BLAZER WEATHERING.

oz!

basically finished my M60 blazer and am going to try using the humbrol weathering washes and see how it comes out, got a couple more jars to pick up over the weekend and will post some update pics soon, hope they work as good as people say they do.

regards oz!.

0_zpsab27f4d9.jpg8_zps63431f55.jpg6_zps1d883cf7.jpg5_zps39021eb9.jpg7_zps537b3571.jpg4_zps13ab9993.jpg3_zpsfb0ebf2b.jpg2_zpsf875e036.jpg1_zps4e04f163.jpg

• Like 7

cheers Tim' thats very nice of you to say so, i used them on an old T-34 and hope to replicate the light weathering that resulted, hopefully it'll turn out OK but sometimes its the weathering stage that normally goes wrong for me.......... fingerer's crossed.

5_zps361458cd.jpg3_zpsbea91983.jpg

regards oz!

• Like 5

i wouldn't say that Gary' i have been an admirer of your work for a good while now, i only hope the blazer weathering comes out something like the T-34 and it wasn't just luck.

regards oz!.

Come on Tony, you've had two days now, "dashen ein finger outen gotten" - (hurry up mate)! Breath is held in anticipation :thumbsup: See you soon - hope you make Glasgow.

• Like 1

thanks very much for the comments guys its really appreciated' hi Bri Glasgow shouldn't be a problem, i have everything sorted and am ready to go,

i used the washes straight from the jar Matt but they need to be mixed very well as the pigment settles in the bottom of the jar.

i put a dot of the dust wash onto the model then with a brush dampened with white spirits i started to pull it very lightly down the vertical surfaces of the tank' if you blend it too heavy you lose the streaking effect, it looks messy at the moment but this is just the first layer, I'll add others as i go along.

regards oz!.

12_zps0e586a64.jpg13_zps01f16a7b.jpg14_zpsc514e3d5.jpg15_zpsc950a17c.jpg16_zps9e552b88.jpg

Brilliant builds there mate and it even looks as though the washes are drying out quite nicely :tapedshut: and are they not supposed to make those areas messy under the running gear.

As well as the washes will you be using some pigments and pastels to add to this effect :goodjob:

See you soon Beefy

• Like 1

thanks for the kind words lads' yes beefy I'll be using pigments and some chalk pastels as well, i was hoping not too but think the model will need them.

hi Bri' all i used was a white card background and 3 daylight bulbs, 1 shining from above one pointed at the turret side and one pointed at the running gear, then set my little compact camera to auto and put the macro on and click!!, thats all mate, daylight bulbs are just great i don't know how i managed so long without using them.

cheers guys oz!.

Day light bulb.... i love them.. use them as main lighting in our flat... but they are so freaking hard to find and buy .... do you use any kind of stand light for the photos oz?

Sorry to ask but I really need to upgrade my photo shoots as u may noticed, I use natural sun light and it's not enough

Wow mate it really works. I must pop down and see your set-up coz it looks superb. These are some of the best shots I've seen from you mate or any one else for that matter. :wow:

nothing wrong with a bit of male bonding' its good for the soul :winkgrin: ......... this is the set up i use' not much to look at but it works ok' there is very little heat from daylight bulbs so you can put them close to the model without fear of melting anything, the only other light i use it the ceiling light in my room, i next gave the whole model a very thin wash of the humbrol sand, making sure it pooled in the recesses and around some of the higher points of the model when it was was dry a thin overall wash of the dust was put on top of this, but before the dust wash was dry i took a 000 brush dipped in white spirits and starter to streak some of the panels and rear mud guards , on the rear pic the left is un-streaked while the right side is streaked (hope you can see what i mean).

the pics look a bit darker thats because I'm starting to lose the natural light.

regards oz!.

IMG_4251_zps4c3a7901.jpg

18_zps206a86b5.jpg

17_zps002e0060.jpg21_zps6d195342.jpg20_zpsef8a70bc.jpg19_zpscd7d7831.jpg

• Like 3

thanks guys' your kind comments are always appreciated..........

i next used some pigments mixed in some thinners so it looked like a weak wash and using my 000 brush painted more vertical lines onto the sides of the model, when dry i used a cut down brush and scrubbed the vertical lines so as to fade them out a bit ( note the cupola ).

on the turret roof i used more of the pigment wash and put random dots all over the turret roof and hull deck' when dry i again scrubbed them with my cut down brush to fade them out a bit, what i was going for is a dirty/mottled effect.

the first cupola pic shows a general humbrol dust wash then streaks using the pigment wash next its blended with the cut down brush.

the turret roof was done the same way.

cheers guys............oz!

23_zps4547bacc.jpg24_zps95154779.jpg25_zpsf9b2a3dc.jpg26_zpsaf80c700.jpg27_zpsd294869e.jpg28_zps5cb91bc8.jpg

• Like 1

thanks k :winkgrin: i then added some dark brown pastels around some of the deeper angles and raised detail and thats it finished, thanks for the kind comments and the interest guys.

regards oz!.

34_zps54217204.jpg

31_zps97e4eb64.jpg32_zpsf7a0972e.jpg33_zpsa4b91a36.jpg35_zpse9cb2e46.jpg36_zps6ad60598.jpg37_zps3399390a.jpg

thank you for the kind comments and your encouragement Gary' its very much appreciated.

cheers oz!.