More B-29 questions - now on the X-1 launcher

CarLos

I picked up the Airfix kit from the stash to have a look at it as I'm contemplating the idea of making the Stratovision aircraft. The kit is better than I remembered, although it seems to have the wing leading edges too blunt (leave as is...). However, looking at some photos, the engine nacelles seems to be not vertical (as depicted in the kit) but perpendicular to the wing middle line. I don't remember to read about this in any review.

Look at the this photo: http://www.40thbombgroup.org/images/Schutte/Katie1.jpg

Can it be an illusion? How's the Academy kit is this detail? And is it much better than the Airfix one?

Thanks for any help.

Carlos

b29-13.jpg

Mackem, there is a helpful backgrounder here;

http://www.earlytelevision.org/stratovision.html

CarLos, the Academy B-29 family is on a different (and much superior) planet to the ancient Airfix one. Some comments here from those who have built it:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54914-academy-b-29/

Frankly I'd go with the Academy kit - it is light years ahead with the only fit problem I found was ensuring that the internal bulkheads were placed correctly otherwise the fuselage halves wouldn't close. However I knew about that in advance of building so I was ready. The Airfix kit is middle 60s in rivets and design and although I built one about 7 years ago I scratch built so much basic detail like wheel well interiors etc. that I had produced almost a different kit. The other problem was that it was clear that the molds had slipped into misalignment which meant either removing steps on every part effected or massive surgery to get things like the wing halves etc. to actually join where they ought. The then fashionable provision of moving parts doesn't help either. So go with the Academy is my suggestion.

I remember building the Airfix one when I was a kid in the late 80's. I remember it being one of Airfix's better kits but I now have the Academy Bock's Car and it is much better. It's a modern kit with engraved panel lines and more detail than the Airfix kit. As a plus you can buy canopy masks (Eduard) which will save time and effort masking the canopy for painting. Airwaves have an etch set to enhance the cockpit interior, True Details do some resin 'weighted' wheels for it and they might be bits you can get for it. I really would recommend at least the mask, if nothing else!

thanks

Mike

FWIW the plan drawing for the prototype XB-29 shows the nacelles perpendicular to the wing datum line, in other words slightly canted outboard. This alignment is emphasised by the 'Y' position of the three-bladed propellers shown on the plan where the vertical blade is perpendicular to the wing rather than the ground datum line. Whether that changed on production models I cannot say definitively at this point in time but will investigate further. Suffice it to say that a head-on view of a production B-29 suggests that same alignment to the wing centre line.

A point of terminology: As on the photo, the nacelles being perpendicular to the wing means they are canted inboard - nearer the fuselage at the top and further away at the bottom. The question not answered in this thread is whether the Academy kit is more accurate in this respect.

Edited by Graham Boak

Another thing to remember based on stuff I have read before is that the main landing gear legs on the Airfix kit are set up as if the nacelles were perpendicular to the ground and not the wing, therefor the legs end up being canted to outboard and the tires (American spelling there :winkgrin: ) will not both sit flat to what ever surface the model is resting on.

Later,

Dave

Thank you very much for all the participation on this thread, please keep opinions coming!

Daryl (MilneBay): I have an advantage over you, my airfix kit is from 1972 and the parts don't have signs of warping. Other than that, I wish I could do such a good job as you did.

datguy: unfortunately the RC groups site is offline, I'll try to access it later.

As I have the Airfix kit and not the Academy one I'll save my euros to a B-50 that I plan as a X-1 or X-2 launcher, unless I find a cheap Academy B-29. I must correct the nacelles but this is not a matter of an old kit, as the recent Revell Lancaster has the inverse problem in its outer nacelles.

I assume that the Academy kit is correct on this subject, but I still must look for pics took from the front of models - just in case I get the Academy kit. Here's another photo showing clearly the nacelles angles with the help of carefully aligned propellers:

800px-19th_BG_Crew_B-29_BUB.jpg

A point of terminology: As on the photo, the nacelles being perpendicular to the wing means they are canted inboard - nearer the fuselage at the top and further away at the bottom. The question not answered in this thread is whether the Academy kit is more accurate in this respect.

