1/35 Pz.Kpfw. VI Ausf E, Tiger I (late)

Great stuff - I'm interested in Tigers since building my 1/72 version. I shall follow this with interest. Those tracks do look rather good - not sure I'd have the patience though.

Good job Peter. I have found doing all the drilling in one hit. Then the flash clean up. Then construction. It seems a lot quicker to me not having to switch tools all the time and I can get into a better rhythm. 5 cents worth. Looking forward to seeing this come together.

• Like 1

Did you make up both packets completely?

They'll be way too long if you did, see my mid prod version thread.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234962694-tamiya-tiger-tank-mid-production/?p=1675120

Did you make up both packets completely?

They'll be way too long if you did, see my mid prod version thread.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234962694-tamiya-tiger-tank-mid-production/?p=1675120

Made up 96 links per side - same as the DS tracks, so should be pretty close - if not it's easy to remove links if required.

Right - today's work.

First started with the chemical processing of the tracks - used Gun Blue - nasty stuff but works well, after degreasing the tracks.

P1000420_zps2e973d79.jpg

Then adding all the torsion bars for the suspension, glued the ends with CA to lock the interior ends solidly.

P1000421_zps2a3fee7f.jpg

Then made and tidied up all of the road wheels, idlers and drive sprockets

P1000422_zpsa3ee3139.jpg

Then dry fitted the wheels, and sprockets and tested the tracks. Looks like the 96 links wasn't a bad guess, as the return idler is at the maximum tension set.

P1000423_zps52fcee26.jpg

Peter

• Like 1

Looks good so far, what are you going to use for the zimmerit? I used the Tamiya's self adisive sheet, there was a little bit of size difference in some areas but nothing a sharp craft knife couldn't sort out. And it's transparent, which is good to see the holes that are required.

Today's work brought to you by Apoxie putty, a sheet of acrylic and acrylic rod, and Trumpeter Zimmerit tools.

Mix the putty, then roll with lots of talc to stop it sticking, then use some Tamiya extra thin on the plastic, and place the putty sheet. Press down, trim the edges then apply the pattern with the tools.

Not too tricky, but just takes ages.......

P1000435_zps486c90a2.jpg

P1000437_zpsfae43c81.jpg

P1000438_zps32093230.jpg

P1000439_zps7a8071ca.jpg

P1000440_zps2d192f73.jpg

Just need to wait for the putty to cure overnight now.

Peter

• Like 1

The exhaust shrouds probably would not have zim applied to them, they were only relatively thin sheet metal.

• Like 1

Wow,

Zimmermitastik, nice job, your braver than I sir. Like Andy said, I can recall seeing any zimmermit on exhaust shrouds. But looks good non the less.

Cheers ozzy

Today's work - first added the other cable, along with the truly horrible PE hangers.

P1000442_zpsdd42f4be.jpg

Then sprayed everything with Alclad Grey Primer

P1000443_zpsc5b3af11.jpg

Including all of the wheels

P1000444_zpsd3b2be3c.jpg

Then sprayed everything with a basecoat of Ammo Dunkengelb Ausf 44.

P1000445_zps10551616.jpg

P1000446_zps3802ac49.jpg

P1000447_zpscaef4c41.jpg

Not had a problem with the Ammo paint, just add a couple of drops of thinner, and spray in light coats.

Peter

• Like 3

Peter that is stunning!! I don't know how you have the patience to do that zimmeriit! I have had an idea for a Tiger kit I'd like to build but I've made sure there's a PE zimmeriit set available.

I'm very impressed with yours. Well done.

Peter thanks,

I've been looking at the life colour or vallejo RAL paints but may give mig a go. I've been watching your build as I'm also building a dragon tiger late kit but the 6263 one, I've just got a bit left before I will paint mine, I wasn't as brave to do my own zimmermit. I've got AFV club tracks and going to try AK interactive set 00087 to make them look slightly rusty, watching your build with interest.

Ozzy

Edited by Ozzy