Vietnam Combat Search and Rescue Team 1/72

A-37_zps68291789.png

Hello Luis Alfonso,

very interesting first hand information about the A-37 operated by your country. Motivated me to look under the dust for my old Hasegawa dragonfly. It was one of my first airbrushed models and dates back to the early nineties. I have also the Academy kit in my stash.

Talking about the B-26 K I found the wheels you have suggested. They are 7,95 EUR here in Germany. As I could equip two models with the set I´m really considering to buy it. When I dug out my Invader in action action book I found out that Guatemala also operated Invaders until the 1970s and one of the aircraft taking part in the Bay of Pigs operation landed in your country. Very interesting!

Regards

Mario

Hi Mario:

YOU really make a nice built models, YES SIR!!! I liked this Viet Nam veteran the way you did it, with all the antennas and other accesories and also the ordenance you have used, congratulations. I also have "at least" two Hasegawa and "some three or four" Academy kits, AND if you plan to build one in Guatemalan Air Force markings, you must have to use the Academy drop tanks, as there are the ones used here. Also the Academy kit have all the antennas used in ours and even tough I always am in love with Mrs. Hasegawa, the Academy kit is better and can leave the open canopy option. About the Invaders, as soon as I can, will share some pics of this old warrior: we have used the solid nose six and eight gun AND, also the clear nose used mainly in photo work. I have withnessed those old warriors flying and really was a great show to watch them, as all the earth tremble with the strong sound of their engines. B26 Invaders paint patterns werw: Silver, black and grey.

About the wheels. ITS A REAL improvement as the kit has the normal invader ones as seems that Italeri forgot the change. Also the unused Italeri ones could be used to improve the old Airfix kit wheels. I bought mines because I wanted to use a Paragon conversion given by a friend to make the K with the Airfix kit, and reading abouth I was lookingthat theprops are the ones used by the DC6 shortened and the KC wheels.....then Italeri kit was in sale at Squadron and bought it to see that the wheels inthe kit are the ones used by the B/C version.

Also speaking about Bay of Pigs, the Cuban Brigada 2506 was training in the then NEW constructed Pacific Ocean Coast base in Retalhuleu, and the actual Guatemalan Air Force Base (FAG= Fuerza Aérea Guatemalteca) there was the one used by them. They have at least eight Invaders painted in the same colour markings as the regular FAG aircraft, and in a book written by a veteran of the brigada named "Operación Puma(= Cougar Operation) the author wrote that once a FAG Invader was asking tower permit to fly and the one in the tower said, "How I will give you permit to leave if you have asked permit to land" because when the Brigada was in training and an emergency was arisen nearby Guatemala City they have to land here......then the Real FAG aircraft pilot said that there was a mistake that painted the same number to both planes.... (I am believing we have the same favourite planes ...=))

When the Brigada 2506 leave for Nicaragua, its said that the B26 used here by them were absorbed by FAG.

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Hello Luis Alfonso,

that was al lot of information I found today! First of all thank you for your kind words regarding my old Dragonfly. You are right - the Academy version is much better. I have two of them unbuilt. but when I open an Academy box, it always reminds me of other kits, for example their Sabre (similar but not equal to Hobbycraft), their OV-10, A-37 and P-47 which look like improved Hasegawa kits. Should I ever build them I would improve a lot of things. for example making FOD covers from mesh (berhaps using sieves from water-taps). Originally I planned to build one American and one Southvietnamese version, but when rediscovered my Dragonfly in action book yesterday, I found that there are a lot of interesting South- or Centralamerican aircraft with easier to realize decal options (for custom-made decals).

Regarding the Invader and the Bay of Pig campain I must say that scale modelling can be a very instructive hobby! I learned quite a lot from our conversation!

Unfortunately I never managed to build an Invader. Long before Italeri and Revell brought out their improved kits, I stockpiled several of the Airfix B-26s I could get cheaply when a toyshop nearby closed its gates. One model I intended to build as an Southvietnamese aircraft of the "Farmgate" program (together with a Heller T-28), but I never knew for sure of the correct paint. My Sqadron Signal publication of the Southvietnamese Airforce showed mostly b/w photos, so I´m not sure if the Invaders were natural metal or overpainted in light grey as the Trojans were. I think the first VNAF aircraft were formerly French used Invaders, so I would opt for aluminium, but I´m not sure.

Best regards

Mario

P.S. The F-86 is ready again, but with all those Dragonflies and Invaders I forgot to take a photo.

Edited by Mario
  • Like 1

Hi Mario:

Our cherished hobby have a lot of associated nicer things only discovered by people like you and me, that have enjoyed things like the instructive part of the hobby, a friend of mine who is from the Guatemalan Modeler's Old Guard said once in a conversation that the scale modeling has an educative part because you are learning something each time you search apropriately for a building subject. I'm very happy you have enjoyed our talks. Thank you very much for that.

