Aircraft from the "Secret War" in Laos (1/72)

Hi Peter and LeVi Tophatter,

thank you very much for your compliments. i appreciate them very much!

To LeVi Tophatter:

Thanks for your interest. I have always been very interested in the Vietnam war and the corresponding campaigns in Laos and Cambodia. Especially in all topics regarding the Ho Chi Minh Trail and the aerial campaign against it. Therefore aircraft of this era are the backbones of my collection. A lot of them I have already presented here and a lot are still waiting in their boxes as all three gunships, Counter Invaders, a lot more old O-2s and Skyraiders. interesting you mentioned the Bronco. The A-version I have already shown in my "Vietnam Combat Search and Rescue Team" topic, together with a Skyraider, another Cessna O-2 and a HH-3H Jolly Green, which also took part in a lot of Special Operations missions in Laos and even was used in sensor seeding missions in low threath areas over the Trail.

Have a look if you are interested. Also found another Bronco. Its a D-version that I built long ago from the old Airfix kit (the Academy one wasn´t on the market at that time).

It is in fact a little gunship with a minigun-turret under the belly. Found it interesting as there is a picture of such an aircraft in Squadron Signal´s book about the gunships.

Cheers,

Mario

Had a look at the 'combat search and rescue team' today, again it's really good stuff and very special to see all the machines together... I also like that you have shown us that 'old' model kits can still look good!!!

Very nice Bronco's Mario, I do have a bit of a soft spot for them. The lovely OV-10D you show us is the YOV-10D NOS prototype, it was developed from the OV-10A NOGS the US Navy/USMC used in South Vietnam and Cambodia. Both of these OV-10's were also developed from the YOV-10A NOGS prototype which used the 6 barrel Vulcan gun but it was mounted at the back of the open cargo bay, firing to the side or front of the Bronco... Fearsome and very accurate!!!

Now you have inspired me to build some again!!!

All the best.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for all the friendly comments!

To LeVi Tophatter:

Thank you for your interest in my posts. Great that you found inspiration in my builds!

All the best to you also

Mario

• 1 year later...

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

Just after revisiting other post with your nice masterworks have came here to admire something about the Secret War.

After have read DA NANG DIARY by Tom Yarborough, for sure the theme is hot and maybe will have something finished after all. I was thinking if the O 2 was the one flown by woodstock and the OV 10 is the flown by Yarbouroiug as Covey 221... :)

Just keep on and have a go!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 1

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

Just after revisiting other post with your nice masterworks have came here to admire something about the Secret War.

After have read DA NANG DIARY by Tom Yarborough, for sure the theme is hot and maybe will have something finished after all. I was thinking if the O 2 was the one flown by woodstock and the OV 10 is the flown by Yarbouroiug as Covey 221... :)

Just keep on and have a go!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Hi Nephew Luis Alfonso!

Nice to be guilty 24 hours a day! Perhaps some Airfix representatives are reading this post and think about re-releasing their Oscar Deuce kit :)

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

Edited by Mario
  • Like 1

Hi Nephew Luis Alfonso!

Nice to be guilty 24 hours a day! Perhaps some Airfix representatives are reading this post and think about re-releasing their Oscar Deuce kit :)

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

I will look at the Hornby SIte as have been receiving something each month from them, maybe they have a pollor something to check and ask for a particular model, and will look if the miracle is made...this Oscar Deuce kit is sorely missed everywhere as many countries at one time or another have used it.

I will be digging a little more looking for the O-2 cammo in the used by SOG and check for many more to complete the info needed.

Soon will share with you something to look, it would be unveliebable for you...

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

I will look at the Hornby SIte as have been receiving something each month from them, maybe they have a pollor something to check and ask for a particular model, and will look if the miracle is made...this Oscar Deuce kit is sorely missed everywhere as many countries at one time or another have used it.

I will be digging a little more looking for the O-2 cammo in the used by SOG and check for many more to complete the info needed.

Soon will share with you something to look, it would be unveliebable for you...

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Hi Nephew Luis Alfonso!

If you persuade Hornby to re-release the kit, your stash will lose a lot of value :)!

Do you think the SOG used O-2s had a special camo? Think they flew in the same aircraft grey/white scheme as the Broncos. Only the Skymasters operating over the trail from Thailand were all black and the psy-ops O-2Bs had the SEA camo.

Looking forward to the things you´re going to share - don´t tell me it´s a finished model?!

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

• Like 1

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

Maybe the stash loose value BUT is many more important that those people stop all those guys making a huge lot of moeny just selling kits that were found cheaper as dead modelers's stashes and wanted to make money that way...

I have found somewhere pics from a cammouflaged O 2 but don't remember if it was a B or an A model...the black O 2 as yours looks nice but wanted to be sure what I am about to deal with when I make mine...just need a little light as the Yarborough book said nothing. Maybe looking for a 22 TASS site or some other relatedwill leave light to have a nice subject. Well, you will see, you will see, just have a little patience... :)

Edited by Luis Alfonso

Again very nice work....SEA did put quite a beating on the aircraft..the humidity was horrible on both us and the planes

• Like 2

Again very nice work....SEA did put quite a beating on the aircraft..the humidity was horrible on both us and the planes

Thank you for your encouraging comment. Appears as if you were talking from personal experiences?!

Have a nice Sunday

Mario

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your encouraging comment. Appears as if you were talking from personal experiences?!

Have a nice Sunday

Mario

Yes S Vietnam 1970/71 Thailand '72 and again in 75/76

Yes S Vietnam 1970/71 Thailand '72 and again in 75/76

Then your kind comments are appreciated even more! Thank you again!

BTW: Just finished reading "Da Nang Diary" by Tom Yarborough.