Williams FW14B 1/12 Tamiya

nw005uk

After too much time on my current 1/24 FA2 Build I think I need a break and try something new. So here we are. I have never tried a Car let alone in big scale. So take a look and if you have any suggestions please feel free to let me know.

Today the kit arrived, the box art looks great:

IMG_2674.jpg

And inside there is a lot but it look fab and looking forward to making a start.

bb2daa5c-cdc7-4589-a0d3-fa4a8f5355c5.jpg

If anyone wants more pictures of the kit prior to starting I can post some but let me know before I put knife to plastic.

Enjoy

Nick

I`m in , suggestions - don`t rush it if you start losing motivation put it away until your ready again , if your not a car builder and your not sure about something just ask there are many quality builders on this part of the forum who will point you in the right direction

Red 5

The Tamiya 1/12th F1 cars are all beautiful but they really raised the bar with the Mclaren MP4/4, the Ferrari 190 and the FW14B, such a shame they didn't upscale the Jordan 191 from their 1/20th range!

I'll be looking forward to seeing this one finished and the only suggestion I have is to get the Zero paints that are matched to the original here and to get the Camel decals here and no, I have no commercial interest in Hiroboy but I do think that Steve does an incredible job with the paints!

Thanks for the tips so far, I have seen a few threads about using different paints for the car. I shall stick with the Tamiya recommendations as a few have said the Zero's are potentially a little darker.

The kit and little goodies in the box so far look great and am raring to go. Sadly I have been called away to London this evening for stuff.

I will start this once I am back tomorrow evening. The SHAR is just on hold as converting it from an FRS1 requires a lot of work, filling and sanding. It will be nice to work on something a little more dust free.

Nick

If you have paypal get on to Hobbylink Japan Quick - they have just re-stocked the tyre template for the 1/12 FW16B , I`ve just ordered a normal 1/12 tyre template for my MP4/6 , the one I`ve ordered is now out of stock so be quick these stencils are like hens teeth .

when in the search section put in TIRE TEMPLATE not tyre template , they spell it different in Japan .

Red 5

Your not wrong F1 , I am or was a big fan of Mansell , but don`t have this kit in the stash yet , still spending a small fortune on aftermarket bits to make Senna`s MP4/6 .

Nick the blue colour of the real car is highly debateable some say the tamiya kit is correct some say the blue is to light , for me its to light I saw this car race at the British GP and it was darker , not sure what options you have with the decals , only my opinion but I would get the pinstripe decals which include camel decals from spotmodel and use zero paints , zero paints are superb but require a gloss coat.

Red 5

Great kit, built a couple of these over the years.

It is a good kit out of the box and there are plenty of aftermarket stuff if you want to go mad.

Paint wise I would agree with Red 5, go with Zero paints and get hold of some pinstripe decals. This sort of thing if you can get hold of a set. http://www.hlj.com/product/SHKD248/Aut

Looking forward to this one.

So today I made a start. First off was washing all the plastic parts to get rid of any grease and dirt. So you can see a little more of the kit here are all the plastic parts that make this great model.

IMG_2696.jpg

I will add another update tomorrow with the engine as just added the priming coat.

Enjoy

Nick

A good evening of engine building albeit a but late now. I will get the pics on tomorrow once stage 3 is done. The engine goes together quite well with not too many fit issues. I have began to use carbon fibre decal on some of the parts so we will see how that pans out! So far I would give myself a 5/10.

Pictures tomorrow I promise

Nick

• 4 weeks later...