Zvezda 1/35 BTR-80A APC - weathered

Since recently returning to the hobby after a very long break I thought I'd have a go at weathering, something I've never seriously attempted before. I tried the hairspray method for scratching rust patches with a modicum of success although I'm not convinced that Humbrol's rust acrylic is quite right. Looks a bit too pink to me but I am working in artificial light.

Next I tried Humbrol's rust wash intending to obtain a streaked effect. This didn't work very well as I found it was absorbed by the matt olive drab top coat resulting in a blotchy look. The rust colour was OK though and more realistic than the paint.

For the mud I used light brown acrylic on the tyres and then mixed it with baking powder for a clumpy effect on the lower hull and suspension.

BTR-80_1_zps48f1a312.jpg

BTR-80_6_zps0da6a9a1.jpg

BTR-80_3_zps63cc0a12.jpg

BTR-80_4_zps43d5a9da.jpg

BTR-80_5_zpsa81d5892.jpg

BTR-80_7_zpsb8a6a33b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2

Looks good to me. I like to use very fine saw dust mixed with enamel paint for lumpy mud works well for tracked vehicles. but is very heavy on paint and be prepared to bin the mixing brush after. I also find Tamiya weathering master is very ease and quick

Jim

Looks good to me. I like to use very fine saw dust mixed with enamel paint for lumpy mud works well for tracked vehicles. but is very heavy on paint and be prepared to bin the mixing brush after. I also find Tamiya weathering master is very ease and quick

Jim

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give the Tamiya weathering master a try next time.

Cheers,

Steve

that really is very nice' good job, to get around the wash being absorbed by the Matt coat' dampen the model down with some clean white spirits or turps, then apply the wash while the spirits are still damp.

regards oz!.

that really is very nice' good job, to get around the wash being absorbed by the Matt coat' dampen the model down with some clean white spirits or turps, then apply the wash while the spirits are still damp.

regards oz!.

:thanks: for the input, yeah I think I've got the hang of it now. All I need is something else to practice on and rather fancy that MAZ 537 from Trumpeter. Looks like a suitable subject without being too challenging :)

Cheers,

Steve

Hey Steve, I just found your project here. I like the chipping, I still need to try this on my build. This build of yours seemed to go fairly quickly. Good job! What's next? Keep modeling!

Hi Rich, the build went quicker than expected! Now I'm on with a tiny Airfix 1/76 scale Land Rover to tide me over until I decide what to do next as a major project. I really fancy the new SCUD B from Trumpeter but it's not available yet, so in the meantime I might do something else, a 1/35 Land Rover Milan ATGM from Hobbyboss maybe :)

Cheers :drink: