RNZAF F4U-1D Corsair Jacquinot Bay 1945

Hi everyone

.....so there I was, with a Tamiya Corsair F4U-1A and a set of Ventura Decals, ready to do a RNZAF Corsair to go with my Gloria Lyons Kittyhawk I did a bit back and intending to do the tri-colour option with the nose art, when along came Peters and Ians brilliant builds.

dKevpnx.jpg

Ah well, might as well do the other one then, so here`s my very latest attempt at doing one of the RNZAF`s highly weathered Corsairs.

l88vExI.jpg

After doing a bit of research I found on Pete Mossongs site that `Tutea Wera` NZ5614 was a `D` which explains the overall dark blue scheme

YLuzLnK.jpg

even though it has still got the earlier canopy with the two frames at the top

xUhqdZs.jpg

Had to be daring with the weathering as the electric blue roundels stood out like a sore thumb but luckily nearly all the pic`s I could find ( and there wasn`t many )......

yDTZur9.jpg

show them in a very weather beaten condition.

2eGnzvb.jpg

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 27

Russ,your modelling skill never fail to impress me and the kiwi's corsair is simply impressive.For someone who is living in the cold north,somehow you have presented a realistic sun burnt,salt corroded corsair that had served in the humid tropical pacific.congrats brother!

• Like 1

Got to agree with all the above comments. A superbly built and beautifully painted and weathered aircraft. You have skills I can only aspire to. Excellent - well done!

• Like 1

Proper filth! Have just finished Revell's F4U-1A and it shares the same battered and dirty façade. Those Pacific land based aircraft must have took a battering from the workload and the elements as well as the prehistoric land crabs.

More dirty birds please!

• Like 1

Russ, the world needs more Corsairs like yours!!! A law should be enacted to that effect!!!

Woahhhh!!!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 1

looks like another winner Russ. Pete's sight is a goldmine for the RNZAF in the Pacific.

One point I'd have thought by that point in the war the wheel wells would have been the same colour as the mainframe?

Thanks very much S/Fox

I had considered that, but having asked on other forum myself and reading various posts on various forums decided what ever I did would be incorrect ( can of worms ), so I went half way and did the wells green zinc chromate and the insides of the doors exterior colour, as some aircraft received repainted wells after going through refurbishment and I doubt if these aircraft ever had a repaint.

Thanks to all for your kind words and positive comments