Tamiya 48 scale Panther G

Farnarkle

Hello All,

This was a bit of an experiment and I usually do the occasional 72 scale armour kit. This is the third attempt at a larger scale. I would describe the build pretty good but the paint and weathering was a lot of blundering around in the dark. The scheme is from the Kagero mini top colours volume on the 'Panther in attack and defence'.

002_zps2e3cc614.jpg

003_zps151390ab.jpg

004_zpsd0cb024b.jpg

005_zps45387557.jpg

006_zps128f6a76.jpg

Happy Modelling all

Ian

• Like 11

OK, firstly, I am not an armour modeller and secondly, I couldn't tell a tank from a kangaroo.... But

I would describe the build pretty good but the paint and weathering was a lot of blundering around in the dark.

That has to be the most self-deprecating remark I've read on BM to date! The painting, in my eyes, is superb and and the weathering is simply brilliant. If you had taken those photos against a natural setting background in black and white, it would pass as the real thing and that, in my humble opinion, is the difference between a good model and a really great model.

I'm off to buy a model tank, now see what you've done.....

Thanks gents for the comments so far, It is really appreciated. Mark This really was a bit of an experiment for me. I don't know how many times I have been looking at forums and videos over the past month to help me get to the next stage in painting and weathering. So I guess credit to people like Mike Rinaldi who work I have tried to imitate. I do have a Tamiya 48 scale SdKfz 250/3 half track that I can finish in Pz gray. So another challenge lies ahead - But that is why we do it.... :)

• Like 1

great job all round, i like it!!!!.

regards oz!.

My advice? Keep blundering around like this. Great work, show us more!

Mac

Hi Mick, I have to think about this. Tracks were preshaded in rattle can black then airbrushed Tamiya metallic gray XF-56. Then a light coat of Tamiya XF 10 flat brown was mist sprayed over the flat bits but not the "teeth". I think I gave them a light wash in some games workshop brown ink. The tracks on the sides of the hull followed the same formula as previously described and were then washed with Tamiya weathering compact pigments "rust" the compact was brushed on with the addition of water to the compact to make it 'paintable' rather than rubbed on with a brush or their sponge applicator. Essentially if you use either a metallic grey or gunze aquaeous burnt iron H-76 base and add browns over the top thinly you should get a reasonable result. The tracks themselves were finished off by making a slurry with rubbing alcohol mixed with MiG pigments Russian Earth. A 6B pencil was used to add a metallic sheen to exposed cleats. There are some track weathering tutorials on the net that will provide some inspiration. Happy Modelling! Ian

Edited by Farnarkle
  • Like 1

Thanks gents for the comments so far, It is really appreciated. Mark This really was a bit of an experiment for me. I don't know how many times I have been looking at forums and videos over the past month to help me get to the next stage in painting and weathering. So I guess credit to people like Mike Rinaldi who work I have tried to imitate. I do have a Tamiya 48 scale SdKfz 250/3 half track that I can finish in Pz gray. So another challenge lies ahead - But that is why we do it.... :)

What a realistic paint job. The weathering is not overdone and looks spot on.

While we can all learn tips and tricks from other modellers, and admire their work, I would say never try to imitate their style. Instead imitate what you see in photos of the real thing!

Ian

"This was a bit of an experiment" you say. Fantastic work on this build, Love the Camo, Weathering is done like a picture out of "Weathering Magazine. The wheels are brilliantly weathered. Well done....Ian.