Fokker Dr Colour scheme

SimonR

Hi all,

I'm about to start a Fokker Dr1 Triplane of Lt Fritz Kempf and need a bit of advice on the colour scheme. The kits (Dragon) instructions seem to indicate Burnt Iron for the upper surfaces, but most the photos I have seen of the Dr1 (including Kempfs machine) have what looks like a two tone green striped effect camo.

Should I go for the green camo, and if so anybody know what colours I should use?

Thanks in advance!

cheers

Simon

As you link to Bob Laskodi's build shows, this was the standard factory finish for the Fokker DrI (and early D.VII), olive green streaked over clear doped linen. The streaks were slightly oblique on flying surfaces, vertical on fuselage sides. The streaking was done by loading a brush with paint and applying with several stokes until it needed reloading which gives a distinctive pattern. You realy need to see photos of the real things to understand what to aim at, but it's not hard to do. Easiest is do is with an enamel CDL, and then when fully cured use an acryllic olive. That way, you can easily wash off any bits you don't like.

One or two airframes were streaked over a turquoise blue finish, the same colour as the undersides, but that's one of those can of worms issues. The underside blue was usually returned a couple of inches up the fuselage sides, enough to be visible, anyway.

HTH, Paul.

• Like 1

Kempf flew two Fokker Dr.I's 213/17 and (possibly), 493/17.

The factory finish was, "The upper surfaces were painted with a dark-coloured dope applied by brush to achieve a streaky effect. The streaking on all three wings was painted at a slight angle to the wing ribs while the angle was more acute on the fuselage upper decking and horizontal tail surface... . The streaks were vertical on the fuselage sides.

All fabric surfaces thus treated were first sealed with at least two coats of clear dope prior to application of the camouflage colour. This was a dark olive dope hand brushed onto the various surfaces with individual strokes, the length of a stroke corresponding to the length of the component being so treated.

... The brush was not recharged after each stroke but used for consecutive applications until dry.

... The width of the strokes was also fairly constant and would indicate the use of a brush approximately 8cm wide

The olive dope was also applied to the cowling, wheel covers, forward upper fuselage metal panels and struts, although the later could also be seen in the under surface colour. This, (the under surface colour), was a distinctive solid turquoise" Rimell, 1998).

Jagdstaffel Boelcke unit markings. Half black and half white tailplane and elevator, (both surfaces), with demarcation along the centre-line. These colours extended down the adjacent fuselage sides and probably continued on to the fuselage undersurface. Engine cowlings were usually painted black with a white face plate.

213/17. Tail plane, port side white, starboard side black. K on fuselage outlined in black with white fill. Wing lettering in white.

493/17. Tail plane port side black, starboard side white. Upper wing letters, white, thinly outlined in black, mid wing virtually identical to 213/17. K on fuselage outlined in black and filled in with either , chrome yellow or white, (as it looks a darker tone I would go with chrome yellow).

Also do not forget that a common feature of Jagdstaffel Boelcke Dr.I's were auxiliary struts fitted to the axle sub-wing. 213/17 certainly had this feature.

There are decal sheets available that simplify the olive streaking...

Information from;

Rimell, R.L., 1991, (1998 reprint), Fokker Dr.I, A Windsock Datafile Special, Albatros Productions Ltd., Berkhamsted, Great Britain, PP.40, ISBN No. 0-948414-36-7

VanWyngarden, G., 2007, Fokker DD.I Jagdstaffeln, Albatros Productions Ltd, Berkhamsted, Great Britain, PP. 84, ISBN No. 1-902207-69-6

HTH

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 2

Thanks for taking the time to reply chaps, thats very helpful and much appreciated!

I'm going to be doing this in the WW1 GB if anybody want to take a look in and check the progress (and offer any tips!!)

cheers

Simon