Vallejo varnish help

roginoz

Just finished the Hasegawa P40 Warhawk in 1/48 in Tamiya XF72 Olive Drab topside.

In prep for decalling, it was sprayed with two coats of Vallejo gloss [i know, advice suggests using the same varnish as the paint coat, but Vallejo was on hand].

Decalled…….sweet, brought the model to life.

Follow up coat of Vallejo matt…….agghhhh…….an opaque milky finish was the result. I tried to remove the varnish before it dried using a water-soaked cotton bud but the horrible result persists, reduced but still smeary

Can anyone suggest -

[a] what may have caused it, and

how I might clean it up without compromising the decals.

Should point out I have used the Vallejo gloss/matt combination in the past without the above mentioned results.

Any help would me much appreciated, thanks in anticipation.

Rog

Sorry to hear this, it's always very infuriating when this happens!

Step 1 put it down and walk away for at least 24 hours!!

Step 2 once calm try a coat of gloss again over the top, this may reduce or remove the milkyness.

If that doesn't work I think you might be forced to strip the paint and start again!

As for the cause I would guess humidity, I gave up on water based varnishes a long time back due to this. I now use the Alclad Laquer based ones.

Good luck!

Phil

Edited by SaintsPhil

Did you use Micro Sol to set your decals? I had this problem on a kit using Model Master acrylics. Giving the kit a good wash once the decals have set and before matting remedies it.

Just a thought

Bob

Thanks for your advice, Phil & Bob.

Phil, took your tip - walk away for 24 hours - I seem to have managed a fairly acceptable finish [thusfar] by sanding back gently with 8000grit w & d, washing it down and reapplying gloss.

It can sit for another 24 hours, then I'll try again with matt.

Bob, I used Tamiya Markfit to set the decals - I've always found it to be reliable and doesn't weaken the decals to the same degree as I've found Microsol/set to do.

Humidity wasn't an issue - a warm 28 here in Central Vic……gonna be a hot summer !

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Rog

Another thing you could try is to thin your acrylic varnish with a little distilled water and a drop or two of flow improver (I think Vallejo can be thinned with water right?). I've started doing this now because I've had trouble with 'milky' matt varnishes too, and it has worked so far.

Olive oil!!

I had this same issue (it's called fogging) with matt varnish on a 1/48 UH-1D that I did using Humbrol spray cans for both base colour and matt varnish. I even had the same issue when airbrushing Vallejo matt varnish recently on a 1/72 Revell HH-3 Jolly Green Giant.

And yes it is humidity that causes the issue (or so I've read elsewhere, and can corroborate when I think of the weather we've had when I've encountered the issue).

Rubbing with olive oil cures it. Don't ask me how or why, just don't overdo it (for obvious greasy reasons), you only need a little. I read this on a figure painting web page (but I don't have the link to hand), and I was sceptical but I tried it and it does work.

Edited by Raven Morpheus
  • Like 1