Hi all,

I have a question for the F-104 experts out there.

What are the differences between the cockpits of the TF-104 and the F-104DJ? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of using Aires' TF-104 1/48 cockpit in my Hasegawa F-104DJ.

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

There could be significant differences between the canopies, depending upon which aircraft you choose to model. Early F-104Bs had two canopy sections which met between the cockpits. The F-104D and all two-seaters based on the -G had a fixed canopy section added. The cockpits themselves were slightly different in the weapons management panels but that's pretty tiny even in 1/48. We won't tell if you don't :)

I have both the Daco F104 and Model Art Profile F104 J/DJ books.

The major difference does appear to around the Radar components. The DJ has no radar so the Front and Rear 'pits have no scopes or relevant switchgear beneath.

Also there is radar control panel immediately aft of the throttle leaver (both 'pits again).

Where these items are in the TF 104 G there is just a grey flat panel screwed in. Similar to those fitted on the -104F.

The other item not fitted is the PHINAV panel on the right side switch panel, both cockpits, again replaced with a blanking plate.

The steamgauges are mostly the same but rearranged, for instance both cockpits have the big three across the top of the upper IP, Left to right, machmeter, compass, artificial horizon or All Attitude Indicator (someone correct me please I cannot read Japanese). This pushes all the rest of the instruments around some.

Also on top of the glare shield right side is an Equivalent AOA meter mounted proud similar to the way the 104G has it standby compass.

They DJ uses the same canopy blast shield as the G.

The Japanese 104s stayed with the Lockheed C-2 ejection seat until they were retired.

The Hasegawa J/DJ kits have specific IPs included as per Tony Hoduns pages but I believe the the tubs are the same to all kits

Hope this is all of some use to you.

Marcus

Early F-104Bs had two canopy sections which met between the cockpits. The F-104D and all two-seaters based on the -G had a fixed canopy section added.

It's slightly more complicated than that - some 'B's had the multisegmented canopy, and conversely some early 'D's were delivered with the 'B style one.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook