Peco N Gauge Platform Shelter

Bordfunker

Following Rick's lead I'd thought I'd post a slightly different WIP, which is destined for an N gauge layout that I am building.

So here's the obligatory shot of box and sprues.

IMG_20140926_200853.jpg

IMG_20140926_200957.jpg

It even comes with PE for the canopy valencing and notice boards! Take note Hasegawa!

IMG_20140926_201050.jpg

So not a lot to this as a build, seeing as after an hour I had this.

IMG_20140926_211406.jpg

IMG_20140926_211456.jpg

And a shot of that lovely PE.

IMG_20140926_211516.jpg

Now to let that lot harden off overnight before I break out the airbrush tomorrow for a coat of primer.

Just need to see if I've got some dark and light stone paints in the stash.

Karl

• Like 5

To you both, where did Stanier learn his trade?

True. He learned from Mr Churchward. You can definitely see the GWR influence in the taper boilers of Black Fives, rebuit Royal Scots etc.

There was a lot of cross-pollination between the railway companies. Henry Ivatt was CME of the Great Northern Railway. His son became the CME of the LMS and his daughter married Oliver Bulleid.

I believe a number of articles have been written that the majority of Stanier Loco design was completed with out much technical input from Stanier. Tommy Coleman an ex-North Staffs Railway designer should be credited for much of the work.

As you would expect as a CME for a large company he knew what he wanted and had people to make it happen.

Tin Hat Time?

Someone once said - that the Stanier Duchess class pacific - was the endpoint in the development of the GWR 4-cylinder locos !!!! and that the GWR wouldn't have developed it that far - as they were too set in their ways. :hobbyhorse::bleh:

I don't think that the GWR was set in their ways. They didn't need to develop the concept further. The Kings were perfectly capable of taking anything that was thrown at them. The Duchesses were built for an entirely different role, that of high speed and long distance on some very steep gradients. That sort of environment didn't exist on any of the GW routes.

However, just after the formation of British Railways, there was a major exchange programme which tested the express locos of each region on all the other regions. The Kings acquitted themselves very well indeed.

I think the GWR has always been seen as very tradionalist in its ways, however this was the company that introduced a 7 foot track gauge, and paid a heavy financial price for that decision.

Churchward always claimed that he wasn't an innovator, but a collector of ideas however I think this undersells his work on standardisation in locomotive design and construction that lead to the GWR having such a versatile and long lived loco fleet.

I think Collet added to that legacy, however I'm not convinced that the Kings really advanced anything they were just a bigger, less reliable Castle.

Rick, game on, I've got an entire layout to build.

Karl

• Like 2

OO at the front, N at the back for a forced perspective look.

I've seen that son on quite a few layouts use that technique.

I've managed to get some primer on the platform shelter today but haven't taken any pics yet.

Karl

• Like 2

Enzo I keep coming back go model railways, this time I intend to actually complete a layout though!

Finally managed to take some pics,here are the window frame in their white.

IMG_20140928_193000.jpg

And here's the bicycle shed, showing just how small it is.

IMG_20140928_193042.jpg

IMG_20140928_193051.jpg

And the main shelter itself.

IMG_20140928_193120.jpg

IMG_20140928_193128.jpg

Not a lot bigger.

Both buildings have since received a coat of dirty cream as benefits a decrepit wayside station on a backwater branch line on the Oxfordshire/Gloucestershire border.

I'll let that harden overnight, then I'll mask up for the dark stone woodwork.

Karl

• Like 1

There was a lot of cross-pollination between the railway companies. Henry Ivatt was CME of the Great Northern Railway. His son became the CME of the LMS and his daughter married Oliver Bulleid.

Were their children Bulleid at school?

Looking forward to seeing this. :popcorn:

It has reawakened my interest in railway stuff so I have ordered a few Parkside Dundas wagon kits.

More toy trains? :wicked:

• Like 1