EE Lightning Armament Oddities from the Archives of Flight International

Uncle Dick

The following pages of Flight International circa 1968, show some interesting loads, but what really knocked me for "six" is that one could load 1,000lb retarded bombs on the over wing pylons - how do they drop those? is it the case that they would fly off over the wing once released and not hit anything such as the tail planes (of course we know that was not a problem on the Airfix F.6 as it had no tail planes :speak_cool: ) but jokes aside, mounting bombs over wing?????? and yes I did consider that James Bond types could simply go inverted and release... amazing what you can find in the archives of Flight International! Also check out that fuselage rocket pack...

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1968/1968%20-%201765.html

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1968/1968%20-%201766.html

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1968/1968%20-%201772.html

lastly and slightly off topic, did you ever know the RR Avon engines were offset to such a degree in the fuselage? :banghead: see below page at bottom right (and to think I thought they fit snuggly next to each other vertically aligned below the tail :oops: )

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1968/1968%20-%201769.html

• Like 1

Those were the proposed set ups for export customers. Whether they were ever fitted up that way by Kuwait and Saudi i don't know.

The EE Lightning never had over wing pylons, over wing fuel tanks yes. If you want to find out correct information, the best bet is to visit http://www.lightnings.info where you will find all you wanted to know.

Several trials aircraft did indeed have overwing pylons, as the photos linked show they could carry twin combines rocket pod/ fuel tanks. If one wishes to be pedantic the RAF's lightnings carried fuel tanks on overwing pylons.

Andrew

• Like 1

The Flight article shows proposed Bomb (and other) carrying pylons on the overwing positions. This was for the developed/improved F.53 project

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1968/1968%20-%201766.html

A few pages l;ater it mentions that the overwing bombs would be 'blown off' by cartridge links

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1968/1968%20-%201770.html

Mmm, a use for those Rocket pods from the Airfix MIrage IIIC.......

Still think the most interesting Lightning weapon was the test installation of the AIR-2 Genie

Edited by Dave Fleming

All very thought provoking. Thanks for the links.

Why wasn't the Sidewinder ever used? It would seem a natural choice.

BAe proposed a number of solutions in the early '80s that allowed the Sidewinder to be carried but none of these was ever implemented. The main reason was that when these designs were proposed, the RAF considered the Lightning to be at the end of its career. That the aircraft was only retired several years later is another story..

• Like 2

Why wasn't the Sidewinder ever used? It would seem a natural choice.

One of my future "what-if" plans is either an old Airfix F.3 or Hasegawa F.6 with an eight-AIM-9L load - dual launchers on both the fuselage and overwing hardpoints.

Bubble canopy, perhaps. Chaff / flare buckets and RWR pimples, for certain.

Cheers,

Andre

I know the various armament fits were proposed - and even fitted for display - but were any of them ever actually TESTED ???

Did trials ever take place for releasing 1,000lb bombs from the overwing stores stations??

I would have thought that it would quite a bit of work to clear all the combinations for release to service - and I suspect it never happened.

But.... I have been known to be wrong before!!!

Ken

PS - Maybe they were hoping for the buyer to pay for the trials once they had signed on the dotted line?

PS - Maybe they were hoping for the buyer to pay for the trials once they had signed on the dotted line?

Not likely - EE had to pay through the nose for range facilities during the trials of air-to-ground weapons for the Kuwaiti and Saudi Lightnings.

Cheers,

Andre

I know the various armament fits were proposed - and even fitted for display - but were any of them ever actually TESTED ???

Did trials ever take place for releasing 1,000lb bombs from the overwing stores stations??

I would have thought that it would quite a bit of work to clear all the combinations for release to service - and I suspect it never happened.

But.... I have been known to be wrong before!!!

Ken

Yes they were tested. In the early Sixties. I remember seeing some film of this at Farnborough in the mid -Sixties. Release of many weapons is/was done uising explosive charges to ensure clean separation. No great difference with this.

What I don't recall is whether the overwing tanks used by the RAF were jettisonable in flight. I suspect they may not have been.

As said elsewhere,the Lightning was always viewed by MoS as 'about to be scrapped', so little development was funded until too late. A consequence of that total clot Duncan Sandys and his treview. He was mesmersied by rockets way back from WW2 days.

