1/72 Italian Tornado ECR

1/72 Revell 50 Stormo Tornado ECR

The purpose of this build was to get some experience with acrylics and weathered/faded schemes, and because Tornadoes are very cool of course. I hope I've done it justice.

The base 'primer' coat is Model Master enamel Light Grey to give the acrylic something to 'bite'. The main coat is Lifecolor acrylic FS 36280 lightened with Lifecolor white. I then applied a 'wash' made up of an acrylic matt medium with a further lightened FS 36280. Weathering was done with ink pens and tempera paints. Decals are from an Italeri kit. I hope you enjoy and any advice is always welcome.

IMG_0765_zps9348a4c9.jpg

IMG_0728_zps4d82c34a.jpg

IMG_0718_zps47588575.jpg

Building a model of a subject gives you a great 'feel' for its design and shape. I know that the Tornado is known as the 'Big Fin' and now I completely understand why: the thing has a gigantic vertical fin.

IMG_0738_zps8cae0c78.jpg

IMG_0731_zpsd0817659.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 15

It is sad that the Italians, always so flamboyant, are now flying such drab-looking aircraft! Having said that, your build looks a no-nonsense job, well put together and weathered.

Shame about the lack of colours, but very well done!!!

Congrats.

JR

Edited by jean

I agree with Paul J above, very nice to see something different.

Thanks for sharing your great build.

Zhizhou

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Hi Glenn - Unfortunately, I just added white a few drops at a time until it 'looked right'. I know that method probably (and rightly) drives more advanced modellers mad. But it was quite a bit - I'd say approximately 1/3 white to 2/3 grey. An interesting thing about FS 36280 is that it seems to have a slight brown hue to it, but as it fades it takes on a bluer hue. Look at new Italian Typhoons versus weathered Tornadoes on the net to see what I mean. I couldn't believe that they are the same paint, and trolled many a forum to confirm that both Italian Eurofighters and Tornadoes are 36280. To Lifecolor's great credit, its FS 36280 has a brown hue out of the bottle, but lightened to a bluer hue when I added the white - it also airbrushed great thinned with distilled water and a couple drops of W&N flow improver.

I'm now tempted to one day build an AMI Typhoon with the less faded scheme, just to see the difference on my shelf.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I'm now tempted to one day build an AMI Typhoon with the less faded scheme, just to see the difference on my shelf.

Yeah, keep more Italian fighters coming :speak_cool: Your model is actually inspiring me, I'll have to search for a good 1 72 Tornado and 1 72 Typhoon ... :Tasty:

Ciao

Again, thanks for the comments everybody - I know boring grey schemes do not have wide appeal, and I appreciate that you have taken time to look at my humble effort.

I'll have to search for a good 1 72 Tornado and 1 72 Typhoon

Giemme, from what I've learned, I think the consensus is that the best 1/72 Tornado is the Revell followed by the Hasegawa. I can say that the Revell kit went together great - I just had trouble with the functioning swing-wing and pylons. I ended up fixing everything in place, and if I did it again I'd add a plasticard 'shim' under each wing to keep them level - mine droop too much. I have a Hasegawa F3, but haven't built it yet (hope to find decals for 1435 Flight in the Falklands).

It seems the best 1/72 Typhoon is the Hasegawa followed by Revell. You can probably buy 3 Revell kits for the price of the Hasegawa, which is exactly what I've done. I have one Hase kit and 3 Revell. I've only built the Hasegawa (in RAF 3 sqn scheme) and it is a very nice kit.

And I've seen your 1/48 F3 and your in progress 1/72 F-4 - awesome work.

• Like 1

Giemme, from what I've learned, I think the consensus is that the best 1/72 Tornado is the Revell followed by the Hasegawa. I can say that the Revell kit went together great - I just had trouble with the functioning swing-wing and pylons. I ended up fixing everything in place, and if I did it again I'd add a plasticard 'shim' under each wing to keep them level - mine droop too much. I have a Hasegawa F3, but haven't built it yet (hope to find decals for 1435 Flight in the Falklands).

It seems the best 1/72 Typhoon is the Hasegawa followed by Revell. You can probably buy 3 Revell kits for the price of the Hasegawa, which is exactly what I've done. I have one Hase kit and 3 Revell. I've only built the Hasegawa (in RAF 3 sqn scheme) and it is a very nice kit.

And I've seen your 1/48 F3 and your in progress 1/72 F-4 - awesome work.

Cooken, thank you for your advice, and I'm glad you like my builds :thumbsup2: . I'm trying to improve my skills, but building jets in 1/48 (my favorite scale) raises space issues - hence my try at 1/72 with the F-4.

As for the kits you mention: I ordered today the Revell Typhoon, which really seems a lot of value for the money. I found it at around 20€, shipped to my door. I might as well have a look at Revell's Tornado; as I said, yours is very inspirational.

Thanks again

Ciao

• Like 1