Stuka Ju87B correct colours

Winenut

I'm building the airfix 1/72 Stuka.

Any experts out there on the correct RLM colours for the Interior, Upper splinter pattern and lower surfaces???

I'm having a crack at the Italian 239a 97 Gruppo Squadriglia 1941 version but pretty sure they just had the original German camo with Italian insignia.

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers

The normal splinter pattern colours are RLM 70/71 for the upper surfaces and RLM65 for the lower surfaces. If it was me I'd do RLM02 for the interior.

Others will definitely know more though.

• Like 1

Standard Luftwaffe colours would be RLM70/71 on the uppersurfaces with RLM 65 underneath, cockpit could be RLM 02 (likely) or RLM 66

It appears as if some aircraft could of been RLM71 on the uppersurfaces though.

I presume you found this site

• Like 1

The normal splinter pattern colours are RLM 70/71 for the upper surfaces and RLM65 for the lower surfaces. If it was me I'd do RLM02 for the interior.

Others will definitely know more though.

Thanks Doug.

Been looking around and I think your callouts are right. I was leaning to RLM02 for the interior too after finding a walkaround with a bit of a cockpit image

Appreciate your post

Standard Luftwaffe colours would be RLM70/71 on the uppersurfaces with RLM 65 underneath, cockpit could be RLM 02 (likely) or RLM 66

It appears as if some aircraft could of been RLM71 on the uppersurfaces though.

I presume you found this site

Hey Charlie...

Yeah I wasn't sure if the darker 66 was right for the interior but we all seem to think the 02 is the likely candidate

Thanks heaps......need to check my paints in the mancave ....rummage ....rummage....

I'm having a crack at the Italian 239a 97 Gruppo Squadriglia 1941 version but pretty sure they just had the original German camo with Italian insignia.

Yes, the camo was the original Luftwaffe 70/71/65 scheme. The original German insignia were either overpainted or removed using chemicals.... if repainted, the colour used was likely the Italian Verde Oliva Scuro 2 for the upper surfaces while the Grigio Azzurro Chiaro is a suspect for the lower surfaces. If solvents were used, then the result was a dirtier area where this was used.

The italian green was also used on the fuselage at some point to reduce the large size of the original white band.

• Like 1

Yes, the camo was the original Luftwaffe 70/71/65 scheme. The original German insignia were either overpainted or removed using chemicals.... if repainted, the colour used was likely the Italian Verde Oliva Scuro 2 for the upper surfaces while the Grigio Azzurro Chiaro is a suspect for the lower surfaces. If solvents were used, then the result was a dirtier area where this was used.

The italian green was also used on the fuselage at some point to reduce the large size of the original white band.

Really appreciate the guidance and contribution Giorgio.

Much more confident now on the colours and the overall finish.

Cheers

The interior colour may be a function of which company buuilt the aircraft. Both Junkers and Weser Flugzeugbau built the Ju 87B. I believe that those built by Junkers used 02 and those built by Weser used the dark grey (66). This goes back tio the A model.

As for the exterior, it would be the standard splinter of 70/71 over 65 undersides.

Edited by Steven Eisenman
  • Like 1

I have to say that some pictures of Ju 87s circa 1940 do seem to show a much darker colour on the visible cockpit framing and armour than one would expect for RLM 02 (when the interior itself is not visible).

I've never thought of a division by manufacturer, though it's an interesting proposition. Junkers was definitely using RLM 66 in the interior of the Ju 88 by this period, so it must have been available to it as well as 'Weserflug'.

Cheers

Steve