Dragon 1:72 Mercury-Redstone MR-4/Liberty Bell 7

My review of this kit is here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234964876-redstone-rocket-with-mercury-spacecraft/

For reasons I explained there, I had to build this as Gus Grissom's Liberty Bell 7 and not Al Shepard's earlier Freedom 7.

The build was fairly straightforward; the most difficult part was the escape tower, which is a little on the fiddly side, I started with the vertical struts, tied them together at the top with the rocket motor, then added the cross-bracing afterwards. When I had finished I discovered that the rocket motor has an unfortunate lean but it doesn't show up in the photographs...so far as I can tell.

PIC_0634.jpg

Overall view of the vehicle. I didn't like how the steering vanes on the inner side of the fins, in the rocket exhaust stream, balanced on the projection on top of the stand so I added one of the two smaller stands included in the box so the rocket would sit flat.

PIC_0636.jpg

Closer view of the upper part of the rocket and capsule. The chequered stripes are supplied as a decal (though not the black band around the bottom.)

PIC_0637.jpg

Close-up of the capsule. Dragon do supply a decal for the Liberty Bell 7 name, but not the painted crack; however this was relatively easy to create with some spare white decal.

And finally, just to show how far US space technology advanced in eight years, here is the Mercury/Redstone compared with the Apollo 11 CSM and LM to the same scale:

PIC_0640.jpg

Grissom's flight took place on 21 July 1961. Eight years later, minus one day, Eagle landed on the Moon.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...