaving a very distinctive stain on the UC doors.

the stain is starting on this shot, note the way the oil is blown back

hurr1-10.jpg

it does get wiped off, but this is an example

hurr4-6.jpg

Once it's been pointed out it's obvious. It would also be very easy to add.

And, to be fair, on a google image search of 'hawker hurricane burma' the ones in Burma aren't showing this! It could be and was wiped off regularly.

here's a really gunky one with a interesting story...

HawkerHurricane1.jpg

This is a one is a a unit hack of a USAAF unit in Italy, converted to a 2 seater [just visible], from the 350th FG,with a sharkmouth, and possibly in US colours, note the serial is applied in the US style and position on fin.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47957&start=15

The inside of the UC doors looks, grey-green, it would either be aluminium or [more unusually] the underside colour.

You did ask for criticism ;)

I frequently groan at many Hurricane models so avoid making any comments, as it would take forever and be unfair.

To sum up, a really great piece of work, I'd be very happy if I got as good a finish.

Now that's nice I like that a lot and for only the second time I've seen a good spinner cap on a hurricane:)

Interesting comment, looks like the stock Hasegawa bullet Rotol too me.

The best shaped bullet Rotol in 1/48th is the one in the Hobbycraft IIC kit!

Then Hasegawa [a little blunt] then Ark, then Monogram, and very definitely last the awful one in the Italeri IIC

Or do you mean something else?

• Like 2

Troy

That's superb constructive feedback. I really don't like the wingtip lights, and will find a different way to do them the next time I build a Hasegawa Hurri' (I have a IIb that will be in 335 (Greek) Squadron colours). I was already conscious that the underside weathering was quite heavy so held back a little, but again, I can incorporate that on the next one.

The canopy... yep you got me !!, It was the very last part of the build. I masked the front 'windshield' of the kit transparency, then (white) glued it into place. Painted and weathered the model, then at the end, pried the canopy off and separated the front and rear sections. I then masked and painted a Falcon vac-form rear section so I could pose it opened... Despite my best efforts this is close as I could get to match the dark green. S'pose I could pretend that it was/is a replacement from another airframe !!

Ian