WIP: Airfix A02029 ME109G-6 Finnish Air Force 1/72

Hi all

Here is my new victim, the Bf109G6 from Airfix.

Not a top notch kit, but not bad at all. Good kit for the buck!

BF109G6_FIN001.jpg

BF109G6_FIN002.jpg

BF109G6_FIN003.jpg

The kit presents three painting schemes:

• "MT-422" flown by SSgt. Bjore Hielm of 2/HLeLv 31, Suomen Ilmavoimat (Finnish Air Force), 1948.
  • "Double Chevron and Bar" flown by Maj. Kurt Brandle of II./JG 3, Luftwaffe, 1943.
  • "4-70" of 23 Gruppo, 3 Stormo, Regia Aeronautica, St. Cerveteri, August 1943.

I like different painting schemes and the Italian was appealing, but the national insignia in the wings are wrong, so I decided for the Finnish version. It helped that a Finnish GB was formed in the Webkits website!

Here are the photos for the instructions and decals, just in case someone needs it.

BF109G6_FIN004.jpg

BF109G6_FIN005.jpg

BF109G6_FIN006.jpg

BF109G6_FIN007.jpg

BF109G6_FIN008.jpg

BF109G6_FIN009.jpg

BF109G6_FIN010.jpg

BF109G6_FIN011.jpg

BF109G6_FIN012.jpg

Looking through the web the only profile I found was this one below:

BF109G6_FIN013.jpg

However, in various discussion forums such as: Webkits, Hyperscale, Britmodeller and ww2aircraft. I found that the shark mouth and the bat+moon emblem were never applied together.

According to that sources the MT-422 ME109 was a G-6 allocated to 2/HLeLv 31 in Utti, Finland, with W.Nr. 411938, Stammkennzeichen RX+RX. Also, the MT-422 was one of the very few G-6 aircraft to be repainted in so called Finnish War scheme: Upper surface in Olive Green + Black and Underside in Light Blue Grey (DN-Grey).

BF109G6_FIN017.jpg Source: http://ipmsstockholm.org/

It also states that SSgt Borje Hielm (later founder of the Finnish IPMS branch) painted the famous shark mouth on his plane (MT-422). That took place in February 1948. But the nose art was only for a short period due to the painting being ordered to be washed out before Air Force Day (06/03/1948).

The Bat + Moon emblem was introduced to use from June 1948 onwards. Thereafter, most probably the shark mouth and bat+moon emblem was not painted at the same time, because they did not exist in the same period of time.

Another interesting information is that the MT-422 was "normal' G-6, this meaning: heavy framed canopy, short tail and sometimes wing-gun gondolas were installed, but no guns inside the wing. Another interesting feature is the spinner in RLM70 (not black) with White tip.

After saying that, I'll be doing my model as per the profile below, except for not using that weird green on the spinner.

BF109G6_FIN015.jpg

Here is the only photo of the real aircraft that apparently exists:

BF109G6_FIN014.jpg

That's it for while! Stay tuned!

Edited by ArmouredSprue
  • Like 3

Ooh I LOVE BF 109's..... :heart:

This is going to be one exciting buildoto follow..

the more BF109 the better :yahoo:

Good luck :thumbsup:

Thanks mate!

I definitely will need luck with this kit. The interior is scarce, to say the least! :analintruder:

• Like 1

Tally ho sir!, I'm building the same era Spit IX which has the same problems, 'orrble canopy, no interior and dodgy fit. Early "new" air fix is a challenge but I'm sure you will come out with a corker.

Well! I do hope so!

But dont raise your expectations! :banghead:

Good one Paulo...LOL

Damn you're going to show me up!

I built mine with more trouble than the early settlers right here...http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234944958-airfix-172-bf109g-finnish-airforce-1948/?hl=109g#entry1381254

I'm sure yours will be more trouble free than mine and ten times as good :guitar:

Chocks away mate

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

Hi!

It looks for me that Airfix Finnish upper surface camouflage scheme is a mirror image. Also fin/rudder colours don't look at all typical Finnish "war-paint" camouflage. Extracted side profile is much more accurate.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

Good one Paulo...LOL

Damn you're going to show me up!

I built mine with more trouble than the early settlers right here...http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234944958-airfix-172-bf109g-finnish-airforce-1948/?hl=109g#entry1381254

I'm sure yours will be more trouble free than mine and ten times as good :guitar:

Chocks away mate

Cheers

Bruce

Dont raise your expectations mate! The kit is very simple and I dont know if I will be able to make a decent interior from scratch.

Cheers

• Like 2

Hi!

