1/72 Airfix Yugoslavian Hurricane - Zmaj Mk I No. 2347

Hi gents, I've just finished this - the Airfix rag-wing Hurricane in the markings of one of the aircraft licence-built by ZMAJ in Yugoslavia, April 1941:

Zmaj_1.jpg

Zmaj_2.jpg

Zmaj_3.jpg

Zmaj_4.jpg

Zmaj_5.jpg

Zmaj_6.jpg

This is my fourth attempt at the new-ish Airfix Hurricane, it's a lovely kit and I could still happily build more of them (and I most probably will). It's more or less OOB except for the aerial wire; I did scrape flat the ribbed panel behind the gun access covers as this was apparently metal not fabric-covered - it makes sense when you think about it and it only took a couple of minutes per wing to scrape the ribs off and scribe a new panel line in. I used the ejector-type exhausts although I did read somewhere that all the Zmaj Hurricanes had the kidney-type exhausts, I have seen photos of no.2337 where the exhaust is distinguishable they are clearly the later type.

For the camouflage I used the painting guide provided by Lift Here! Decals which recommended for Humbrol 84 Ochre, 98 Chocolate Brown and 116 Dark Green for the upper surfaces, and I used Precision Paints RLM65 for the undersurfaces as Lift Here! recommended Humbrol 65 for this, but I didn't have any of this among my paints and they are supposed to represent the same colour - I think the PP version is less bright and slightly greyer but I like the way it looks anyway.

As noted above the decals were from Lift Here! of Serbia and were excellent, a pleasure to use but sadly this set is quite difficult to get hold of now, I hope at some point they will re-release those items from their range which are currently out of stock as there are some interesting markings there and I know me, Mitch K and Sleeper Service on this forum at least would buy some of them! One possible point of controversy with the decals is that the upperwing Kosovo Cross is shown on the left wing in the instructions but it was possibly on the right wing - I have not been able to find a picture of 2347 which shows the upper wings so I went with the instructions. I also applied the gun-cover patches - I have seen models of Zmaj Hurricanes built without these, but have seen a photo of 2337 which appears to show some sort of patches over the gun-ports.

The Hurricanes no. 2347 and 2348 were the last Hurricanes produced by Zmaj and were delivered on 11th April 1941 (when Yugoslavia was already under attack by Germany) and were to be flown from Zemun to Veliki Radinci but were caught on the ground and strafed by Bf109s - 2347 was so severely damaged that it was abandoned. I found this out of course after I had finished my model, so my (rather overdone anyway) staining from the shell-ejector chutes is not at all appropriate, but such is life :D

As a footnote, this kit was built for a variety of coincidental reasons; Vanya66 and Mitch K have both recently produced excellent RYAF/VVKJ aircraft which inspired me to hunt down some decals to make a Zmaj-built Hurricane; I am moving up to Scotland at the weekend so the majority of my stash is packed and an Airfix Hurricane was at the top plus of a convenient size to build quickly and not have to re-pack half-finished and the decals arrived in time to complete it. I also wanted to try out the new Eduard micro-fabric seat harness set, which was quite easy to use (although it has a tendency to stick to itself if you are not careful) and looks quite effective once installed - see below:

Zmaj_7.jpg

Zmaj_8.jpg

I don't know what the micro-fabric is but it reminded me of that Teflon tape you use to make compressor connections airtight (or radiator connections watertight perhaps). They are quite expensive for what they are - about half the price of the Hurricane kit for two sets of harness.

Anyway apologies for the surfeit of verbiage and thanks for your attention :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 23

Lovely! Mine, painted in Tamiya mixes and dressed in the analagous Kora decal set will be along soon...

I like the harness. If only I wasn't so wedded to small pieces of tape and twisted wire (not to mention a bit less cheap!...) :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, they are a joy to build, and it was nice to do one in different markings :)

Kuro, thank you very much, it's a shame the decals are so hard to find because it is a very attractive colour scheme :)

Mitch, thank you, to be honest if I could make a convincing set of harness out of tape and wire I would not have bought the Eduard ones in the first place :D - I'm looking forward to seeing your Hurricane too :)

Thanks very much Simon, I like four-colour camo schemes so was very happy to be able to do this one :)

MM, thank you, over all I am pleased with how it turned out :D

Thanks gents,

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Well that's a great looking Hurricane Stew! Well done! I really like the idea of having a go at one of these kits at some point. Good to see a different scheme as well.

• Like 1

Hi Stew:

And just another masterpiece to watch and enjoy, with a nice article included as a bonus!!!

I have discovered tonight this nicely done gem of a build, just a nice kit which you worked a ultra very well done job. Nearly all the New Airtfix kits are nice valuefor money as the experts say, but treated with love and using all your modeling talents, sure this is a masterpiece!!! I liked the way you finished this one, as Steve,PlaStixand Sean sez.

As I was reading, It came to my mind the old Allan Hall's SAM of the late eighties with those Tailpieces or the wonderful kit reviews written by Mike McEvoy that I liked a huge lot to read those years!!!...without a doubt you are very fine building a model, taking the pics and writting about the masterpieces you do.

Some hours ago, I was talking with a friend when we will have the chance to buy the new Airfix Hurri just as the one you worked here, and he was saying me something about a new promised metal wing variant....have you knowl something about that to share???

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Another cracking build, and a very helpful little review of those new Eduard 'belts, which I'd been wondering about. They look a fair sight better than PE for the job.