Overwing 1000 pounders are a great example of "outside the box" thinking and a good way to make use of the Lightning's load-carrying capacity. I wonder if delivery of these had to be a careful combination of airspeed and attitude?

I'm guessing that the average F-100 or F-105 pilot would have looked with considerable alarm at that arrangement. :D

Reasons against carrying bombs above the wing:

Excessive drag compared with below-wing installations.

Inaccuracy

Difficulty in loading

Delivery of any bombs have to be at careful combinations of airspeed and altitude, if you want to hit anything specific. Or at least at the ones fed into your aiming mechanism, but only certain ranges will be cleared.

Loading the bombs in that configuration would have been interesting. Looks like the bomb would have to be rotated 180 degrees (onto it's back) and then lowered onto the rack by means of some type of sling. The suspension lugs certainly would have locked solidly.

Reasons against carrying bombs above the wing:

Excessive drag compared with below-wing installations.

Inaccuracy

Difficulty in loading

Delivery of any bombs have to be at careful combinations of airspeed and altitude, if you want to hit anything specific. Or at least at the ones fed into your aiming mechanism, but only certain ranges will be cleared.

True. But where else to hang 'em on a Lightning? No room underneath except outer wings, with all sorts of structural and malfunction penalties. I have to say that trying to make a Lightning into a multi role aircraft, or a fighter bomber seemed utterly silly to most of us at the time. So clearly a pure interceptor. Good, imaginative attempt though.

Not sure bombing accuracy was much degraded by over wing mounting actually. Once the release - firing - mechanism delays were understood from the trials, , relatively low level horizontal lay down or shallow dive attacks need not be significantly less accurate than any other machine's delivery - they were all fairly dreadful and heavily reliant on pilot judgement before precision guidance, which is why we needed lots of aircraft and bombs, rockets, to actually hit anything !

Agreed there was nowhere else: attempting to convert the Lightning to ground attack does count as desperation.

Whilst agreeing about the inaccuracies of any such attacks, I still say that blowing them off overwing would be even less accurate. They would have a longer trajectory (bad), reach a slower speed at the top before falling (also bad) and then have to fall through the aircraft's wake, which would add yet more variables into the flight path.

As an engineer, I feel for the poor guys at BAC that tried to add ground attack capabilities to the Lightning and had to come up with similar solutions.

Unfortunately the original design did not take into consideration any future development of this kind, any later addition had to overcome this "original sin". Had the specifications foreseen the potential need for a ground attack role or even a larger warload, things would have been much easier.

This lack of flexibility of the Lightning was also one of the main reasons for its lack of export success.

There was one other potential export that very nearly happened.

In the 80's Austria wanted an interceptor to replace their Tunnens. Enter BAe with an offer of second hand ex Saudi Lightnings. Although theirs was the cheapest quote, in order to continue the non aligned theme, they took former Flygvapnet Drakens instead.

Forbidden by their neutrality to have AAM's all they would have toted would be the cannon. So all the permutations of the armament would have been superfluous.

Would have looked good and have often thought of a WHIF.

Trevor

That's what I love about it "Classic British Boffinry" at its best! When the Yanks were buying "Made in Britain" Harriers!

Thank you all for your responses chaps, very informative indeed - if anyone has a photo source of a 'bomb over wing' on the Frightning that would be superb and pure gold!

Just imagine the look on the faces of your local ill-informed Model Club members if you make a Frightning tooled up with 2 over wing retarded bombs, 2 under wing retarded bombs or twin SNEB packs, fuselage rocket packs or a pair of AAM's (Who's this RUDDY IDIOT putting bombs on the wing! they will say!) Saudi (in dessert camo), Kuwaiti, or an EE all silver test bird would be my pick of the bunch - but an RAF bird is not out of the question with a bit of artistic license (or perhaps a Boscombe tester!)

As Billy Connolly says "I Luv it" or even an In flight Frigtning low level, with one retarded bomb just released with parachute type retard device deployed and one bomb still on the over wing while the air brakes are deployed!

JagRigger thought you would like it - wonder if it was ever considered or tested on the Jag?????? After all, Sidewinders and Magics were adopted so not much of a stretch for bombs then ....as it is more the Jags trade as it were...!

Cheers

Edited by Uncle Dick