About the Dragonflies: AZTEC of Mexico have worked closely with ESCALA ( BTW "my" more closest friends's modeling club) to develop two or three decal sets related to Guatemalan Air force planes in 1748 AND 1/72: (1) Old Warriors and (2) COIN Warriors, AND (3) Mayan Gods you can see them in the followed links :

http://www.aztecmodels.com/images/promos/c045promo.png

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/decals/az/decal_aztec_48045.shtml

http://www.aztecmodels.com/le_3y4/le4.HTM

http://www.aztecmodels.com/Fag/InstructivoFAG.jpg

The AZTEC factory Link is here: http://www.aztecmodels.com/

BUT more closely to your home, HANNANT'S in Great Britain also sold the Aztec decals, if you are interested, just check for availability there and you will have less work and investing time doing decals yourself. OR, I'll take a PC Scan of my decal sets to send you the exact meassurements of them to help you keeping down costs ;), ......just drop a line here!!! :)

The >Hobbycraft Sabre is the same Academy moulds but the Academy decals are great in comparison with the Hobbycraft ones, BUT the HC price is cheaper. ALSO about the FOD Cover for A37, there are some kind of very very fine mesh sold by some hardware stores, mostly related with industrial uses, here in Guatemala is sold by square meter and is highly priced, but they sell also by 1 inch long x 36 inches wide for some US $ 3-4 Dollars...I bought of three sizes, really useful, you can try this.

About the FARMGATE Invaders,is better to ask Learstang (Jason) for that, I read something that the B26 used there were first Aluminum with black engines and were taken directly from AMAARC to the combat zone. Maybe Our friend can say many important things about that....AND also you have the same "malaise" as me:stockpile Airfix invaders: I have three Usairfix for the Black ones, two Airfix for the silver ones and one MPC for the gray because this one is white....and the Italeri K version. I have to buy the Revell kit too as the experts said its perfect and the Airfix one has some errors, but really, Mrs Airfix too has been with me in a very happy and very very long romance of all my modeling life, and really, at least for me, this kit doesn´t look too bad as the experts say: Just Improve something and reshape the propellers, and as Terrance Marriot of the Old SAM fame said or wrote once: "Correct the obvious and camouflage the rest"......I really have enjoyed all the Airfix kits i built.

Well my friend, hope soon you will update the Sabre topic and we have to enjoy the new mods and improved quality of this nicely finished model, Have a nice and very productive weekend and happy modeling. While, i'll be going touniversity with my Daugther and looking at the Revell Germany/Italeri Distribuitor for Guatemala about an Invader, try to finish something or at least pullling many of the started ones to the finish line and look for the pics I offered to share with you.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Hello Luis Alfonso,

that was a lot of information once again. I really admire your profund knowlege of aviation and modelling. I think I will collect your posts and publish a modelling guide from it! The idea with the mesh is very good and I will keep my eyes open when visit a hardware store next. I also checked your links for the Dragonfly decals. There are interesting options without doubt. Regarding FAG A-37s, I found a particular aircraft obviously wearing SEA camo. In the Dragonfly in action book there is a picture of two Guatemaltecian A-37, but it is said that they were Mexican origin and on a ferry flight to your country. The camo looks somehow better than the Grey/green one.

Funny that you obviously have as many of the Airfix Invaders as me. I wonder why Airfix had economic problems with so many kits sold.

By the way - I have been very busy today. I managed to post a photo of my corrected F-86 and also launched a new topic. I removed the dust from some of my models and presented them as "Secret War" in Laos collection. Hopefully you like it as much as my rescue team.

Enjoy the weekend with your daughter and don`t visit too many hobby shops!

Best regards

Mario

• Like 1

Hi Mario:

What a gift you have shared with us here!!!!!

I have watched the Secret War and really have anjoyed the pics more that twenty minutes......great pics and great models, and yes, the pic you have watched was when the A-37 were on the ferry flight to Guatemala as they were bought new from the factory, as Guatemala was the second country after Viet Nam to have the Dragonlfly operational for use in the world, the third was Chile. Here the SEA colour pattern were used from 1970 to 1989 and after the Europe I until those days.... The ones with yellow tail were theones used by Aerobatic Squadron knonw as "Escuadrilla Quetzales", they used first five then eight planes depending the years and who was the leader. I'm happy you have enjoyed all the posts we have shared, and I have really enjoyed all the masterpieces you have shared with us, thank youvery much for all your time and patience taking and posting the pics.

BTW I have gone to Kasperle-the Revell/Italeri exclusive dealer here, and, as October 1st is the "Children's Day" here, they are celebrating the "Children's Month"....so I was watching the Italeri Invader (B26B the solid nose black one)......and have reserved the F5E Of Patrouille Suisse for my son and for me, the box with the pair Macchi MC 202/205....the items bought today were not planes, were Trudi stuffed animals for my daughters.....JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA.....

