A host of spirits

Will Vale

Hi folks,

I'm never quite sure where to post my non-Sci-Fi figure stuff. I put the work-in-progress in the Figures subforum, but then there are separate Figure and Ready for Inspection subforums here as well. Not that it really matters!

Here are some recently-released Games Workshop ghosts. I painted them because I liked all the movement, and I wanted to try some ideas for painting glowing ethereal stuff which I could try on some of their larger undead models. These "Spirit Hosts" are on 40mm bases and each base is supposed to represent a swarm of ghostly foes.

15537704521_2102b5a27c_b.jpg

The basic colours are an airbrushed mix of Tamiya Acrylics, going for a sort of glow-in-the-dark look. I started with a mid green and worked up to pure yellow on the insides of the ghosts, and where they emerge from the skeletons.

My initial plan was to paint them inside-out, and put shadows on all the raised parts, but when I tried it I didn't like the look. I repainted the test model and went with edge highlights over the airbrushed base, and then glazes over everything to tie it together. The highlights are a bit sloppy (done in front of the telly) but the glazes help smooth them out.

I also varied the glazes from yellow in the bright spots, through green in the middles, to blue on the thin bits like hands and faces.

All the gravestones were painted with Citadel paints under a magnifier. I sealed everything with Alclad Klear Flat (so great!) and then treated the blades with various metallics, a teal-black wash, and a rub with AK Dark Steel graphite.

15354765810_0785846446_b.jpg

14919650534_e6e37a055a_b.jpg

15354383327_8c45961423_b.jpg

I think they've come up quite well, and they made a nice break from other things I've been working on. Better get on and finish that tank now!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 4

Thanks folks, I really want to paint the new Nagash!

Also have you seen the leaked Nurgle things which are coming soon? There's a sort of huge worm-faced giant thing with lots of teeth, it looks cool :)

Will

Wow, I am always in awe of your paint jobs and this is no different. What a cool subject too!!! If my figure painting skills were better I'd look at buying some of this GW stuff- there are some really interesting figures in amongst it all.

Keep on posting these Will, they are a nice refreshing break from the usual subjects

Thanks, you should pick something and go for it! Your eyesight must be up to the task with all those tiny bits of plastic :)

The one thing I'd recommend if you do is a decent Kolinsky Sable brush - makes it all much more fun.

Will