1/8 scale Short nose D Type Jaguar

.....Sounds like a tempting proposition, but at this scale I'd need a house extension just for the transporter !!!

A little more done though.

Main radiator built and ready to fit.

There's still an oil rad to go next to it and the water header tank.

Then the pipework......

All part of the fun.

Roy.

P1010050_zps188632ff.jpg

P1010051_zps1c757a54.jpg

That radiator should be a construction article all by itself. We ALL need rads (types of vehicles and scales) and they all should look as good as that one. It only needs hose fittings and draincock.

For uneducated Yanks - what is that boss protruding on the head, just below and between the cam covers Roy?

For a water pump? Drive pulley?

?

Boy this will be a feast for the eyes when done. Layers on layers of detail....

The boss on the head between the cam covers is a vent for bleeding the water system.

There's a small (yet to be added) drain pipe to go on the right side, looking from the front.....

I've now made up the oil radiator and fitted it, and added the oil feed and return pipes. Hose clips still to add.

The rads are actually just made up from 1.5mm plasticard and cast resin tops. All BMF'd.

The mesh is from a frying spatter guard and is pretty close to the actual rad material.

Strangely, the photo's seem to have an odd 'moire' effect on the mesh making it appear crooked.

It's actually dead straight on the model.

Front wheels are only on for testing - making sure the bonnet (hood) sits right. All ok.

Roy.

P1010052_zpsb97ab91b.jpg

P1010055_zpsc9b055cd.jpg

P1010053_zps2592b791.jpg

P1010054_zps63e80365.jpg

P1010056_zpsb2448a8c.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

It's a given that your bits are always straight and plumb. Beautiful coolers.

Next dilemma (for me at least) ; how will you attach side mount Webers and exhaust pipes with engine already in place? Lay the entire chassis 90 deg. and epoxy? Or drill and pin?

Yes - the manifolds will be drill/pin/glue.....

I did the Big C in the same way. It's a little bit fiddly to get at, but with the engine in place I can make the various manifold pipes (I'm talking exhaust particularly) fit properly between the block and frame.

If I tried it with the engine out, knowing my luck the manifolds wouldn't fit in the chassis.......

Roy.

• Like 1

I'll be honest I haven't looked at this in a while (i like to give myself a few comments to browse through) and all i can say is just how amazing you craftsmanship is, i have taken to adding more details to my build recently but you take it to a whole new level, it's just stunning the eye you have for the details

Shaun

Quick thing aswell have you looked at your first picture of this and compared it to where you are now, honestly I would run out of applause

Edited by shood23

Many thanks Shaun...

Exhaust manifolds and downpipes.

These were done in the same way I did them on the Big C.

An old microphone cable.

Thick plasticard was used as the flange plate, the inner core of the mic cable was pulled out and replaced with thick copper wire.

The pieces of cable were glued together with cyano and the weld lines added with a hobby stained glass window lining pen.

Once assembled, the manifolds could be bent to fit, having a thick wire core.

Then they were sprayed matt black, fixing pins fitted to the flanges, the block drilled and the parts fitted.

All I need to do now is paint the downpipes matt black and add nuts to the flanges....

Roy.

P1010058_zpsa8f89fc0.jpg

P1010060_zpsad7cacd6.jpg

P1010059_zps8d8bc9c9.jpg

P1010061_zpsb9f348cb.jpg

P1010064_zps06b3ba6e.jpg

P1010063_zps38ebc714.jpg

P1010062_zps7f7535eb.jpg

• Like 2

Once again, only a small update although there's a lot of work behind it....

Intake manifold sorted.

Some time ago I had a manifold and set of Weber carbs made for me (at a not inconsiderable expense) - so I can't take credit there - so that I could cast my own from the originals. All very legit. I used them on my Big C, and will use them again when I build the Aston DBR1.

There's a HUGE amount of cleaning up to do though, and fine filing, sanding and finishing.

Overall quite pleased with the result though.

Pic 3 shows the manifold test - fitted.

Carbs and water manifold next...

Roy.

P1010065_zpsd440f2d9.jpg

P1010066_zpsf16c93bf.jpg

P1010067_zps040c6945.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

More beautiful and complex castings.

If it helps you my friend, here are the only two sidedrafts I have in my Weber reference; they are 58's on a small Cobra and 48's on a SBC. Hope they help for detail and color:

orig58MM_zps4adf06dd.jpeg

webers_zps316602d6.jpeg

• Like 1

Many thanks there Mr C.

Those pics certainly will be useful.

I've now cast the carb bodies - small fittings etc to add.

They are painted with matt Aluminium Humbrol metalcote, with a bit of light buffing although it doesn't show well in the pic.

The pic shows them up against the manifold but they aren't yet fixed.

First two trumpets made from ally tube over a small mandrill.

Four more to go although I might cast them in resin as they are a real PIG to make and I know I'll want another six for the DBR1.

Roy.

P1010069_zpsd486df61.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2

They are beautiful Roy.

If I live long enough to ever accomplish one, the 1/8 427 Cobra I do will need those - 4 of 'em. Don't care about the differences between side and down draft - those are gems.

Many thanks Mr C and Nigel.

I'm moving slowly forward on the front end - ignition coil, mounting plate and bracket all made and fitted. Old Lucas decal added for a bit of 'colour'.

Coil wired in and temperature sender fitted to the radiator - old wound guitar string...

I'm currently sorting out the small fittings for the Webers.

Roy.

P1010076_zps7ac8a02f.jpg

P1010071_zps38e94c1e.jpg

P1010077_zpsed949b78.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

The tank cap is actually the end from a small screwdriver... !

It was just the right size and shape.

Always keeping my eyeballs peeled for anything I can use.

Webers have a few details added, and they are now on the manifold.

Roy.

P1010078_zpsd7c0bc04.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

I've been successfully resisting further expressions of wonderment at various stages of this build and was just going watch in awe until the end,

but it's now just too delicious to remain silent any longer ......... I hope Codger has not copyrighted 'WOW' !