Wings over Suez - and Aerofax J-35 Draken

tempestfan

I searched like hell for this book some ten years ago when it was long OOP. Apparently, just after I stopped searching, it was reprinted... :banghead:

In this golden age of worlwide availability, it's now possible to obtain the original hardbound version in good condition at a price comparable to the reprint, which would be my favoured route if only for the gorgeous Sea Hawk painting on the dust jacket. So - is the 2006 version a straight reprint, or is it a revised (and possibly expanded) edition which would make buying it more sensible ?

On a completely different subject, another very elusive book is the Aerofax volume on the Draken. I have managed to find one, but the price is fairly steep for an old soft cover booklet, even though it's Aerofax. Does anyone have opinions on this one ? I'm especially looking for good pics of the seat, as IIRC what was contained in the FAOWs (both blue and black issues) was not too enlightening. And if there are any other J-35 references I should be aware of (perhaps some monograph from Sweden ?), I'm grateful for any hints.

The reprint of Wings Over Suez is a softback which has a photo of a Seahawk on th cover, so no painting I`m afraid. It is basically the same book apart from a few pages of extra info.

Cheers

Tony

The softcover edition has five pages of errata and expansions at the front of the book, going into more detail on the early EAF and IAF, and also some extra supplementary information on several victory claims.

I took the smart way (I think) and ordered both the first edition hardcover and the softcover reprint as birthday present for my dad. This will enable me to check the reprint for any additional pix and other info and scan it where necessary.

• Like 1

On a completely different subject, another very elusive book is the Aerofax volume on the Draken. I have managed to find one, but the price is fairly steep for an old soft cover booklet, even though it's Aerofax. Does anyone have opinions on this one ? I'm especially looking for good pics of the seat, as IIRC what was contained in the FAOWs (both blue and black issues) was not too enlightening. And if there are any other J-35 references I should be aware of (perhaps some monograph from Sweden ?), I'm grateful for any hints.

That's a must have (it's an English translation of an earlier Swedish tittle).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saab-35-Draken-Scandinavian-Warrior/dp/1853107298

Not a detail & scale type book but OUTSTANDING colour photos of Drakens of all four operators in their twilight years of service.

Far more worth spending money for than the Aerofax (which is old and detail photos are small & BW only).

There is also a Squadron Signal Walkaround on the Draken which is all colour but I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on its accuracy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Panoz for the heads up. I was unaware of the Walk around I admit. Checking with the Squadron shop for availability, they want the modest sum of $ 55 for s&h. I've ordered a dozen, needless to say...

I guess I will never again order from Squadron (and I left a lot of money at their's in the past...).

Both Wings over Suez books have arrived. Looks like a good read.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance !

• Like 1