New Thunderbirds tv Cannes premier

Apparently the reception of the screening was positive.

Looking forward to seeing it now......

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/11/itv-remake-thunderbirds-are-go

And at last - a PROPER (if quite small) picture of the new TB2!!! :

https://www.c21media.net/thunderbirds-get-going-at-mipjunior/

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

Ahhh! Now I get it!! The "large new kit" that Airfix are allegedly to announce at Telford next month will be a Thunderbird 2!!! :yahoo: . (if only).

Less than happy about the short episodes though. Hardly enough time for credits and adverts - far less a decent story. I'm personally a bit disappointed at the short running time of the episodes. I'm well aware this series is targeted at children but, it is bound to attract a much wider audience. However, as youngsters nowadays tend to have the attention span of a gnat I guess the producers decision was probably right. I will however reserve judgement until I've seen it

(pauses to remove rose tinted glasses and dust off Gerry Anderson originals!!) :lol:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

Try the latest issue of SFX if you want bigger pictures of the revised Thunderbirds (1, 2, 3 and 4 at least; can't remember seeing 5). Overall, I am not impressed with the new versions. One is the best of a bad bunch, with at least one of the original's serious flaws fixed, and Four is very reminiscent of its original if it had put on weight, but Two and Three are just plain dire, IMO. They're blocky, ugly and look like the designers couldn't find their French curves when sketching them, so they had to use straight lines instead of the elegant curves of the original -- which is odd, because the new TB4 does the exact opposite!

Oh, well, let's see if the writing and acting can make up for the lousy vehicle design. I hope so.

I've made this point a few times here and been shot down for it.

"Stuck in the past" is the common phrase.

But it ISN'T a case of stuck in the past.

Peter Jackson cast Orlando Bloom as Legolas in LOTR.

When they started on The Hobbit movies, did the part go to Barry Humphries???

No. You stick with a winner.

TB2 was a WINNER. Very likely up there in the top 10 of greatest Sci-Fi vehicle designs ever.

The new TB1 is just a more sleek and slightly 'fixed' version of the original, and it actually doesn't look too bad at all.

Why didn't they just do that with TB2???

Instead, we have craft that will have at least one major fan - the Lego toy company.

I wonder if they are sponsors of the new show???

However - I still hope the new show 'works'. It would be nice to have more Thunderbirds to watch.

Not to be rude or offensive, but I'm fed up of this argument about "why change anything" regarding the Thunderbords designs.

1) Its 50 years since they were designed

2) This is a new team of creatives who wish to stamp THEIR OWN identity onto the franchise as ANY creative team would

3) Of course there will be new toays - this is a Kids TV programme, its the law!

4) if you read the SFX article you'll discover that licensing rules PREVENTED them from using the old designs, so new ones HAD to be created

5) The new deisgns at least nod the hat to the old ones and are much better than that dreadful movie.

Personally I LOVE TB4. I think TB2 is incredibly interesting and looks suitably MEATY for a heavy-lift vheicle. It won't suffer from the problem the original had with the nose brakign off at the joint with the engine intakes! TB5 looks like a REAL space station and IMO is superb, TB1 really looks like it could do Mach 15 (the alleged speed of TB1, which the original could NEVER achive with flat surfaces on the engine) and TB3 has some very interesting-looking features hidden within the "Lego" (sheesh I'm sick of that comparison!) design... not what looks like a hinge on the outrigger arm - it looks like the arms can possibly swing out with part of the engines attached...

• Like 1

Not to be rude or offensive, but I'm fed up of this argument about "why change anything" regarding the Thunderbords designs.

1) Its 50 years since they were designed

2) This is a new team of creatives who wish to stamp THEIR OWN identity onto the franchise as ANY creative team would

3) Of course there will be new toays - this is a Kids TV programme, its the law!

4) if you read the SFX article you'll discover that licensing rules PREVENTED them from using the old designs, so new ones HAD to be created

5) The new deisgns at least nod the hat to the old ones and are much better than that dreadful movie.

Personally I LOVE TB4. I think TB2 is incredibly interesting and looks suitably MEATY for a heavy-lift vheicle. It won't suffer from the problem the original had with the nose brakign off at the joint with the engine intakes! TB5 looks like a REAL space station and IMO is superb, TB1 really looks like it could do Mach 15 (the alleged speed of TB1, which the original could NEVER achive with flat surfaces on the engine) and TB3 has some very interesting-looking features hidden within the "Lego" (sheesh I'm sick of that comparison!) design... not what looks like a hinge on the outrigger arm - it looks like the arms can possibly swing out with part of the engines attached...

Absolutely right!

As I have mentioned before, it's not as though the originals have been wiped from the anuals of history - they are still around to be enjoyed, in fact they are coming to you on BD very soon. Sorry, I don't get the the flip side of the argument.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

I'm not against new designs at all - maybe I should just re-phrase my comments:

I think the new TB1 and TB4 are great.

TB5 looks like a space station now - no quibbles with that.

I just feel that TB2 in particular 'could have been better'.

It will be interesting to see what happens to FAB 1.

I have a sneaking feeling they might do a 'Tumbler Batmobile' job - in pink????......

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

looking at the photos in SFX , it appears that TB3 "may" now be a multistage rocket as its "arms" have hinges which suggest that they will swing out after the lower stage has seperated (the arms appear to have rockets on the end of them as well, tucked inside the square engines)

unfortunatly the big circular hinges on TB2 give the impression that its now wearing earrings in the SFX picture....im betting that the hinges are there so that the main intakes can tilt down ala a harrier to help TB2 do a vertical landing.... (which would be odd as they are originally intakes and not thrusters , but it could look cool on -screen..........)

cant say im warming to the designs yet....they all look a wee bit "transformer" -ish to me , and not in the good lou Reed sense :P