1/28 Revell Sopwith Camel

Ahoy Chaps.

I was intending on taking a bit of a hiatus from model makering and focus on playing with trains for a while.

But I thought some form of WW1 Centenary tribute build would be in order.

So here is my build of the Revell 1.28 Sopwith Camel, No. 10 Squadron, Royal Naval Air Service, Teteghem, France, March 1918

15321090826_7a751ab434.jpg

15344130495_fe2d3d86dd.jpg

15157550748_2a7f11b1e7.jpg

15157597947_50cf90e273.jpg

15340951921_a9fdd12a12.jpg

15321096236_2966c0abe7.jpg

All brush painted with Revell acrylics, except for some Humbrol Acrylic Flesh and Tamiya Semi-Gloss clear.

This is obviously an example with the rarely seen upsidedown axle modification, because I'm an idiot...

A lot of flash, sink marks and holes that hadn't quite made it all the way through.

The instructions were a touch vague in parts, in others I would argue just plain wrong... Fit was a bit troublesome with a lot of the parts thicker on one half than the other, so there are a few somewhat impressive joins on it... The worst part is probably the fit of the ribs into the wing, trying to work out where to remove the plastic.

Anyhoo, it looks like an aeroplane, sort of..

• Like 7

It's so nice to see older kits get an airing every so often, and finished so well- it brings out challenges and test your skill levels.

For me good quality kits that almost fall together are fine, but problem solving with older kits still have their place and deserve merit. Fantastic looking build, well done.

The Scale chosen by Revell reflects their early policy of the kit fitting the box-?? As to why, but the nice thing is that it is big enough to add a great deal of detail.

As I said, having tried to follow the instructions, I realised afterwards that there seemed to be a couple of vital omissions. They have you attaching the string for the rear end before you put the body together, which then means you would have to put decals on with string coming out the middle. After I realised that the instructions seemed to have missed out one hole entirely, and I'd put the string in different holes in either side, I detached the elevator control string, opened the holes that were closed by flash, then threaded the elevator string through in a continuous loop after I had put the decals on.

I added another couple of details I got from pictures, like the white section on the strut with the air speed propellor on it.

I also put a little tie around the bracing where it crosses over above the machine guns and superglued it in position as otherwise the bracing was resting on the guns which I didn't like.