1/48 - Vought XF5U-1 "Flying Flapjack" by Kitty Hawk - released - resin wheels set by Vector

Homebee

Another - subliminal or anodyne ? - message today in the Kitty Hawk Facebook.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/736521713066784/photos/a.736556396396649.1073741827.736521713066784/808051749247113/?type=1&theater

The following message with a Vought XF5U-1 "Flying Flapjack" picture.

what a strange idea for a flying machine

To be followed

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

"Flying Pancake" kits in
1/72 - by Hasegawa and Sword
1/48 - by Planet Models (resin) and Special Hobby
1/32 - by Planet Models (resin) http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234938585-132-vought-xf5u-1-flying-pancake-resin-kit-by-planet-models-released/?hl=pancake

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 2 months later...

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who are drawn to unusual subjects - there are only so many Spitfires you can build... :winkgrin:

No argument on the 'only so many Spitfires' sentiment, but there are so many other things that Kittyhawk could do than this.....

Well,

I may very well be one of the two people that will buy and build this kit... After years of constantly failing to get hold of the super expensive Hasegawa re-box of someone else's kit, this comes along out of the blue. YES!!!

Manufacturer's have to pull something out of their esoteric side once in a while and Armageddon's not due for a long time yet, so you never know, that kit they 'should have done' may be around in a year or two!!!

Happy New Year everyone.

• 6 months later...

I'm sure both of the people who buy it will be delighted with it.....

What a waste of time, money and plastic!

To you perhaps. But then, you could use that rather churlish comment to refer to just about ANY kit of any subject because there are always people who will be unhappy with anything if it suits them to be so.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 8

Just curious as of the process companies decide which model they will release next.

Good, so I shouldn't abandon hope of seeing a Firebrand TF-5 or a P2V Neptune in 1/48!

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, i don't get it.

They let their F-11 Tiger Project die to do this? How many of this have been on active duty? And mentioned before there are already kits in 48 scale.

Sometimes i need someone who can explain this argumentation.

Thomas

I never used to have much interest in this aircraft ..........until I saw a documentary on it. Then I realised it had quite nice lines so I'll be picking one of these up.

Hope it's more accurate than their Foxbat though.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, i don't get it.

They let their F-11 Tiger Project die to do this? How many of this have been on active duty? And mentioned before there are already kits in 48 scale.

Sometimes i need someone who can explain this argumentation.

Thomas

And exactly how many TSR 2s saw active service? Or, F-16XLs or, Saro SR 177s or, XB-35s or YB-49s or, XB-70s or Arado Ar. E555s or, Blohm und Voss Bv P194s? Why should an aeroplane have been in service in order to warrant a kit being made?. As for other kits of this subject? Well, (apart from the 1/72) both are in resin and thereby available only in limited quantities at a relatively high price. Every one of us will at some point have said "Why did they do this when they should have done that"? I am sorry this kit does not appeal to you. However, I love these "out of the box" (no pun intended) subjects. They have an appeal all of their own and are far more interesting (to me anyway) than yet another Spitfire or F-16.That perhaps is the only justification a manufacturer needs.? Horses for courses my friend! Personally, I would rather see a Spey Phantom than a Flying Pancake! But, what the hell. I cannot have one so I will have the other! :lol:

Allan

Allan

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more Allan and SeaVenom in my experience things like this are great for reinvigorating one's modelling. For that alone they are a valuable release. Go well with my F-16XL, F-20s and other What could Have Beens which will sit well with the more usual subjects I model (slowly).

Would go well with a Me263 or 48th E.555 I think but only in styrene, or a SR.177 or Bristol 188, Fairey Rotodyne.....

• Like 1