• Like 1

Thank you Stix, I think it is a lovely little kit, easily the best Hurricane currently available in both detail and ease of construction; I recommend it with only the reservation that you might want to replace the wheels and fix the panel behind the gun access panels if you are bothered about them - I have not bothered to replace the wheels on any of mine but I will do the panel fix in future as it is easy and inexpensive to do :D

Sean, thank you very much :) - I've done the Belgian version that comes with one of the issued kits, and two RAF ones, and I have a smallish stack of decals mostly for other RAF versions, so I was glad to be inspired by Vanya and Mitch to do a RYAF version - I knew that Hurricanes had been exported to Yugoslavia but didn't know they had built their own as well, with such a nice paint scheme; it makes a nice change from the Dark Green/Dark Earth colours.

Luis, thank you, you flatter me enormously :lol: but I am grateful. I hope that you get the chance to build a Hurricane soon, I am sure you (and your friend) will enjoy it. As for the metal-wing Hurricane... I really don't know; I hope that Airfix will produce that as a kit and I believe they will be missing out on a great many sales if they don't because there is no decent mainstream, cheap, easily available kit of the metal-winged Mk.1. So I live in hope :pray:

PC, thank you mate :D it was a little unfair to photograph the Eduard seatbelts in macro, it reveals a slightly strange texture which is not noticeable IRL. They were a bit fiddly and I had to unstick parts of it from other parts that I hadn't intended to join (and that without the PVA they recommend to glue them with, which I did use where I wanted a permanent fix) but overall they were quite easy to use and as you note they do hang quite naturally in a way which would be difficult to replicate with etched metal.

Cheers all,

Stew

• Like 1

Thanks Wolwe, the belts are quite a new thing, I only saw them for the first time last month but I thought I'd give them a go :)

Thank you very much Winenut, I really enjoyed building it, I think it is a lovely little kit and the paintscheme was interesting to do as well, unfortunately I only found out most of the history of this aircraft after I had finished but sometimes that's what happens :doh:

Cheers,

Stew

• 3 weeks later...

Hi gents, I've just finished this - the Airfix rag-wing Hurricane in the markings of one of the aircraft licence-built by ZMAJ in Yugoslavia, April 1941:

Zmaj_5.jpg

Zmaj_6.jpg

This is my fourth attempt at the new-ish Airfix Hurricane, it's a lovely kit and I could still happily build more of them (and I most probably will). It's more or less OOB except for the aerial wire; I did scrape flat the ribbed panel behind the gun access covers as this was apparently metal not fabric-covered - it makes sense when you think about it and it only took a couple of minutes per wing to scrape the ribs off and scribe a new panel line in. I used the ejector-type exhausts although I did read somewhere that all the Zmaj Hurricanes had the kidney-type exhausts, I have seen photos of no.2337 where the exhaust is distinguishable they are clearly the later type.

For the camouflage I used the painting guide provided by Lift Here! Decals which recommended for Humbrol 84 Ochre, 98 Chocolate Brown and 116 Dark Green for the upper surfaces, and I used Precision Paints RLM65 for the undersurfaces as Lift Here! recommended Humbrol 65 for this, but I didn't have any of this among my paints and they are supposed to represent the same colour - I think the PP version is less bright and slightly greyer but I like the way it looks anyway.

As noted above the decals were from Lift Here! of Serbia and were excellent, a pleasure to use but sadly this set is quite difficult to get hold of now, I hope at some point they will re-release those items from their range which are currently out of stock as there are some interesting markings there and I know me, Mitch K and Sleeper Service on this forum at least would buy some of them! One possible point of controversy with the decals is that the upperwing Kosovo Cross is shown on the left wing in the instructions but it was possibly on the right wing - I have not been able to find a picture of 2347 which shows the upper wings so I went with the instructions. I also applied the gun-cover patches - I have seen models of Zmaj Hurricanes built without these, but have seen a photo of 2337 which appears to show some sort of patches over the gun-ports.

The Hurricanes no. 2347 and 2348 were the last Hurricanes produced by Zmaj and were delivered on 11th April 1941 (when Yugoslavia was already under attack by Germany) and were to be flown from Zemun to Veliki Radinci but were caught on the ground and strafed by Bf109s - 2347 was so severely damaged that it was abandoned. I found this out of course after I had finished my model, so my (rather overdone anyway) staining from the shell-ejector chutes is not at all appropriate, but such is life :D

As a footnote, this kit was built for a variety of coincidental reasons; Vanya66 and Mitch K have both recently produced excellent RYAF/VVKJ aircraft which inspired me to hunt down some decals to make a Zmaj-built Hurricane; I am moving up to Scotland at the weekend so the majority of my stash is packed and an Airfix Hurricane was at the top plus of a convenient size to build quickly and not have to re-pack half-finished and the decals arrived in time to complete it. I also wanted to try out the new Eduard micro-fabric seat harness set, which was quite easy to use (although it has a tendency to stick to itself if you are not careful) and looks quite effective once installed - see below:

Lovely work Stew.

as you are interested in detail, a couple of anoraky points.

The wing tips lights on British, and I assume Yugo planes were clear covers with coloured bulbs, and they are smaller than you have portrayed them, which has taken the edges of the light panel to be clear perspex as well. Note the clear tip covers in this photo, and their size.

hurr1-10.jpg

the clear covers can also be seen in this shot

3559753440_2e5c2791ef_o.jpg

very minor, and a great build.

If you like the scheme, and can't get the decals, 3 of these planes ended up with the Romanian airforce, and kept the Yugoslav camoflage colours.

cheers

T

• Like 1