Recently completed for the D-Day group build.

The particulars:

kit: AFV Club 1/35 M3A3 (Stuart V)

AM parts: Royal Model PE #342
Bronco T-16 workable track links

crew figure: Ultracast conversion

decals: Archer and home made/printed

grass: Gaugemaster

16179809215_5b525c88e9_b.jpg

Historical background:

Juno Beach sector, around the vicinity of Secqueville-en-Bessin, June 7th 1944.

Morning found the flanks of the Canadian Scottish infantry under heavy fire from German snipers. The 6th Canadian Armoured Regiment, also known as the First Hussars, were on hand in the infantry support role. A Lieutenant W.E.P. Smith was given the task to head out in his Stuart to recon the area. In a buttoned down tank, it was difficult to spot the enemy, so the lieutenant threw open his turret hatch for a better view.

With his upper body fully exposed, he was instantly hit by a sniper round in the arm, followed seconds later by another hitting the side of his helmet. Luckily, that one deflected upwards and out the top, causing no injury. His crew quickly rushed their wounded commander back to HQ. On arrival, he refused medical aid until he could fully relay the sniper positions he had seen just before being hit. For this act of bravery, plus several others during the advance inland, Smith was awarded the Military Cross.

Subsequently, two more Stuart recon tanks were sent to the area Smith had last been. There, they helped the Canadian Scottish unit to ferret out the Germans. More than thirty snipers were either killed or captured, resulting in a welcomed respite in the rear area.

15158119910_1b0e378fb6_b.jpg

15321791806_0347fdcd7e_b.jpg

15158288507_65e7c134da_b.jpg

15158287127_77b4b7fc16_b.jpg

15158050619_2f3f323bf3_b.jpg

15158114050_68539e27bf_b.jpg

15158282607_2b86ba0ae5_b.jpg

15158236578_9d2c19e406_b.jpg

15341632171_8915129805_b.jpg

15158057079_57d1e4510a_b.jpg

WIP thread can be found here>

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 42

You've turned out an incredibly impressive looking model there!

The tank on its own is a fantastic model, with the commander and simple little base added, a whole story develops!

Brilliant work :goodjob:

That is truly amazing Jack and it was fantastic to watch it being built in your WIP! It is a stunning model and the first photo could be of the actual scene. Brilliant!!! :worthy::worthy::worthy: :worthy:

Rémi, Sgt.Squarehead, Paulo Monteiro, fredben, HL-10, dubster72, The_Lancaster, Hamden, neilscrim, trickydicky210,snapper_city, batcode, and Plastix - thanks very much! Glad to share this and the history with everyone.

regards,
Jack

• Like 1

Jack

That is quite brilliant. Have you posted on Missing-Lynx? I'm sure it would go down well..

I'm especially impressed by the photos too - sorry if you've mentioned it before, but what camera did you use? I would dearly love to be able to take shots of such quality.

Ian

IanC, Colin and keefr22 - thanks for sharing your thoughts, much appreciated.

This one is posted over at Missing-Lynx, where I'm sure a few are going over it with a fine tooth comb. All responses have been positive, but there are some questions on why no external stowage, the colour choice of the periscope on the open hatch, and the diameter of the larger antenna.

Anyhow, the camera I've been using for the past few years is a DSLR, specifically the Nikon D3100. I took the advice from a member from the above site, and locked my camera in at f22. which still allows the telephoto to be used. Also rely on auto focus as well as auto detect white balance. Metering is set on 'spot' with an ISO of 200.

Photographed with a white background and natural daylight, but not directly in the sun. Once in photoshop, I'd adjust the intensity just enough to arrive at a pure white in the background, and a pinch of added contrast if required.

regards,
Jack

Edited by JackG

Very impressive! The tank, the figure, the groundwork, the photography etc. All first class.

Carius, louiex2, Bangor Lad, and Mac the Modeling Knife - thank you very much lads.

regards,

Jack

Tried to edit the opening post, so will add here that the date of said action should be June 8th.

Edited by JackG