Acrylic remover....

Riggers

Hi guys,

C'mmon, I need help!!

I have sprayed my Revell London Taxi with Halfords grey primer, then over coated with Halfords Gloss Black.

I don't like the finish as I feel I have gone too thick with the coats & I have slight orange peel.

I want to remove the black & take it back to base plastic....I CAN'T!!

I have set on it with Fairy Power Spray....nothing! Mr Muscle oven cleaner...nothing! I don't have a deep bath that I could use IPA (alcohol NOT the nasty beverage from Suffolk)....

Any tips as Mrs Riggers wants this one to go with the Revell London bus....in the stash!

Thanks as always.......ATB, Riggers

Brake fluid. Another option is coat it in Klear, it's self levelling, hides imperfections..

Thanks...but if I give it a coat in Klear, it'll sit in the recesses of the panel lines & hide them.....

Have a word with Mrs Riggers and use her nail polish remover.

I do!! Cleans out the airbrush a treat.....! Lol

Tesco basics..

multi surface cleaner.. in the white container.. removes acrylic, enamel just soak overnight....

Like it.....Mrs Riggers is off shopping in a bit....good call Sir, thanks........

Tesco basics..

multi surface cleaner.. in the white container.. removes acrylic, enamel just soak overnight....

Hi Mrs Riggers is in Tesco & cannot find it. Tesco Basics doesn't exist anymore! Multi Surface Bacterial Cleaner is there with a clear bottle.....

Ta anyway...ATB

Hi Riggers,

I hope this is a bit more helpful than my last post. Try one of the gel paint strippers such as Polyycell Advanced Paint Stripper. It's a gel that you brush on, leave, and wash off when its done its work. I haven't used Polycell, but I bought something similar at Homebase a couple of years ago and used it to strip a couple of ships I wanted to repaint. Worked for me with acrylics and primers, didn't damage the plastic, and is a bit safer than some other stuff you can buy.

Best Wishes,

Will.

Halfords paint is automotive paint and short of brake fluid nothing will remove it. It's not 'normal' acrylic so none of the usual household products will work. Ask me how I know. Halfords automotive paint is tough as nails, don't forget it's designed to be used on car bodywork so it's got to withstand a lot!

P.s your young lady can't find tescos basics because it's sainsburys basics. Tescos version is everyday value.

Hope this helps.

Was going to suggest Domestos, as it'll strip off Tamiya acrylic in about 2-3 hours, but as Aimee'sDad mentioned Halfords stuff is a lot tougher.

Sounds a lot of work but how about good old wet and dry? A basin full of warm soapy water and an hour or so of elbow grease. I had to do it once with a particularly stubborn coat of humbrol, when I didn't have anything else to hand. Just sat listening to Pink Floyd for an hour or so, it was quite therapeutic IIRC.

Odd.

• 2 weeks later...

Halfords paint is automotive paint and short of brake fluid nothing will remove it. It's not 'normal' acrylic so none of the usual household products will work. Ask me how I know. Halfords automotive paint is tough as nails, don't forget it's designed to be used on car bodywork so it's got to withstand a lot!

P.s your young lady can't find tescos basics because it's sainsburys basics. Tescos version is everyday value.

Hope this helps.

Well...there you go! Even brake fluid doesn't shift it!! Absolutely nothing...not even the black topcoat!! NASA should use this stuff to keep the tiles on the space shuttle!!

Have to do a grovel email to Revell & see if they can replace it for me. I have to say, their replacement department are top notch...I broke a part ages ago, completed the online form & around 4 weeks later the part came in the post. Try again on a body shell!!

ATB & thanks for the responses........

• Like 1

Have you tried to ask Halfords how to get the paint off?

Revell is about to release a Paint stripper for enamel. I will get me a bottle just to try. Usually I am perfectly fine with oven cleaner for everything that "Paint Killer" does not kill. But I place the patrs to be stripped in Tupperware containers, given them plenty of oven cleaner and let them soak sometimes for weeks - I always win in the end. But I never tried it on Automotive paint.

But in the end you are probably better off to kindly ask Revell for a replacement as you say - I agree that they service is excellent.

Rene

Somebody somewhere mentioned a product called Biostrip and claimed it would even remove Halfords primer. I was thinking of getting some but I'm b@ggered if I can find the post now. Biostrip's own website says the stuff isn't suitable for removing bicycle/automotive paint but it goes on to invite you to contact them for "advise" (sic) on treating these surface. It might be worth giving them a shout to see if they have any suggestions. Just to be clear, I haven't used Biostrip myself and I'm not recommending it, just suggesting another possible avenue for you to try.

http://www.biostrip.co.uk/biostrip-20-paint-stripper-500ml-tub.html

Micromesh? Again lots of work but flattening out that orange peel might just get the paint down to the thickness you desire.

Odd.

Oddball...if I use Micromesh, it'll remove the raised detail of the cab i.e. Austin logo, door handles, wing weld seams.....good thought thou....

ATB

• 3 weeks later...

Have you found a solution? I just saw a review of Xtracylic "Purisol" paint remover in Scale Aircraft Modelling from May 2013. They did not test it on Halfords but on acrylic, enamel and AlcladII and it removed all without much ado. Maybe (!!!) it removes the Halford paint too.

Rene

Hi Riggers,

Try Fairy Power Spray. It removes just about everything.

Best wishes,

Will.

Seconded. I used Fairy Power Spray to strip a metal model that had been painted for 15 years with Games Workshop Citadel acrylics and it worked a treat. Just soak the model or areas to have paint removed overnight and scrub with a toothbrush or similar if you need to.

Edited by Raven Morpheus