Cheers and have a nice Sunday!!!!

Luis Alfonso

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 1

Hello Luis Alfonso,

thank you once again for commenting all three topics! I´m very happy you liked all my models and took so much time watching the pictures. The O-2 is also one of my favourites. I had four kits of it and built two models - which is not too bad (but my stash is still very high). Great information again regarding the A-37. Wouldn´t be bad building one as next project (with an expert at hand).

I really hope you enjoyed the weekend with your children. Obviously you are infecting them with the modeller virus. Be careful not to have three or more stashes of Airfix Invaders one day...

Talking about the new Italeri Invader: I think it comes with a very good decal sheet but seems to be more expensive than the older Revell/Italeri releases. If you visit their website and Facebook account, have a look for two of my Super Sabres and a F-104G.

P.S. There are some more pictures of the AC-119 K in the Laos Topic.

Best regards

Mario

Edited by Mario
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Uncle Mario!!!!

Looking for something interesting about the Hobycraft Cessna 337, kit HC1201 in the web, i found this special topic, hope you have something more to add to it as it was a very special one with 36 posts in the thread.

Think times can change and go as water currents are flowing to the sea, but is nice to visit again the references about the times that went by and find memories that can make anyone smile and keep on with the modeling desires.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Hi Uncle Mario!!!!

Looking for something interesting about the Hobycraft Cessna 337, kit HC1201 in the web, i found this special topic, hope you have something more to add to it as it was a very special one with 36 posts in the thread.

Think times can change and go as water currents are flowing to the sea, but is nice to visit again the references about the times that went by and find memories that can make anyone smile and keep on with the modeling desires.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Hi Nephew Luis Alfonso!

Nice you remembered my most successful post here on BM! Perhaps should do a second part with the Starfix HH-3 or Airfix HH-53. If the O-2 was easier available in 1/72 scale, I´m sure the case would have ended as the mass-production of Hueys.

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

• Like 1

Hi Nephew Luis Alfonso!

Nice you remembered my most successful post here on BM! Perhaps should do a second part with the Starfix HH-3 or Airfix HH-53. If the O-2 was easier available in 1/72 scale, I´m sure the case would have ended as the mass-production of Hueys.

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

This would be a nice thing, and maybe you can add an AC 130 too, for sure will be a nice addition. ALSO for some Oscar Deuce (O-2) you can come here to this side of the pond or contact ARII directly to sell you a full box of 36. I remember a Hobby Shop Owner bought a box of each for sell here but unfortunatelly I haven't had enough money, so when I have some excess cash to dispose of, went right there to buy one or two of all the nice models they have to sell from nice ARII aircraft...one day you will see. While we can update here the talk with the new findings we have had in the last two years My Friend!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

This would be a nice thing, and maybe you can add an AC 130 too, for sure will be a nice addition. ALSO for some Oscar Deuce (O-2) you can come here to this side of the pond or contact ARII directly to sell you a full box of 36. I remember a Hobby Shop Owner bought a box of each for sell here but unfortunatelly I haven't had enough money, so when I have some excess cash to dispose of, went right there to buy one or two of all the nice models they have to sell from nice ARII aircraft...one day you will see. While we can update here the talk with the new findings we have had in the last two years My Friend!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Hi Nephew Luis Alfonso!

Don´t know much about the Arii brand and if it still exists. Only thing I know is that their kits are very difficult to find on this side of the pond. Tamales and Oscar Deuces are surely good reasons to visit you over there!

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

Edited by Mario

Hi Nephew Luis Alfonso!

Don´t know much about the Arii brand and if it still exists. Only thing I know is that their kits are very difficult to find on this side of the pond. Tamales and Oscar Deuces are surely good reasons to visit you over there!

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

Let me see,will ask to my friend in Japanese Embassy, maybe she will give us some light where we have to give a knock...:) while, dream that you will buy with me a lot of 100 ARII Cessna O-2/337, half to this side of the pond and half to yours!!!

Cheers.

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Let me see,will ask to my friend in Japanese Embassy, maybe she will give us some light where we have to give a knock... :) while, dream that you will buy with me a lot of 100 ARII Cessna O-2/337, half to this side of the pond and half to yours!!!

Cheers.

Luis Alfonso

Your friend in the Japanese Empassy will surely promoted afterwards because of the benefit she achieved for her county´s economy.

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

Very Very nice work...I admire it from more than one perspective....

Thank you for your kind comment. Very much appreciated!

• Like 1

Your friend in the Japanese Empassy will surely promoted afterwards because of the benefit she achieved for her county´s economy.

Cheers,

Well, for any part I must have to start,later will see what we can find by her way, hope everything will be nice there for Mr and Mrs ARII there in the Rising Sun Empire!!!

• Like 1