So many Lightnings, so little time (or how I actually managed to finish in time for once!) photos of completed model added

So it's that time already! The GB is up and running and I've still not decided which of my Lightning kits I'm going to build, never mind decide in what markings. I have to be honest and state upfront that I rarely enter GB's for the simple reason that I never seem to manage to finish anything by the end date. I am determined to break that track record for this one though, trouble is I'm still separated from my stash by the North Sea so I'm not off to a great start!

So what to build, I'm trying to remember what Lightning kits I have in the stash. I know I have the following to choose from, firstly in 1/72:

The new Airfix F2a x2, one with the Alleycat conversion I intend using for either an F1A or F3, 3x new Airfix F6, 1 each of the Sword T4 and T5, 1 each of the Sword F1 and F3, 1 each of the Whirlybirds resin T4 and T5, one of John Aero's vacform conversions for the T4 and several old Airfix kits for donors, a host of Trumpeter Lightnings but I prefer not to talk about them. I also have the Neomega resin conversion for a T bird but it has been abandoned in mid build and doesn't look like it'll ever get finished now (it's a bit of a Trumpeter clone horror thing anyway).

In 1/48 I've got the Eduard edition of the Airfix kit, at least 1 of the Airfix F1/F1A/F2/F3 kits along with a CMK resin conversion for a T bird, I think I have 3 of the F6 versions as well. I don't even build 1/48 normally but I've got a bit of a Lightning problem it would appear.

Decal wise I have too many sheets to list or remember but I can build lots of RAF Leuchars aircraft for sure so that is what I'll do. That gives me the choice of F1's of 74 Sqn (but I've already done that), F1's and F1A's of the TFF, F3's of 23 and 74 Sqns and F6's of 74, 11, 23 Sqns as well as the TFF again and of course T birds for each of the Squadrons already mentioned plus a couple loaned out to them on occasions from the OCU which would be a bit different.

So there we have it, I've made a start, even if it is just a rambling storyline with no photos and no real idea of what I'm going to do. Will I get to the finishing line (will I even get started)? Only time will tell.

Duncan B

• Like 4

That's a rather nice selection of options Duncan. May I suggest the new Sword F.1 in the TTF scheme for purely selfish reasons as I love that combination?

• Like 1

I forgot to mention the Frog P1 kit that I acquired recently, it is very basic and apparently is very inaccurate dimension wise but might be something interesting to have a go at.

I have to say that looking at all the 1/48 Lightnings I'm really tempted to break one out of the stash and have a go ( but they are so big they are scary!).

Duncan B

• Like 1

I forgot to mention the Frog P1 kit that I acquired recently, it is very basic and apparently is very inaccurate dimension wise but might be something interesting to have a go at.

I have to say that looking at all the 1/48 Lightnings I'm really tempted to break one out of the stash and have a go ( but they are so big they are scary!).

Duncan B

Ooh a Frog P1- personally I'd hack that and one of those Trumpeter travesties together Duncan to make an at least half-way accurate model. Think I have the majority of a built P1 hidden away somewhere with that project in mind.

As for the 48th scale Lightning; do it, do it, do it! Go on, you know you want to, get a big toy out and think how much easier it'll be on your eyesight.

• Like 1

I'm home now. Sword Lightnings were already here and very fine they look too. It'll take a few days for me to get all the domestic stuff that gathers over a month away sorted out then I'll be able to get started.

Duncan B

• Like 1

You've a little short of a month to get one ready for the next club night - no pressure ;)

Ah but I still haven't brought the F1 up to show it off (or have I?).

Actually I'm likely to miss the next one too as my crew changes have fallen into sync with the club nights at the moment. I'm away again on the 5th November, club night should be the 4th.

DB

Hi Duncan,

You have far too many Lightnings in your stash, mate! Please seek some counseling, and donate a few to Lightning-deprived modellers such as myself. You will feel very good about yourself. :):):)

Cheers,

Bill

PD. You gotta build an F1, any way you'd like.

• Like 1

Hi Bill

I have way too many Lightnings in the stash and really should seek help, maybe this GB is it. "Hi, I'm Duncan and I'm a Lightning nut!".

Tomorrow I promise to start hacking plastic off sprues, but which one?

DB

• Like 1

Hi Bill

I have way too many Lightnings in the stash and really should seek help, maybe this GB is it. "Hi, I'm Duncan and I'm a Lightning nut!".

DB

I won't get that opportunity until Mon. I just love working the late shift on a Scotland Euro qualifier weekend....

• Like 1

Hi Bill

DB

I vote for the Airfix F.2A, with the Alley Cat conversion set to make the F.1A. I have the same items in my stash, so I can follow your build and then copy it when my time comes.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I must admit that the phrase "it's a bit of a Trumpeter clone horror thing anyway" rings nostalgic for me in some odd way...

• Like 2

I vote for the Airfix F.2A, with the Alley Cat conversion set to make the F.1A. I have the same items in my stash, so I can follow your build and then copy it when my time comes.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I must admit that the phrase "it's a bit of a Trumpeter clone horror thing anyway" rings nostalgic for me in some odd way...

Bill, thanks for making my mind up for me. An Airfix/Alleycat Lightning F1A it is, markings will be for an F1A of Leuchars Target Facilities Flight circa 1965-7. (I was fumbling around with the Neomega Trumpeter clone horror thing, TCHT, this morning but thought better of it and carefully put the lid back on the box.)

So that's the difficult bit sorted, all I've got to do now is build it!

Duncan B

• Like 2

Hi Duncan,

Nice choice of subject and materials; I'm looking forward to seeing once of these conversions executed. It's good to read also of your neat sidestep of the alternative, which I believe now appears in most modern dictionaries as an entry for 'Travesty'.

cheers,

Andrew.

An Airfix/Alleycat Lightning F1A it is, markings will be for an F1A of Leuchars Target Facilities Flight circa 1965-7.

Great choice, Duncan! I can't wait to see the progress. :):):)

I picked up the Alley Cat conversion set when it first came out (not knowing what Sword was up to, of course) and it's beautiful. I plan on doing an F.1A from 111 Squadron (with the black tail, spine, and sinister looking lightning bolt up front). If that build goes well, I'll pick up another set from Ali. I have an old Modeldecal sheet for an F.3 of 56 (F) Squadron with those red and white checker tails, and it's crying out to me. "Dip me in water before I crack and turn yellow!"

Gotta love it!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Bill, I take it you've not seen the announcement on Ali's website?

Duncan, signing up to watch this one, should be ace given your last F1 !

Keith

No, so I just had a look. The announcement is dated 11 November 2014 - so it hasn't happened yet?

This doesn't look like good news. I wish him all the best.

Cheers,

Bill

Can't order off the website any more Bill, so I think the date may be wrong. Hannants have apparently been getting (& quickly selling - I've missed two things I wanted already) all his stock.

I echo your best wishes, Ali does some fantastic stuff.

Keith

Can't order off the website any more Bill, so I think the date may be wrong. Hannants have apparently been getting (& quickly selling - I've missed two things I wanted already) all his stock.

I echo your best wishes, Ali does some fantastic stuff.

Keith

Well, I didn't need the paycheck this week anyway. I better get over to Hannants and see what's left! :)

It's interesting that Hannants lists some Alley Cat items as "Future Releases." These are all 1/32 resin kits - maybe good news?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Just dive in, the pair of you! The water's fine! :lol:

They're both members of the same modelling club as I am so a little direct 'encouragement' can be applied to help get going ;):fight:

• Like 2