1/144 - Short Belfast C.Mk.1 resin kit by Anigrand - released

Homebee

If its not too prohibitive in price I'd be tempted. Would have to build it as XR367 'Heracles'. Its the one I flew in from Brize in 1970 on a 3 hour circuit bashing sortie whilst on an ATC camp at Bicester.

• Like 1

I remember the line of Belfasts at RAF Kemble awaiting disposal

Hope this comes out- This was taken at Cairns last year - ex XR365 "Hector" ex G HLFT. Must be nearly 50 years old as I think prototype flew in '64

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127181875@N06/15433243927/

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If its not too prohibitive in price I'd be tempted. Would have to build it as XR367 'Heracles'. Its the one I flew in from Brize in 1970 on a 3 hour circuit bashing sortie whilst on an ATC camp at Bicester.

The Belfast was Huge,never seen a bigger cockpit,probably get 10 people stood up filling the gap behind the pilots. BOAC hired one of our RAF Belfs to transport a complete 747 simulator in one lump.Canada-Heathrow. The Galaxy could only take it broken down which was supprising considering the Galaxy was supposed to be "it".

A Belfast fully rolled with a double Wessex fit with Stub deck and side guidance and winch or fully fitted out with Short's seats including up the ramp using "cheese peices" that kept the seat at the correct angle when the ramp was shut was impressive.

The big wind up with them was pre flight engine runs and subsequent "falling down" ie failed and not flying!

I've only got bad memories of 367 and 370,one Saturday these two were failing the same flight No and we had full ball and roller,side guidance, Stub deck and each time one of these two fell down we had to change the complete fit to the other frame for exactly the same problem a few hours later. That went on all day shift and well into the night shift,four or five times the nominated airframe changed.

Flying display was something else to watch,wouldn't believe your eyes.

Edited by bzn20

The stub deck sounds scary if it had this falling down tendency, On the flight I went on a bank of airline style seat were fitted on the cargo deck. They looked silly with all the remaining space. Anyway its where I sat. A bunch of cadets were up on the stub deck. I didn't get one of those seats but we did have fun having a kick about 'downstairs' on the cargo hold with a big ball of paper during the flight. And it was hilarious when unexpected turns were done and we all fell over to the side of the turn. All highly unsafe and unstrapped of course. The flight stopped for a break and the NAAFI van drove up where we suitably refreshed ourselves and were told to get back on board again for another hour of circuit bashing. The only time EVER I felt a bit airsick! I think that may have been something to do with the aft facing seating.

I'll try and find my photos and post here. Theres only a couple I have . One through the window at one of the Tynes and another on the ground of the nose of 'Heracles'.

Getting back to the kit, I think I'll have to treat myself to one as I have a birthday coming.

• Like 1

Thats interesting. I'm positive it was Brize as all the other transports were there like the 10's and Brits on the pans. It may have not been NAAFi but it was a refreshments van that pulled when we stumbled down the rear ramp before we continued circuit bashing.

We all had our own Tea bars, NAAFI vans weren't needed.They got their own back though,any Tea bar had to buy a bulk of the "goods",Cokes,Mars bars,Cheese,Ham etc. as NAAFI had some agreement that they were the sellers of food stuffs on camp. The only good thing about NAAFI was the T bags,best anywhere. I even found some in a Spanish supermarket when I lived there.

They might have called up Inflight Catering Flt for your Wad and char!

Even Local flyers (circuits n bumps) got a sarnie box with Apple,cheese,biscuit,crisps sarnie tea,coffee and in the winter, soup.

We robbed a local of all the catering once after landing not realising the Belf had been tasked for more locals and had been re rationed! No one could understand why they only had tea and coffee!

A mate was on a global on a Belfast visiting every base that a Brize kite had been to in the last few years picking up all the Brize owned kit that been lost/left behind.

The captain asked for a pasty,drink and Mars bar. he gave him the pasty,Captain went ballistic,when I ask for a Pasty I want it hot not warm but HOT!

After 20 minutes he went back with a smouldering heap of Pasty and gave it to the Captain. Here is your HOT Pasty sir,its been in the oven for 30 minutes along with your F********** Mars bar! He handed over a paper plate with a brown pool of Chocolate fudgy mess! As they were over the Pacific and half a world from Brize it all got forgotten by the time they got back!

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1