1/48 Cavalier Turbo III Mustang - Heritage Models Conversion

Hi everyone,

For show is this wee beasty which is part of the Mustang STGB. As usual I wanted to do something different for the GB and once I saw this I just knew I had to build it.

This aircraft was build new by Cavalier Aircraft Corp in 1968 and was based off their Mustang II. Designed as a Close Air Support/Counter-Insurgency aircraft the original RR Merlin was replaced with a RR Dart 510 turboprop. Despite the radically improved performance and payload increase no sales were made. In 1970 the prototype was sold to Piper which spawned the Piper PA-48 Enforcer.

The basis for this is Tamiya’s 1/48th F-51D, to which was added the Heritage Aviation Models Turbo Mustang III conversion kit. Unfortunately it’s not the best of resin mouldings but it is the only one I know of out there. The build was a wee bit difficult but that was mostly my fault....did things completely ar#e-about, but I’m still pretty happy to have this really unusual and brutal beast added to the collection.

Please enjoy and I have attached the thread for the build.

Cheers

Build thread: build link

DSCF1946_zpsdae720a3.jpg

DSCF1948_zps8a063a75.jpg

DSCF1947_zpsac8818da.jpg

DSCF1952_zps129b89ae.jpg

DSCF1953_zpsbb1de8e8.jpg

DSCF1954_zps2d1485c6.jpg

DSCF1958_zpsc1defc05.jpg

• Like 17

Cracking job Rich :thumbsup: Watched this one taking shape on the GB and you've done a grand job. Plenty Whif potential with this one as well...

Apart from the nose, what else was different on this Mustang, as I would not mind doing a conversion of my own but 1/72 scale

The main other thing is the removal of the radiator, the underside is now smooth from the wing roots to the tail wheel. This was area that gave me lots of trouble with the conversion kit....poorly done.

The tail is a bit taller as well but that's an easy fix.

The main canopy is different so the second member of the crew has a bit of head space, this maybe a bit harder to do.

The tip tanks can probably be sourced from a good spares box.

Heritage models do a 1/72 version, bit it will probably take a bit of work, just like the 1/48 version.

• 2 weeks later...