P-38 Lightning in 1/72...

Andre B

Like jerry said.

The Academy kit is not without accuracy issues, but builds a treat. The multi-release RS item is a good example of limited-run tooling, and as such needs a bit more effort, but ultimately it depends on the version you want to model.

Personally, I'd rule out Dragon and Hasegawa -neither is worth the struggle if you can find what you want elsewhere.

• Like 1

Airfix issued a P-38 in the late 50's. Very, very basic, and not seen for a long time. Like its contemporaries (MiG 15, P-51D, Swordfish, Skyhawk) should be replaced.

Who knows what 2015 will bring.....

The Airfix P-38 F/H was VASTLY better than the older P-38J, and is very good in outline and basic shape, whereas the P-38J was really only a caricature of a P-38). I accept it is not up to modern standards in terms of detail but is not without its uses if you sand off the rivets. It beats the Hasegawa for some accuracy issues.

Someone on here (at least I think it was on here) did a very nice stand model with it a few years ago.

The Airfix P-38J was actually replaced some years later by a P-38F. By modern standards not a lot better, I gather. Ditto the P-51D which was replaced in the 1970s.

Airfix P-51D has been replaced a lot more recently than that...!!

The Airfix P-38J was actually replaced some years later by a P-38F. .... Ditto the P-51D which was replaced in the 1970s.

While it may have been Airfix's intention to replace the earlier moulds, in fact the P-38J and original P-51D continued (or were reinstated a year later) even though the newer moulds were introduced. The same goes for the Hurri IV vs. I/IIb/IV and Mossie Vi vs. II/VI/XVIII moulds.

While it's probably also rather outdated, Revell released a J/M around 1973 and an F/F-4 ca. 1978. Matchbox's J probably is no contender, though.

Airfix P-51D has been replaced a lot more recently than that...!!

Yes, but that was the replacement of the replacement :coolio:

Edited by tempestfan

I never saw the original P-38J nor P-51D after the arrival of their replacements - indeed I hadn't seen the first P-51D for some time before that. Any concurrency or reinstatement must have been very limited in time and quantity. Similarly with the Hurricane IV, but the Mosquito VI continued because of its presence in the Dogfight Double.

Either way, not a contender for the best P-38 model.

Agreed ...

Regrettably not very picture-heavy, but there were three boxings of the J after he F had been introduced, and five for the Mossie (discounting slight packaging variations for 1981 interim kits and full French production pre-photobox kits). When the last three (or even four) versions were issued, the DFD's had been dropped, so while they may have contributed to keeping the kit in production initially, it doesn't explain (continuous) production beyond 1979. I guess the reason was simple - it made Airfix money at next to no cost.

Edited by tempestfan
  • Like 2

As others have said it depends on which P-38 you want.

If you're not bothered and just want a P-38, then I second the Academy vote. Builds up nicely, well detailed and will look like a Lightning to 99.9% of people. There is also plenty of aftermarket stuff like Etch, Mask and resin if you want to enhance it or correct some of the errors.

thanks

Mike

The Airfix P38F makes a nice model if you can get the nose together neatly, I made two of these recently and like them quite a lot. The old Monogram Revell P38M kit also makes a nice model but has a few badly fitting parts, the good thing about it is that it has removable engine and gun compartment panels, both the Airfix and Revell kits are I believe out of production but can be picked up cheaply (for under a tenner). Unless you are biased toward Airfix the Revell kit is probably the better of the two.

From memory the original Airfix P38J and Mosquito MkVI kits were both kept in production but were cheaper than their replacements during the late seventies and early eighties period. I think the older kits were series two and the new kits series three.

Yup, Academy is nice, but i'm not sure it is in production program now... And don't forget - decals in both edition (pacific theater, europe theater) are horrible- i recommend bought Kagero Pacific Lightnings - a half dozen of P-38 - with very sexy pin up nose arts...

Dragon is overpriced and not good - it is around 20 years old and difficult to build.... I build many years back DML P-61 from the same period and was twisted to banana... P-38 may be the same case. Look for Academy.

As others have said it depends on which P-38 you want.

If you're not bothered and just want a P-38, then I second the Academy vote. Builds up nicely, well detailed and will look like a Lightning to 99.9% of people. There is also plenty of aftermarket stuff like Etch, Mask and resin if you want to enhance it or correct some of the errors.

thanks

Mike

Mike, all,

Can anyone explain succinctly what the key issues are with the Academy? I'm not knowledgeable about the P-38.

regards,

Martin

• Like 1

Thanks, Mike.

I knew of the QB bits and bobs, but didn't know what the errors were that they were trying to correct.

The one visual thing I think I can see is the drop tanks are far too bulbous. Is this my eyes or . . . .?

regards,

While it's probably also rather outdated, Revell released a J/M around 1973 and an F/F-4 ca. 1978.

Definitely stay away from these if you see them. I can't speak for their accuracy, but they don't build easily at all.

The engine nacelles are particularly nasty as Revell included rudimentary engines to put in them. The nacelles are broken down into three or four separate panels and getting them all to sit properly together for a smooth outline if you want a closed nacelle is a nightmare.

You can see a bit in this picture of the box how poorly the nacelle parts sit:

Revell%204521%20P-38.JPG

net photo

• Like 2