It looks for me that Airfix Finnish upper surface camouflage scheme is a mirror image. Also fin/rudder colours don't look at all typical Finnish "war-paint" camouflage. Extracted side profile is much more accurate.

Cheers,

AaCee

Hi AaCee

Thanks for your comments!

My plan is to follow the side profile.

Keep feeding me up with comments and critics, please!

• Like 1

Need to see your progress pics soon..... :yahoo: don't keep us on tenterhooks. ...

Be patient Grasshopper! :sleep_1:

I was checking the sprues (and gave it a bath with dishwash soap to clean the mould releases etc) and this kit biggest problem is the interior. So, checking my stach I reached for the Airfix new tool ME109 E and tried the cockpit floor and seat, guees what? It fits perfectly!

So I rank my mate Jamie and ask if he could make me a couple of resin copies, he said he could try and I'm taking it to his place tonight.

Let's see the results.

Meanwhile I stalled with the building.

Cheers

Paulo

• Like 2

Here are some details that might help you. These pictures are from Magazine called "Suomen Ilmailuhistoriallinen Lehti"

Instrument panel in your case lower one is correct choice. This panel was designed after war for night fighters and in theory all Me-109's allocated to this task should have this modification. And note German night fighter instrument panel was different.

image3-vi.jpg?1411564437

And then maybe small detail you want add to model: Gun camera installation. This was also post war modification.

image1-vi.jpg

And picture from real thing.

image2-vi.jpg

• Like 4

You crazy cat Paulo...getting resin parts made up.....that's so cool.

Chocks away....really can't wait to see what you do with this kit.

I'm sure your build will be faster than mine LOL!!! :analintruder:

• Like 1

Bye the way being new back into modelling I think I accidentally reversed the upper black and green on the camo on my Finnish version! HA HA!

What a joke I am!....still no one looking in my cabinet had any idea so I think I got away with it LOL :winkgrin:

Chocks away mate!!! Vá em frente!

• Like 1

Here are some details that might help you. These pictures are from Magazine called "Suomen Ilmailuhistoriallinen Lehti"

Instrument panel in your case lower one is correct choice. This panel was designed after war for night fighters and in theory all Me-109's allocated to this task should have this modification. And note German night fighter instrument panel was different.

image3-vi.jpg?1411564437

And then maybe small detail you want add to model: Gun camera installation. This was also post war modification.

image1-vi.jpg

And picture from real thing.

image2-vi.jpg

Hi Vesa

Wow! Thank you so much for this fine information, much appreciated!

You crazy cat Paulo...getting resin parts made up.....that's so cool.

Chocks away....really can't wait to see what you do with this kit.

I'm sure your build will be faster than mine LOL!!! :analintruder:

My friend Jamie is not an experienced caster but he is trying hard to help me out. He promised some results Tuesday fortnight.

My backup plan if the cast are not good is to try to scratch it using plasticard and patient. Therefore my build will not be in a fast pace.

Bye the way being new back into modelling I think I accidentally reversed the upper black and green on the camo on my Finnish version! HA HA!

What a joke I am!....still no one looking in my cabinet had any idea so I think I got away with it LOL :winkgrin:

Chocks away mate!!! Vá em frente!

kkkkkk! These things happens!

BTW! Your portuguese has improved a lot :)

• Like 1

Hi AaCee

Thanks for your comments!

My plan is to follow the side profile.

Keep feeding me up with comments and critics, please!

Hello Paolo,

You have done your homework so well that I can only admire it! But there are some features in Finnish camouflage any old farth modelling this topic 40 years or so knows by hearth ;) My comments are based on that. I have built this very same plane 35+ years ago from a Jo-Han kit... Also I have had the privilege to discuss about this plane with late Mr. Hielm.

One thing to notice in ¨09's in this livery was asymmetric colour demarcation line below the tail planes. Best set of pictures I found is here: http://www.kolumbus.fi/kari.stenman/2003_january_february_theme.html

Usually there was a black area on the trailing edge as on the profile in this chain. MT-213 lacked this.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

Hello Paolo,

You have done your homework so well that I can only admire it! But there are some features in Finnish camouflage any old farth modelling this topic 40 years or so knows by hearth ;) My comments are based on that. I have built this very same plane 35+ years ago from a Jo-Han kit... Also I have had the privilege to discuss about this plane with late Mr. Hielm.

One thing to notice in ¨09's in this livery was asymmetric colour demarcation line below the tail planes. Best set of pictures I found is here: http://www.kolumbus.fi/kari.stenman/2003_january_february_theme.html

Usually there was a black area on the trailing edge as on the profile in this chain. MT-213 lacked this.