"Perpendicular to the wing" is really a meaningless term. The wing is a mass of different angles and curves. You need to clarify exactly what part of the wing (real or theoretical) you're referencing. The thrust line of the engines on the B-29 in plan view (as seen from the top or bottom) is exactly parallel to the longitudinal axis of the airplane. They do not angle in or out with reference to the direction of flight. They do angle up slightly as noted above.

"Perpendicular to the wing datum line" was Nick's original phrase, and I see nothing wrong with that. I think you however are referring to the need to adequately reference the thrust line to the wing section, which is quite true but a digression introduced in earlier posts. The initial question had nothing to do with the thrust line, but with the mounting of the cowling. The initial head-on photo shows that the vertical axis of the cowling is canted compared to the vertical axis of the fuselage, and apparently perpendicular to the wing datum (as well as can be judged from a photo). The later photo (post 13) shows the same. Orientation in other views are interesting in themselves but not relevant to the initial query. I repeat - does the Academy kit show this? (Or for that matter the 1/144 Minicraft and Fujimi kits?)

Edited by Graham Boak

"Perpendicular to the wing datum line" was Nick's original phrase, and I see nothing wrong with that.

That's not what the original post above says, sorry. In any event, "wing datum line" is still ambiguous. There is no such thing when describing aircraft - if you find a definition of that phrase, please let me know. I've been flying for 34 years and I've never heard of it.

The engine (and thus the cowling) of the B-29 when viewed from above is perfectly parallel to the longitudinal axis of the airplane. The thrust line of the engine (and thus the cowlings) is angled nose-up slightly when referenced to the longitudinal axis of the airplane. It is not at the same angle as the angle of incidence of the wing (which changes from root to tip in any event).

Perhaps you should stop trying to score debating points, for in the process you are still missing the actual point that was in question. Go to the very first posting. "..the engine nacelles do not seem to be vertical ... but perpendicular to the wing middle line." Nothing to do with the longitudinal axis of the aircraft, the thrust line, or the angle of incidence at any point. Whether the term used is wing middle line, wing datum line or wing line is fairly irrelevant unless quoting a precise number, which no-one has.

34 years, eh? Well done that man. I had 40 in the industry when I retired, not counting three studying before employment. I am still finding reference to terms that I didn't meet in those years.

Edited by Graham Boak

"datum line (plural datum lines)

(engineering) A line which serves as a reference or base for the measurement of other quantities."

I meant wing datum line in this case to be an imaginary line drawn span-wise through the centre of the wing from root to tip against which the nacelle forms a geometric relationship when viewed directly from the front. I didn't mean to imply that it was a formal aerodynamic term. I assumed the original question provided some context about what was meant.

Graham is quite correct that the nacelles should have been described as canted inboard rather than outboard.

Thanks for the definitions and clarification, Nick and Graham, even though I don't think they were necessary because in the context of the first post the question was quite clear.

I think I've answered the OP's question, chaps, so can we stop now before this degenerates into yet another Britmodeller slanging match over b*gger all?

Edited by Ivor Ramsden

I decided that I'm going to do the plane with s/n 45-21800, the launcher of the first two X-1, and also of the X-1A/B/D&E. I will probably make it in its first livery, with the black under-surfaces contrasting with the upper natural metal finish.

However, I only have a few not very clear pictures showing the modified bomb bay with the X-1 in, so I'm looking for more photos with the void bay and diagrams if they exist. It seems to me that it's just a matter of cutting the portion of plastic between both bays and making a cut-out for the nose, very different from the B-50 launcher bay, with a large cut-out at the back.

TIA!

800x621xBell-X-1-with-Boeing-B-29-Superf

bell_x1_07.jpg