What 1:35 Tank?

Deacon

A bit of a broad question I know guys, but with all the 1:35 stuff out there I want to make sure I buy something that looks good, builds nicely OOB and is reasonably priced.

I usually build 1:72 stuff, but have been looking at the 1:35 AFV builds on here and elsewhere and I'm very tempted to try my hand at the larger scale.

To make things even more difficult, I'm not really bothered as to what period or nationality either (not WW1 though).

I tend to need projects that take no longer than a week to build and paint as my attention seems to wonder after 7 days.

Any help, recommendations would be appreciated, especially if you yourself have built a kit and it falls into the categories mentioned (there is a lot of stuff on the net where

reviewers say "This SHOULD build into a nice kit".) your personal experiences help a lot.

Cheers

Deacon

Most (all?) of the new tool Tamiya kits that have come out over the last say 10 or 15 years have been a pleasure to build.

As an ageing, ham fisted modeller I've had no problem with the following - T55, Cromwell/Centaur, Type 90, Leopard 2A5, Challenger 2.

Chris

• Like 1

There's some great deals over on the For Sale forum right here on BM, though I feel obliged to declare an interest. :whistle:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967396-135-armour-172-typhoon/

The Cromwell in particular would be a nice simple introduction to 1:35, and with just a single colour would be a doddle to paint. Staghound not too complex either.

Edit: Sorry, posted the Trade link rather than the Sale link; now corrected!

regards,

Jason

Edited by JasonC
  • Like 1

Given your criteria,

A bit of a broad question I know guys, but with all the 1:35 stuff out there I want to make sure I buy something that looks good, builds nicely OOB and is reasonably priced.

To make things even more difficult, I'm not really bothered as to what period or nationality either (not WW1 though).

I tend to need projects that take no longer than a week to build and paint as my attention seems to wonder after 7 days.

I would stay away from some of the Meng kits as they can become a little complex and take a lot longer than your timeframe, which I understand completely. I too lose interest if they take too long, though I compensate by having several going on at a time. For the same complexity reason I would stay away from Bronco, Riich, Dragon and AFV Club, great kits but complex to build.

As for period I can only comment on Modern, but what the others have said regarding Tamiya kits are true, they build quickly and usually easily, but stay away from their older kits. Suggestions are T-55, Leo 2a6 or 6, Challenger 2, Leclerc, T-26, BT-7, IS-2. You may want to consider Academy kits, M113, M1A1, Merkava, as well as Hobbyboss and Trumpeter, though some of the most recent Trumpy kits are getting to be over 1000 parts. To ease things, stay away from individual link tracks, they look better but really add to the build time.

All of the above is from personal experience. Also, check out the reviews on Armorama, Missing Lynx and AMPS.

Graham

• Like 1

For something a little different, the Tamiya Char B1.bis is very nice, as are their various T-55s. The T-55 Enigma looks really cool and would be possible to build and paint in a week.

7459424928_3db4553118_c.jpg

The above was my first 1/35 armour effort since my teens, painted with a Tamiya rattle can and using the kit vinyl tracks.

I also enjoyed building the Academy CV9040 - it's very easy to put together although painting it is a bit more complicated owing to the splinter camo!

Will

• Like 1

For something a little different, the Tamiya Char B1.bis is very nice, as are their various T-55s. The T-55 Enigma looks really cool and would be possible to build and paint in a week.

7459424928_3db4553118_c.jpg

The above was my first 1/35 armour effort since my teens, painted with a Tamiya rattle can and using the kit vinyl tracks.

I also enjoyed building the Academy CV9040 - it's very easy to put together although painting it is a bit more complicated owing to the splinter camo!

Will

You achieved that finish with a rattle can? Well done sir.

Thanks for your input guys.

I want to my local hobby shop and bought Zvezda's T-90 for £20 and Tamiya's T-72 M1 for £25.00.

There will be more added to the stash from the kits you have suggested as he had the Tamiya Cromwell and Centaur

each for £20.

Alan

• Like 1

The Tamiya Shermans are reasonably easy to build, as they don't have a great deal of internal detail. The older kits aren't badly priced either.

Ive built three and found they assemble quite nicely straight OOB, and look good.

I just wish they'd do a cast hull M4 A1.

What ever you choose, enjoy!!!👍

Regards Adrian

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire
  • Like 1

One thing crossed my mind - the Tamiya 1/48 stuff is generally very good indeed. Usually less complex to build than 1/35, decent detail, and still a good bit bigger and heftier than 1/72.

Will

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys for not getting back sooner, I've been ill with flu.

Just wanted to say thanks for your responses. Now I just need to have a word with the bank manager! :)

Edited by Deacon

• 2 weeks later...