Revell: 1/144 Super Constellation - Qantas decals

marty_hopkirk

I fancy building the highly rated 1/144 Revell Super Connie in the classic Qantas livery. I have been to the usual haunts such as Two Six, but couldn't see any AM decals.

Does any one have any ideas and point me in the right direction?

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

That reminds me...when I finally get around to mine I'd like a BOAC set, but that's rare so I guess unlikely.

I did get an Aer Lingus set from somewhere a while back...can't check as they are in Valmiera and I'm in Helsinki, but I think whoever it was did other liveries.

Both Two Six and Classic Airlines do "Aer Lingus" Super Connie decals.

Strictly speaking they aren't really "Aer Lingus" as the Irish government had set up a separate airline in 1948 called "Aerlínte Éireann - Irish International Airlines" to operate trans-Atlantic services. They initially bought standard Constellations but these were disposed of to BOAC before the operations began.

In 1958, they tried again, this time with a small fleet of leased Super Constellations which retained their US registrations. These are the aircraft depicted in the decal sets.

If you look at either set of decals you won't see the words "Aer Lingus" anywhere.

Aer Lingus and Irish International only started to work closer together from about 1964 onwards and the new livery adopted at that time reflected this. You will see these later colours feature the titles "Aer Lingus - Irish International Airlines".

It was only in 1974 that the two airlines were completely integrated - which also coincided with another colour scheme change..

I've just bough the F-RSiN standard Connie and I would like to depict in the original "Aerlínte Éireann" colours carried in 1948. I don't see any after market decals sets yet though.

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 1

Classic Airlines do decals for a Qantas Super Constellation I picked a set up at SMW last year (decal ref nos is CA144-018).If you can,pick them up at SMW his mail order service can be a bit erratic.

Malcolm

Edited by Mal

That reminds me...when I finally get around to mine I'd like a BOAC set, but that's rare so I guess unlikely.

S&M decals do a sheet for N6504C, one of the Super Connies which BOAC leased from Seaboard and Western. The Aviation Megastore has one sheet left in stock:

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/lockheed-l1049-super-constellation-boac-ssm44-017-sm-models-ssm44-017-airliner-decals/product/?shopid=LM53db8083b31356446c831e1232&action=prodinfo&parent_id=0&art=100383

If you miss it your only other option is probably AJ Aviation.

I've been looking for a TWA set for my vintage Monogram "Connie" kit. Any advice on where to look?? Its around 1 /132 I've been told for the scale.

• 2 weeks later...