Airfix 1:12 1930 4.5 Litre Bentley

BrianI

I was visiting my usual deparment store today (Mackinnon Mills, Glasgow), looking at the tropical fish section.

Anyway, this store has a small airfix kit store, so I had a browse and I spied a 1:12 Airfix Bentley kit on the shelf, without a price sticker!

Asked the store assistant to price it up, it came up as £27 on the computer! (RRP £99) Needless to say too good a bargain to miss at that price!

So this will be my WIP thread for this build, looks like an interesting build due to the scale of the kit!

Some pics:

Box shot! £27 price sticker!!!!

15407541656_48b0ef5ae6_z.jpg]

Huge bag of bits!

15244010888_024f67c41b_z.jpg]

Obligatory sprue shot:

15244011248_960defc5b7_z.jpg]

Thats one big pair of chassis rails!

15430603825_c9d1f9c861_z.jpg]

Big engine block!

15244060607_3515582166_z.jpg

Wire wheels!

15430604345_dd77985bc3_z.jpg

I don't expect the kit quality to be good as a Pocher kit, but for £27 it should be a good build! Might need a few jars of Tamiya Green acrylic though..... (or a tin of Halfords Racing Green spray paint?)

:-)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Have fun with this one, but be warned there's a LOT of work to come! The parts are covered with sink holes and ejector pin marks! (at least they are on my early one). I have a build log running at the moment, hopefully that will provide some useful pointers....

Ian

At long last, I've made a small start by dry fitting the engine parts together:

15399349534_23957026c4_o.jpg

Looks like careful assembly will be required due to lack of locating lugs on the parts! Also, looking at the innards of the engine, it looks like there was at one point parts for internal gearing / pistons?

The early versions of this kit had gears to work from an internal electric motor.......

Roy.

That's pretty neat! I've sent you a PM re: pdf file, it sounds like it will be very useful for my build!

Cheers!

Brian

Well, day off today, so I've started hacking the Bentley Engine to open up the gap between the engine block and the long cylinder at the front. Google searching 1930 Bentley 4.5L engines shows that there is a gap here.

Will need to build up inside the gap with plasticard, but it should be worth it:

16068656231_3c5c22f778_o.jpg

16044781796_89d9962c73_o.jpg

:goodjob:

That's a good mod to make. I believe the front "cylinder" is the oil pump housing, but not 100%... For some excellent detail pics (no 4.5 Blowers, but some 3 litres with very similar chassis and engine detail) check out McKenzie Guppy's Flickr site...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44888572@N05/

Ian

• Like 1

Cheers for the link Ian, I've bookmarked that site.

Not much done today, a 5:30am start in the morning at work isn't conducive to modelling in the evening. However I've got all the plasticard fitted to open the gap between the oil pump housing? and the engine block.

Hopefully get the engine glued together tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm. That Airfix Chrome plating is tough stuff! I'm wanting to remove it so I can redo the chromed parts in Alclad.

Bleach hasn't shifted it, and neither has 10 hours in Mr Muscle drain cleaner (sodium hydroxide). Going to leave it in the tub of drain cleaner till after work today, which will be a 24 hour soak! Can't see it shifting though...

Any other suggestions? Or is it a case of ye olde worlde sand paper to sand it off?

As an add-on to the paint colour, it really does need to be quite dark.

I saw another build of this somewhere, where the builder gave his body parts a coat of gloss black before top coating with the green.

It made a world of difference.

Looking good so far.

Roy.

Hmmm. That Airfix Chrome plating is tough stuff! I'm wanting to remove it so I can redo the chromed parts in Alclad.

Bleach hasn't shifted it, and neither has 10 hours in Mr Muscle drain cleaner (sodium hydroxide). Going to leave it in the tub of drain cleaner till after work today, which will be a 24 hour soak! Can't see it shifting though...

Any other suggestions? Or is it a case of ye olde worlde sand paper to sand it off?

I am not sure about Airfix chrome but I know some people have been successful removing chrome by placing the parts in a cup of Coca Cola over night.