Cheers,

AaCee

Hi AaCee

Much appreciated your help.

Youve raised a few questions to me (I will be pleased if you could answer them):

1) What do you mean by assymetric colour demarcation between the DN and Olive+black camo is exactly (or most likely) as in that colour scheme from Airfix, right? Im planning to make this camo free hand, so it will definitely will have some differences from each side of the plane.

2) The national insignia (the circles) does it have the outside black outline or not?

3) By the photo below I can see the wheel wells are painted the same colour as the interior (RLM 66 ????).

http://www.kolumbus.fi/kari.stenman/theme/2003_january_february_03.jpg

4) I didnt understand about the black area in the trailing edges, could you explain it better please?

Thanks again!

Paulo

Hi,

I Think AaCee will answer in more detail, but here is some answers:

1. Look this CU decal picture of CU-581 left and right sides and you get idea.

CU-vi.jpg

2. I don't have picture in hand, but Pentti Manninen's drawing points no black outline.

3. Wheel wells in that period I would bet for DN-colour. My logic is that it's easier for painter in that case. Darker colour in MT-213 picture can come from "protective bags" that were used in Bf109's.

And here is picture from Museum Bf-109

DSCN3644-vi.jpg

In this particular sample don't take colors as word of God. Plane was re-painted in 70's and is not necessarily 100% correct.

Edited by Vesa Jussila
  • Like 1

Hi,

I Think AaCee will answer in more detail, but here is some answers:

1. Look this CU decal picture of CU-581 left and right sides and you get idea.

CU-vi.jpg

2. I don't have picture in hand, but Pentti Manninen's drawing points no black outline.

3. Wheel wells in that period I would bet for DN-colour. My logic is that it's easier for painter in that case. Darker colour in MT-213 picture can come from "protective bags" that were used in Bf109's.

And here is picture from Museum Bf-109

DSCN3644-vi.jpg

In this particular sample don't take colors as word of God. Plane was re-painted in 70's and is not necessarily 100% correct.

Thank you very much Vesa!

This will do!

Cheers!

Hi AaCee

Much appreciated your help.

Youve raised a few questions to me (I will be pleased if you could answer them):

1) What do you mean by assymetric colour demarcation between the DN and Olive+black camo is exactly (or most likely) as in that colour scheme from Airfix, right? Im planning to make this camo free hand, so it will definitely will have some differences from each side of the plane.

2) The national insignia (the circles) does it have the outside black outline or not?

3) By the photo below I can see the wheel wells are painted the same colour as the interior (RLM 66 ????).

http://www.kolumbus.fi/kari.stenman/theme/2003_january_february_03.jpg

4) I didnt understand about the black area in the trailing edges, could you explain it better please?

Thanks again!

Paulo

Hi Paulo (and thanks, Vesa)!

1) I tried to say that left side under the horizontal tail colour is DN blue but on the other side it is green. The Curtiss drawing shows this clearly.

2) Certainly not in the fuselage and wing upper surfaces. It was ordered for light colour background so under surfaces should have it. But the only other Finnish G-6 (MT-466) in this camouflage was without the border in it's belly roundels.

3) In the nose photo gear wells are darker than under surface. Might even have retained original German RLM 02?

4) It is a feature of this camouflage to have two black areas in the fin and rudder. One in top of it and one in the trailing edge. Curtiss drawing shows also this clearly.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

Hi Paulo (and thanks, Vesa)!

1) I tried to say that left side under the horizontal tail colour is DN blue but on the other side it is green. The Curtiss drawing shows this clearly.

2) Certainly not in the fuselage and wing upper surfaces. It was ordered for light colour background so under surfaces should have it. But the only other Finnish G-6 (MT-466) in this camouflage was without the border in it's belly roundels.

3) In the nose photo gear wells are darker than under surface. Might even have retained original German RLM 02?

4) It is a feature of this camouflage to have two black areas in the fin and rudder. One in top of it and one in the trailing edge. Curtiss drawing shows also this clearly.

Cheers,

AaCee

Ok, AaCee and Thanks!

Just to be sure:

1) I should follow the Curtis painting scheme to the Me109, on the port side is DN Blue underneath the tail plane but on starboard side it is Olive + DN Blue.

2) Thecnically I should put the black outline on the underside roundels, but there a photo or something showing other G-6 (MT-466) without the black outline on their underside roundels.

3) on a G-6 should be RLM 66 or RLM 2? I would say 66.

4)I gotcha the fin black areas! Thanks!

Again, thank you so much for your help! :thumbsup2: